Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 04-01-2021, 01:41 PM   #1
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
New eFuel.... versus EVs...aaannd Go!

I don't post as much here as I used to, but I thought this could make for an interesting discussion or debate, and hopefully some insightful information will from from it. Let's try not to let this one dissolve into "EVs SUCK...blah blah blah"...but if it does it does.

So lets talk eFuels. This article does a good job of summing it up:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...sions-testing/

Basically, "they" have created a fuel that can be ran in modern ICE vehicles with no changes needed, and it reduces emissions by up to 85%, and when you count how it's actual made (by pulling carbon dioxide from the air) I've read it could even be a net negative result in terms of pollutants. If this is all true, then I find this to be very cool! So there must be a catch right? Hard to produce? Difficult to transport? Expensive per gallon? I'm not sure, but based on what I've read it currently is expensive, but with more research and ramping up of production, the costs could come way down.

If all of this is possible on eFuel, then why in the world isn't this huge news? I get that EVs are the current "darling" but if we can use what we have and almost stamp out emissions, then why don't we go that route instead? Maybe this can't be used in transport vehicles...such a diesel?

I'm not necessarily against EVs, nor am I for them. I love the idea of cutting down on emissions. But does it make sense to abandon ICE altogether and go full EV? After a few more huge leaps in EV technology...maybe it will. But if things don't get much better on that front over the next 5 + years, then no...it doesn't. It's currently too expensive, not convenient, and our power grid couldn't take it. I do think driving an EV could be fun in terms of the power delivery. Not fun when you take away the soul. Less maintenance would be sweet.

Maybe the answer is that developing and using both...is the answer.

OK...discuss!
Old 04-01-2021, 02:39 PM   #2
Jaxcam02

Drives: 2017 Silverado/2017 ZL1
this would definitely be a good way to coexist with the push for EVs across the board. I'm not ready to abandon cheap energy of gasoline and not have to worry about finding a electric station on cross country trips