Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-16-2021, 08:52 PM   #1
TNfirstgen

Drives: 1969 Chevy Camaro 2021 Camaro LT1
Electric cutouts vs muffler delete

I recently bought a new LT1 Camaro and have found myself already looking for an exhaust, but I am not willing to spend $1000-$1500 just yet. I had been considering doing the muffler delete, but this car is my daily and I do not want to wake up the whole neighborhood as I leave for work early in the morning. This is where I started looking into electric cutouts. Will the use of cutouts cause any harm to the engine due to a change in back pressure (potential of leaning out)? Will a tune be necessary with the muffler delete or cutouts? I believe with the cutouts being back near the muffler that they will not make the O2 sensors adjust the air fuel mixture, but I certainly want to confirm this.
TNfirstgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 10:10 PM   #2
ste6000

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
honestly i'd save up and get the exhaust if you dont do a delete. the troubles you'll get might cause more headache. only my thoughts.

2018 Camaro SS - Hyper Metallic Blue
ste6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 07:19 AM   #3
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
As long as you put the cutouts downstream past the cats I can't see how that would be any different than a no muffler setup and far as how the ecu performs. Each to their own though but for me straight pipes and/or cutouts just sound like an old clapped out truck with rusted out mufflers - especially at idle. Now if you go cam and headers then cutouts are sweet!

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 07:23 AM   #4
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
Old adage of buy once, cry once...
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 03:50 PM   #5
chaospiece

Drives: 2018 SS, 2016 GT
I've been running cutouts right before the muffler for years. It won't do anything to the engine. I wouldn't do a muffler delete, it sounds unrefined.

Cutouts sound better because part of the sound still passes through the muffler and gets filtered making them sound deeper.
Alot of camaro people like the way mine sounds especially that I paid $200 for everything and they paid $1500 for the same basic sound, sometimes even more raspy.
chaospiece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 07:46 AM   #6
SJFGTO
Oh Oh it's Friday Night!

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE Nightfall Gray
Save your money for a good cat back. Muffler deletes sound like a garbage truck. Pure ass. Your Camaro deserves way better.
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE NFG; ARH 2” headers, catless mids, ARH full exhaust, Lingenfelter 18% lower pulley, ATI Harmonic Balancer, Roto-fab CAI, EE-catch can, TM ported TB, NX Lid, BMR strut tower brace. Aeroforce dual pod interceptor gauges. Tuned by Vengeance Racing!!! 644 HP @ 6250 rpm / 689 trq @ 3660 rpm

Four that wanna own me
Two that wanna stone me
One says she's a friend of mine...
SJFGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 04:44 PM   #7
Vlavsky

Drives: Camaro LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaospiece View Post
I've been running cutouts right before the muffler for years. It won't do anything to the engine. I wouldn't do a muffler delete, it sounds unrefined.

Cutouts sound better because part of the sound still passes through the muffler and gets filtered making them sound deeper.
Alot of camaro people like the way mine sounds especially that I paid $200 for everything and they paid $1500 for the same basic sound, sometimes even more raspy.
Is it obnoxiously loud or not too bad? Also, is that the going rate for cutouts these days?
Vlavsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 08:31 PM   #8
TNfirstgen

Drives: 1969 Chevy Camaro 2021 Camaro LT1
From the videos I’ve heard, the muffler delete on these cars doesn’t sound just awful like most vehicles, but granted that is a video and it’s hard to judge accurately. I am more of a fan of the cutouts just for the reason i can keep it quite until I’m out on the Highway. I plan on doing a full exhaust once I am done using this car as a daily in a few years, so that is also part of my hesitation on just buying an axle back. QuickTime performance posted a video (https://youtu.be/z3xShlPxffc) of their electric cutouts and I think they give the car a pretty good sound that is loud on demand, but I was just curious if for some odd reason this would require a new tune, thus voiding my warranty.
TNfirstgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 01:18 AM   #9
chaospiece

Drives: 2018 SS, 2016 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlavsky View Post
Is it obnoxiously loud or not too bad? Also, is that the going rate for cutouts these days?
If it's obnoxious only open them part way. You can control the volume completely. They're pretty cheap, like $120 on amazon.

sound clip for people.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bls_1aun...=1tjf85n4sji1x
chaospiece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 08:54 AM   #10
gchu

Drives: Chevy Camaro
I went through the same debate with my 1SS that lacked NPP

Decided against the cutouts when I didn't want to deal with wiring a switch and had heard it can rattle over time

Went with the stock NPP with the valves constantly opened (lucked out getting a used rear diffuser locally) so all in cost me $200

I did run the car after I cut off my non-NPP muffler - hated the sound (just the opinions of my teenage son and I)

Once we got the NPP muffler on, it sounded awesome... just enough crackle and pop and noise level for us....

My fiancé hated it to which I replied - "But it was a great father son project" LOL
gchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 09:45 AM   #11
Vlavsky

Drives: Camaro LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by gchu View Post
I went through the same debate with my 1SS that lacked NPP

Decided against the cutouts when I didn't want to deal with wiring a switch and had heard it can rattle over time

Went with the stock NPP with the valves constantly opened (lucked out getting a used rear diffuser locally) so all in cost me $200

I did run the car after I cut off my non-NPP muffler - hated the sound (just the opinions of my teenage son and I)

Once we got the NPP muffler on, it sounded awesome... just enough crackle and pop and noise level for us....

My fiancé hated it to which I replied - "But it was a great father son project" LOL
I’d love to go the NPP route especially for that price but have to get really lucky with finding a diffuser. We’ll see I guess.
Vlavsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 09:20 PM   #12
gchu

Drives: Chevy Camaro
Quote:
I’d love to go the NPP route especially for that price but have to get really lucky with finding a diffuser. We’ll see I guess.
Before I found the used rear diffuser, believe a new OEM rear diffuser was about $200... the OEM NPP mufflers are about $100 used so even that route you could get it done for $300

There's a rear diffuser on Ebay right now - though it must be a mistake since shipping is less than $8
gchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 07:24 AM   #13
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
Quote:
If that is what you really want to do just cut the rear valence out for the quad tips. Otherwise a muffler delete is the way to go. Everyone that says they sound like crap on this car is just trying to justify their $1500+ exhausts. Cutouts would be the best of both worlds.
Old 01-26-2021, 11:56 AM   #14
LT1ornothing

Drives: 2020 LT1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfirstgen View Post
I recently bought a new LT1 Camaro and have found myself already looking for an exhaust, but I am not willing to spend $1000-$1500 just yet. I had been considering doing the muffler delete, but this car is my daily and I do not want to wake up the whole neighborhood as I leave for work early in the morning. This is where I started looking into electric cutouts. Will the use of cutouts cause any harm to the engine due to a change in back pressure (potential of leaning out)? Will a tune be necessary with the muffler delete or cutouts? I believe with the cutouts being back near the muffler that they will not make the O2 sensors adjust the air fuel mixture, but I certainly want to confirm this.
On on the fence on this as well. My non npp LT1 is very quiet which is great for stealth, and I do appreciate the civil cold starts. Been leaning towards cut outs, but fear of rattle or electric valve failure has me skeptical. I've strongly considered manual cutouts, they are much cheaper, but going under the car will get annoying quickly. I might just wait out the power train warranty to expire and install catless 2" long tube headers and bolt that up to the factory non npp exhaust. Decisions, decisions...
LT1ornothing is offline   Reply With Quote