#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 04-25-2024, 08:11 AM   #15
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
Several points to add:

1. As 23_ZL1-Auto mentioned, you have to unbolt the supercharger from the engine to lift it up to replace the PCV diverter. The bolts are torque to yield. You are technically not suppose to reuse these bolts because the threads are stretched. A new set of bolts should be purchased to reattach the supercharger to the engine.

2. You have a 2024 stock ZL1 so I’m guessing you still have a good portion of your warranty remaining. Should your ZL1 have a major engine failure, there’s a very good chance GM will void the warranty if it sees the catch can. Now some may argue that you can remove the catch can prior to service. However, it’s not a simple procedure and you’re going to need a new set of bolts every time.

Now it sounds like I’m arguing against a catch can. I’m not. On a modified high HP engine it makes perfect sense. On a stock engine I’m not convinced the effort to install and risk to warranty are worth it. There are a lot of GM DI engines out there with thousands of miles on them with no catch can that still run perfectly fine.
Old 04-25-2024, 08:12 AM   #16
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by split_bumper View Post
If that "girl" driver on youtube can do it. I feel I can. haha. Are you guys using new super charger bolts and a seal. Or re using the old ones? Car is only 6months old. Some tutorials use new bolts and some don't. Thanks for all the help thus far.
I believe the blower mounting bolts are TTY. The seals are probably fine (I think there are 5, total).

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 10:40 AM   #17
2023_ZL1-AUTO

Drives: 2023 ZL1 - Modified All Bolt On's
Quote:
Originally Posted by split_bumper View Post
If that "girl" driver on youtube can do it. I feel I can. haha. Are you guys using new super charger bolts and a seal. Or re using the old ones? Car is only 6months old. Some tutorials use new bolts and some don't. Thanks for all the help thus far.
I reused mine a few times and broke one off and had to remove the entire supercharge, hoses coolant etc. to back the broken bolt out. They are not expensive, maybe ok to use them once after first removal. But, I buy new now every time! I agree the seals are probably fine, but the 10 bolts that hold down Supercharger are TTY, so get new ones!
2023 ZL1 A10 - CSP 2" Long Tube Headers by Stainless Works | Gesi G-Sport High Flow CATs | Stainless Works Legend NPP Axle Back | Roto-Fab Big Gulp | Kong NM103mm | Kong X-Port/Polish w/Griptech 2.3" Upper | Granatelli Malevolent Coil Packs | Granatelli 0 Ohm Plug Wires | Katech Valve Covers w/Coil Relocation | FI Interchillers Blower Spacer Plates | Mighty Mouse Mild | JMS Flex Fuel Booster | DSX Flex Fuel Kit | DSX Billet Lid | DMS 2gal Fender Tank | NT555R2's 305/285 | AEM w/b AFR | Banks iDash Data Monster | HPTuners MPVi3 Module and Licenses (ECU & CCM) | Remote Tuned by Ted at JRE
2023_ZL1-AUTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 04:34 PM   #18
split_bumper

Drives: 24 ZL1, 6.2L Denali, 73 SplitBumper
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk02 View Post
Several points to add:

1. As 23_ZL1-Auto mentioned, you have to unbolt the supercharger from the engine to lift it up to replace the PCV diverter. The bolts are torque to yield. You are technically not suppose to reuse these bolts because the threads are stretched. A new set of bolts should be purchased to reattach the supercharger to the engine.

2. You have a 2024 stock ZL1 so I’m guessing you still have a good portion of your warranty remaining. Should your ZL1 have a major engine failure, there’s a very good chance GM will void the warranty if it sees the catch can. Now some may argue that you can remove the catch can prior to service. However, it’s not a simple procedure and you’re going to need a new set of bolts every time.

Now it sounds like I’m arguing against a catch can. I’m not. On a modified high HP engine it makes perfect sense. On a stock engine I’m not convinced the effort to install and risk to warranty are worth it. There are a lot of GM DI engines out there with thousands of miles on them with no catch can that still run perfectly fine.

This is the reassurance I was looking for. Once my warranty is up I will consider it for sure. Until then, its just exactly that, do I really want to mess with something knowing I am leaving it stock. If i modify, well sure, but stock is it worth the hassle. If you didn't have to remove the super charger I may consider but having to do all that changes my thoughts on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2023_ZL1-AUTO View Post
I reused mine a few times and broke one off and had to remove the entire supercharge, hoses coolant etc. to back the broken bolt out. They are not expensive, maybe ok to use them once after first removal. But, I buy new now every time! I agree the seals are probably fine, but the 10 bolts that hold down Supercharger are TTY, so get new ones!

Noted. This is also what I was worried about, its safer insurance just to get new bolts each time. Thanks for the info.

https://cws.gm.com/vs-cws/vehshop/v2...FJ1R60R0111531
split_bumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 07:00 AM   #19
Elite Engineering

Drives: 2010 Camaro
If you want to stop nearly all of the oil and other contaminants there is only one that is that effective, the E2-X Ultra system. And it provides full time vacuum suction on the crankcase instead of simply venting pressure once it builds. Nothing else comes close:

Catch Can Comparison Mightymouse vs Elite Engineering Ultra
MightyMouse Catch Can vs Elite Engineering Ultra Catch Can, which one catches more oil, which one is better? The Elite catch can is designed by Tracy Lewis P...
www.youtube.com
And:

Elite Engineering E2-X vs Mightymouse Catch Can Shoot Out
In this video I compare the Elite Engineering E2-X catch can with the MightyMouse catch can that has the new super centre in it. I want to see which one is better at trapping oil. I also run an APEX catch can during the test to evaluate the catch can design and how effective it is at trapping oil. I conducted the test by running each can for ...
www.youtube.com
And one more to understand the benefits of a proper full time vacuum crankcase evacuation system:

SDPC Tech Tips: Crankcase Vacuum and engine sealing
Wanting to gain a bit more power by going with a vacuum pump or dry sump setup? Something as simple as your rear main seal could become headache when diagnos...
www.youtube.com
Questions? Just ask. We challenge ANY other design to even come close to the effectiveness of our Patented system. Test conducted as in the first video link so all is fair and equal.

Sales questions and support? Email us direct at: Sales@EliteEngineeringUSA.com

Tech questions and support? Email us direct at: Tech@EliteEngineeringUSA.com

Elite Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 06:25 PM   #20
CalgaryZL1

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro ZL1
I am giddy, What a stellar product! 1/8 turn quick release a highly engineered quality catch can. This is a game changer in my mind. Going to do the 500 mile garage king lid removal test, to compared it to my current can. No more 50 1/4 turns to unscrew the son of a bitch.
Attached Images

CalgaryZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote