Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-29-2017, 04:08 PM   #57
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
According to the feedback provided from HC owners in these recent treads, the HC is unsafe, even in a straight line, with the stock tires. I even read that with its lack of down-force, beyond 150 mph it "is more than a tad scary". So even the straight line has limits.
I have one closed private owned road where I like to do some good pulls every now and then. The ZL1 feels planted the entire time approaching 130 MPH. So far that is the fastest I have gotten the ZL1 up to on that particular road. However the HC does not feel as planted once I get to over 90 MPH. And over 100 MPH it does start to feel scary. I have let off before going faster because it just didn't feel right. The road has a few bumps that the ZL1 takes as it is accelerating without so much as a hiccup. the HC feels like it gets unseated. So maybe it still needs time to finish breaking in (the suspension on the HC). I hope that is what it is. But I do honestly feel that the ZL1 can take higher speeds a lot more safely. Plus it can slow down from those speeds much quicker. None of this is a diss to my HC. Maybe the Charger HC is more solid at high speeds than the Challenger version. I don't know. But if it is still unstable at high speeds even after a few hundred more miles then I'll start looking to upgrade the suspension.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 12:38 AM   #58
TheShooter
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 Charger Hellcat
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
According to the feedback provided from HC owners in these recent treads, the HC is unsafe, even in a straight line, with the stock tires. I even read that with its lack of down-force, beyond 150 mph it "is more than a tad scary". So even the straight line has limits.

Utter nonsense.

I've had my Hellcat WELL into the triple digits on the stock rubber. I get nervous after 150, but that's due to speed, not stability.

Someone just posted more nonsense about the reliability of the Hellcat. It happens to be the MOST reliable car with that kind of HP on the market. I own one and my dealer is a friend, who also happens to be an SRT station. The Hellcat does not come in for heavy service very often. Mine has not needed a single bit of service at near 20K miles and I know a LOT of owners. Please refrain from parroting old stuff on the web. Some of us know the facts. This is pretty much like the rocket scientists who've heard that Jeeps aren't reliable! LOL.

The Hellcat Charger is a mid 700 HP car. It has four doors. It can be a great family car and fit a BIG TV in the back or a lot of groceries. It's the ULTIMATE daily driver full size sedan along side of the M5 and CTS-V.

Here's a simple example: We went for a sail last week with two friends..four of us. Drove the Hellcat out to the yacht club and had almost as much fun with the car as we did on the water. ZL1 can't do that. As a car it's ONLY a toy. It's versatility relates to the performance.

I'm buying the ZL1, but it'll be a toy. I've driven it. I absolutely love it, but it's not a "whole" rounded car. It's a rounded sports car. I know what I'm buying.

And as a REAL CAR, neither the Hellcat nor the ZL1 can hold a candle to my Mercedes SUV. Not even close.

When folks say something is "better" they should consider parameters and needs prior to making silly statements.
BTW...our Hellcat won a trophy this weekend in LA...Best Modern Muscle Car!

R
Attached Images

TheShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 01:23 AM   #59
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Every car will be something different to different people. For example, you say the ZL1 is "only a toy". I have to agree AND disagree with you on that. It is a toy to you because of what you specifically need in a car. From your posts it is quite obvious that interior and trunk space are important to you. So a ZL1 would have to be a "toy" for you because you cannot carry as many people in it as you can in your HC. For me and others, those of us who don't carry passengers or lots of items, it can be and is (in my case at least) a daily driver. So in that respect I would not call it a toy for me. It is my transportation along with my HC.

As far as the Mercedes SUV you have, again, your comments apply to yourself and are not in general. I personally would rather have my ZL1 because in my opinion no SUV except for the Trackhawk or maybe the X5M (or X6M) could satisfy me or come close to satisfying me.

Reliability...Chevy, Dodge, and Ford have all gotten bad reps for building unreliable cars at some point so I don't even know why people bring that up. For the record I know you didn't bring that up and you were just replying to a comment about it. Every Ford forum has someone saying that Chevys are unreliable and so on/so forth between each of the Big Three. In fact, every time I go to buy a car and mention it on Facebook I gotta listen to at least a handful of people telling me that the particular car I'm looking at is horrible and unreliable and yada yada. Then I buy it and have no issues at all, lol!!

So I think you should take it a bit easy my friend. it seems you get a bit offended or on the defense when people say something negative about the HC. Remember, this is a Camaro forum and some people are biased. I'm over on the HC forum and two HC pages and believe me, I have seen some biased remarks there. It doesn't bother me because I expect it. You gotta expect that some people are gonna say some harsh things here. Just don't let it get to you.
Old 08-30-2017, 08:12 AM   #60
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Look who is at the bottom.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 08-30-2017, 08:12 AM   #61
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShooter View Post
Utter nonsense.

I've had my Hellcat WELL into the triple digits on the stock rubber. I get nervous after 150, but that's due to speed, not stability.

Someone just posted more nonsense about the reliability of the Hellcat. It happens to be the MOST reliable car with that kind of HP on the market. I own one and my dealer is a friend, who also happens to be an SRT station. The Hellcat does not come in for heavy service very often. Mine has not needed a single bit of service at near 20K miles and I know a LOT of owners. Please refrain from parroting old stuff on the web. Some of us know the facts. This is pretty much like the rocket scientists who've heard that Jeeps aren't reliable! LOL.

The Hellcat Charger is a mid 700 HP car. It has four doors. It can be a great family car and fit a BIG TV in the back or a lot of groceries. It's the ULTIMATE daily driver full size sedan along side of the M5 and CTS-V.

Here's a simple example: We went for a sail last week with two friends..four of us. Drove the Hellcat out to the yacht club and had almost as much fun with the car as we did on the water. ZL1 can't do that. As a car it's ONLY a toy. It's versatility relates to the performance.

I'm buying the ZL1, but it'll be a toy. I've driven it. I absolutely love it, but it's not a "whole" rounded car. It's a rounded sports car. I know what I'm buying.

And as a REAL CAR, neither the Hellcat nor the ZL1 can hold a candle to my Mercedes SUV. Not even close.

When folks say something is "better" they should consider parameters and needs prior to making silly statements.

R
I didn't mean to call you out with the "tad scary" reference. My post was mostly a tongue in cheek reference to assertions that a ZL1 vs HC drag strip showdown can not be done on stock rubber because its unsafe.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 08:22 AM   #62
JB'sZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 and 2019 Ram Laramie
Quote:
Utter nonsense.

What is utter nonsense is comparing the Z to an SUV. This is not an off-roading forum.

I don't know why you take it all so personally. I don't know many HC haters here. Most will readily admit that the HC outperforms the Z...in a straight line. And for getting groceries.

For touring it is a little less rough than the Zl1 1LE. If I wanted a track car, or a drag car, I would buy one.
JB'sZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 09:40 AM   #63
S.T.A.R.

Drives: 18'-1LE
My god, Fiat/Dodge/Jeep/Ram almost occupy the entire basement...
S.T.A.R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 09:49 AM   #64
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.T.A.R. View Post
My god, Fiat/Dodge/Jeep/Ram almost occupy the entire basement...
Exactly, I would prefer a reliable car. I don't like getting stranded. Chevrolet is up in the top quarter.
Old 08-30-2017, 11:03 AM   #65
Evolvedx27

Drives: 2017 ZL1
HC is a heavy land yacht. Fat cat. Lol. Just kidding. Just figured I'd spice up the thread a little bit. Lol
Evolvedx27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 11:29 AM   #66
bobby35ny

Drives: 18 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Utter nonsense.

R
Only commenting on the 150 mph part..
My boy has a challenger HC, at 150 mph its holy shit, not very stable.
My ZL1 at 150 mph, I need a longer stretch of road, I want to go faster, easy peasy. When you get your ZL1 you will see what I'm taking about, high speed is a walk in the park.
-bobby
Old 08-30-2017, 12:00 PM   #67
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby35ny View Post
Only commenting on the 150 mph part..
My boy has a challenger HC, at 150 mph its holy shit, not very stable.
My ZL1 at 150 mph, I need a longer stretch of road, I want to go faster, easy peasy. When you get your ZL1 you will see what I'm taking about, high speed is a walk in the park.
-bobby
I sometimes wonder if it's just that the ZL1 makes the HC feel unstable at those speeds or if it really is unstable at those speeds. I used to take my SS and GT on the same stretch of road I mentioned before. I never got them up to the speeds I reached in the ZL1 on that road. I could get them both to around 100-110 before I started to run out of room. But the SS felt planted and gave me confidence at 100-110 while the GT started getting uneasy around 90. I'd stay in it in the GT but as it got faster it made me more and more uneasy to the point where I'd either abort the run or just say a prayer and keep at it. I have the same feeling in the HC as I did in the GT. I find I can go WOT on the ZL1 but on that same road I hesitate with the HC. So I'm not sure but I'm gonna keep going to the road to see if I can get it faster and faster. I'll have to put my big boy pants on to do it tho. Regardless I still do love the car. And I'm sure some suspension mods will go a long way to making it more planted.
Old 08-30-2017, 01:24 PM   #68
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Quote:
Utter nonsense.

R
Here are the 700+ HP cars, I don't think the HC is more reliable than all of them.

http://www.motortrend.com/news/the-700-horsepower-club/
Old 08-30-2017, 02:01 PM   #69
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven59 View Post
Here are the 700+ HP cars, I don't think the HC is more reliable than all of them.

http://www.motortrend.com/news/the-700-horsepower-club/
I gotta disagree. I bet as a DD and once you start racking up the miles the HC would be a lot more reliable than all of them. Say after about 15,000 miles or so...which would you rather have if the maintenance was gonna be all on you? A HC? Or one of these elite cars that were built to be driven once every 5 months?
Old 08-30-2017, 02:08 PM   #70
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Disagree based on what data?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk