Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 05-06-2017, 09:42 AM   #1
StevenBateman

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
SCT X4 Clear codes problem

So I got me 2011 SS about 2 weeks ago, got long tube headers installed with a full exhaust and was fully aware of the check engine light that would occur. I just received an SCT X4 tuner from another forum member and everything seems to work without issues other than after I clear the check engine light code, it will go off for my next drive but then I'll start the car up again afterwards and the check engine light comes back on. Not that it's a huge issue, but I'm juts curious if someone could shed some light as to why this is happening. Thanks!
BTR Stage 4 Cam, FTI 3600 Stall Converter, GM 3.91 Gears, GPI Intake Mod V2, CAI Cold Air Intake, SLP 25% Underdrive Pulley, LS3 Conversion, PRC Ported/Polished Heads, Stainless Power Long Tubes w/off-road pipes, Borla Atak Cat-Back Exhaust, Tru Cool 40K 482rwhp/425rwtq, Built and tuned by Champion Motors

StevenBateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 12:40 PM   #2
SteveVT

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Black/Inferno Orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynosteve View Post
You need to have a custom tune written for the sct so that it takes into account the headers being fitted to the car sir, feel free to pm me as i can hook you up with a custom tune to fix this and get even more power from your car
Doesn't the X4 have a tune option for LT headers built into it's supplied tunes?
- Volant CAI
- MBRP axle-back
- SCT X4
SteveVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 02:42 PM   #3
StevenBateman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveVT View Post
Doesn't the X4 have a tune option for LT headers built into it's supplied tunes?
Exactly! There's an option to select long tube headers in the supplied tunes, which is why I don't know why the light keeps coming on.
BTR Stage 4 Cam, FTI 3600 Stall Converter, GM 3.91 Gears, GPI Intake Mod V2, CAI Cold Air Intake, SLP 25% Underdrive Pulley, LS3 Conversion, PRC Ported/Polished Heads, Stainless Power Long Tubes w/off-road pipes, Borla Atak Cat-Back Exhaust, Tru Cool 40K 482rwhp/425rwtq, Built and tuned by Champion Motors

Old 05-06-2017, 02:44 PM   #4
StevenBateman

Quote:
You need to have a custom tune written for the sct so that it takes into account the headers being fitted to the car sir, feel free to pm me as i can hook you up with a custom tune to fix this and get even more power from your car
There's an option in the supplied tune for long tube headers, which I selected, so I'm just not understanding why the light keeps coming back on.

Old 05-06-2017, 07:16 PM   #5
hunter1660

Drives: 2011ss/rs camaro
There should be an option to turn the rear o2 sensors off...selecting the header option won't do that...the rear sensors need to unplugged too.
Old 05-07-2017, 09:17 AM   #6
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter1660 View Post
There should be an option to turn the rear o2 sensors off...selecting the header option won't do that...the rear sensors need to unplugged too.
This is what I was thinking too. Its the O2's causing the code.
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 09:22 AM   #7
mma

Drives: 1LE
disable rear O2s
mma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 09:35 AM   #8
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
+1 on rear O2 disable...and if you think the canned SCT is gonna make a BIG diff, think again....SCT has a SAFE tune, get back to dynoSteve ASAP and get a REAL tune...

BTW - SCT has their own help thread on this site, did you know about that? peace out...
Old 05-07-2017, 02:16 PM   #9
StevenBateman

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankwjr View Post
+1 on rear O2 disable...and if you think the canned SCT is gonna make a BIG diff, think again....SCT has a SAFE tune, get back to dynoSteve ASAP and get a REAL tune...

BTW - SCT has their own help thread on this site, did you know about that? peace out...
Did the rear o2 disable and seems to be holding it off. I'd go with a tune from him, but I don't have enough mods yet to make it worthwhile, not to mention I'll be camming the car within the next month, so I'll be getting a dyno tune along with it, so it would be kind pointless to get a custom tune done now.

Old 05-07-2017, 02:58 PM   #10
frankwjr

You could not be more wrong RE tune but to each his own...peace out...read my sig...see any cam?
Old 05-07-2017, 06:54 PM   #11
StevenBateman

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankwjr View Post
You could not be more wrong RE tune but to each his own...peace out...read my sig...see any cam?
Please explain what I'm wrong about exactly?

Old 05-07-2017, 09:48 PM   #12
frankwjr

If it's just a month no biggy, just that a stock car will run way better tuned even with no mods....

curious, do you have a beard and remember running into(talking across the lane in traffic) a couple in a XC90 last June on the interstate heading towards Niagara? Would be really weird if that was you lol!

anyway good luck with the cam!
Old 05-08-2017, 07:03 PM   #13
Kens ss

Drives: 2011 SS/RS , L99 convertible
Quote:
it also depends wether you have the rear 02 sensors connected or not as well because the adjustment in the programmer will not turn off hego coding
Steve, Confused here.... my o2's are still connected, after I got your tune, no more codes. But should I unplug the rear o2's????
Old 05-08-2017, 09:04 PM   #14
hunter1660

Drives: 2011ss/rs camaro
The CANNED tune that comes with the sctx4 requires or did require the rear o2's be disconnected. New firmware updates may have solved that. Some headers don't come with bungs for the rears. I got a cel after turning my rear o2's off and a technician from Derive which is sct parent company told me I needed to disconnect them. I did and they still are. No more cel for several years now.