Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Regional Sections > USA - Texas

Phastek Performance

Old 12-15-2017, 04:25 PM   #1
Roboto1le

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1le
Winter tires Dallas area?

Is anyone keeping stock tires for the winter in this area? I was thinking about throwing 305/35 on the rear of my stock rims on a 18 ss 1le. I've read the thread about moving the harness but I think their car was modified?

Also there seems to be winter tires available for the 285s and 305s on tirerack but they don't show them supported for the car? Been reviewing threads and cant find some help as it seems most people have modified suspensions or are getting different rims.

Roboto1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 10:26 PM   #2
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Please tell me you are joking.
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 01:04 AM   #3
RUQWIKR

Drives: 1LEs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboto1le View Post
Is anyone keeping stock tires for the winter in this area? I was thinking about throwing 305/35 on the rear of my stock rims on a 18 ss 1le. I've read the thread about moving the harness but I think their car was modified?

Also there seems to be winter tires available for the 285s and 305s on tirerack but they don't show them supported for the car? Been reviewing threads and cant find some help as it seems most people have modified suspensions or are getting different rims.

I run Michelin Super Sports (the PS4's are supposed to be even better) in stock sizes. Just realize below 40F or so, they don't play real nice. I have driven them in the mid-20F range on multiple cars with no cracking or delamination, however, they are SUMMER tires. If you want a true all season that performs well, a Michelin AS3 or Continental DWS06 is 285/30/20 is available if I remember, but, not in 305/30/20.

I have a 4x4 pickup if true winter comes around or I don't feel like driving my other stuff in the cold, like tonight.
RUQWIKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 06:47 AM   #4
pbsinternet1le

Drives: 2017 1le current /2015 2ss 1le sold
35 series scrubbed the fender liner for me. No damage but annoying. Yes i moved the harness.
Old 12-16-2017, 07:53 AM   #5
bybcous

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Please tell me you are joking.
Its a 45k car, it will be used as a daily driver by some, and those people want to be safe with tires in meantime. Chill out.
Best so far 11.5 at 123 with a 1.83 60ft. BMR lower and upper trailing arms and upper control arms,E85
DELIVERED 12/29/15
http://youtube.com/bybcous " no talking only racing on my youtube"
bybcous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 08:34 AM   #6
Roboto1le

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1le
Thanks for the real responses. This will be my DD, I'm new to the area (from south Florida) and my first brand new sports car so I don't have much experience with weather and having to deal with changing tires or even seasons at all. The weather report says possible snow next week!
Roboto1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 09:02 AM   #7
quikag

Drives: 2SS '16 Camaro
I have the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires and they rock year round here in DFW. Great tire.

Also:
2010 ZR1
2018 GT3
2013 LX570
quikag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 09:48 AM   #8
1970judge

Drives: 2015 Z/28, 2007 HHR
I livedin DFW for 6 years, my parents still live there. Never swapped tires on my old cars. DFW will see really cold/snow-ish weather once a year or so, but its never very bad. I went to a job interview in an IROC on drag radials in the snow one year, good times. Respect that the tires will be hard as a rock, minimal traction, and that it will be tough to get up a hill..then you should be fine.
1970judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 10:24 AM   #9
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by bybcous View Post
Its a 45k car, it will be used as a daily driver by some, and those people want to be safe with tires in meantime. Chill out.
I travel to Dallas for work every 3 months. I've experienced every kind of weather that it has to offer.

When it snows and there's ice-storms, it shuts down the entire city, there's no snow-removal, it's ultra-rare, but people aren't driving around anyways, chill out for a few hours or days and it's no problem. In a rear wheel drive sports car without a lot of weight on the axle, you are at huge disadvantage to start with (even with winter tires). If you really want to optimize your car for these rare conditions, you should consider a square setup with the same size rims all around, so you can rotate the tires. That of course is a lot of money and specialization, but going "halfway" with big 20 or 19 285 or bigger winter tires is absolutely insane given how rare those conditions are. You'll be handicapping yourself most of the time. Even if the air temp is cooler in the morning, the roads absorb a lot of energy quickly and heat up quickly, easily exceeding the air temperature. If you store the car outside and then decide to go full-tilt while it's still dark outside, well that may be a problem, but most people do not drive like that and again, you'd be investing a ton of money to get a little performance where you'd trade off a large amount of performance for a majority of the time. Tires heat up as you drive too (watch your air pressure, it increases).

The idea that you "can't drive" when it's cool with summer performance tires is largely BS. What you can't do is drive super-aggressively when it's very cold,like around freezing and you should avoid driving when it's less than 20 degrees and all the other conditions are met (like 20 degrees in the darkness after the car has cold-soaked), then there might be the potential for cracking the tires, but if your car comes from inside a garage, and you drive on roads, get on the highway, get up to speed, this would be so improbable as to simply not make any sense to use winter tires for. Your tires will warm up and if it's truly all iced over with a thick coating of snow and ice (as I've experienced in Texas more than once), ain't nothing happening for a few days anyway as they let it melt off.

Winter tires make a huge difference for many people, there are a few idiots up here that don't use them, but they make conditions so much safer and actually give you grip on ice and black ice (frost deposited on the road). You don't experience those conditions in Texas with any frequency where it would be worth it to go with a winter setup. Yes, I know it snowed in San Antonio a few days ago, my parents showed me pictures (it was raining up here and 45 degrees at the same time in Alaska), but it melted in a few hours and temps shot back up to normal temps, and then the sun came out, etc.
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 10:54 AM   #10
1970judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
but it melted in a few hours and temps shot back up to normal temps, and then the sun came out, etc.
Thats the true advantage of poor winter weather in TX. Lived in TX all my life, up until 3 years ago. Sure, maybe it snows a little or ices over. But, it will be 40-50 degrees later that day, so its not super concerning.
Old 12-16-2017, 11:07 AM   #11
ndnashlenz

Drives: 2019 1SS Crush, 2017 Corolla White
Honestly my family and my buddies never had any need to get winter tires and we have been in the DFW area our entire lives. Majority of the days in the winter its low 30's in the morning but hits 50-60s by the afternoon, has been like that the past few days/weeks as well. But when like a few others have said you wont get as much traction, drive carefully and slowly especially on I-30 and 635 (too many idiots) and you will be fine. I commuted to all different hospitals for clinicals and drove to UTA for 2 years in all kinds of weather and I was fine.
Old 12-16-2017, 03:48 PM   #12
CPM

Drives: Black 2018 SS 1LE
So nobody’s experienced the stock tires cracking? I’ve been very careful not to drive mine under 40 degrees because of the warning on them. Much less concerned about how they’ll handle coming from a pickup with a very light back end.
CPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 03:51 PM   #13
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboto1le View Post

Moved to the Texas Regional sub-forum

-DG
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 06:28 PM   #14
1970judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPM View Post
So nobody’s experienced the stock tires cracking? I’ve been very careful not to drive mine under 40 degrees because of the warning on them. Much less concerned about how they’ll handle coming from a pickup with a very light back end.
That IS a possibility, I have Pzeros currently in Michigan weather, and did not crack them...yet. OP should BE AWARE THAT IT IS POSSIBLE, though not likely with as little cold weather he will get.