Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-18-2019, 05:09 PM   #211
JD2018_ZL1

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Camaro
I got mine installed and working perfectly. I made the harness and it made the install easy. I grabbed all connections at the A11 20 pin grey connector and the HMI black 18 pin connector. I had USB cables with the mole connectors but the screen input has to be the 2 wire LVDS molex for it to display. The touch is all handled through the LIN Bus.

I did not replace the window or do anything overly complicated for the camera mount. I used 3m double sided tape to adhere to the windshield and that woks fine, the mount and camera weigh nothing. I ordered some vivid black film and cut it to the shape of the camera assembly and cut out for the notch and get a perfect picture with no interference from the dot matrix and the film covers the plastic side that mouth to the windshield. If I ever have to replace the window ill go the the PDR style but no need for now.

I used two standard data USB cables for the Camera and the SD card reader. LVDS Mini B for the touch screen. I used a camera from the corvette because it has a female usb versus a male making it easier to find the molex style cables that work with it. Male to male is easier to find than male to female.

Its a easy add on and not really that expensive. I may look at creating the harness if there are people that want it. I bought 100 Molex LVDS cables by accident. so those will work for the screen. You do have to get a screen with the second usb input but if you had someone that can do surface mount Im sure they could add it to yours or maybe Louis Rossmann on youtube could do it for you. The two USB screens are difficult to find. I found one cheap with the screen damaged. I just swapped the board from the damaged screen to mine and it worked fine.

Thanks again to those that helped get this off the ground and did the research and shared it. I wanted this really bad but couldn't really force it since I was buying an 18 manual no sunroof car NFGM. Didn't have much choice.
JD2018_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 02:48 PM   #212
nighttowl
Sarcasm loading --------

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Good to hear

Enjoy!

2018 MBM ZL1 1LE - Stock
2014 CRT ZL1 574 rwhp, 537 rwtq - SOLD
2010 IBM SS Camaro VVT L99 w/ TR6060 swap, 489 rwhp, 444 rwtq - SOLD
nighttowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 05:18 PM   #213
tecmec

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD2018_ZL1 View Post
I got mine installed and working perfectly. I made the harness and it made the install easy. I grabbed all connections at the A11 20 pin grey connector and the HMI black 18 pin connector. I had USB cables with the mole connectors but the screen input has to be the 2 wire LVDS molex for it to display. The touch is all handled through the LIN Bus.

I did not replace the window or do anything overly complicated for the camera mount. I used 3m double sided tape to adhere to the windshield and that woks fine, the mount and camera weigh nothing. I ordered some vivid black film and cut it to the shape of the camera assembly and cut out for the notch and get a perfect picture with no interference from the dot matrix and the film covers the plastic side that mouth to the windshield. If I ever have to replace the window ill go the the PDR style but no need for now.

I used two standard data USB cables for the Camera and the SD card reader. LVDS Mini B for the touch screen. I used a camera from the corvette because it has a female usb versus a male making it easier to find the molex style cables that work with it. Male to male is easier to find than male to female.

Its a easy add on and not really that expensive. I may look at creating the harness if there are people that want it. I bought 100 Molex LVDS cables by accident. so those will work for the screen. You do have to get a screen with the second usb input but if you had someone that can do surface mount Im sure they could add it to yours or maybe Louis Rossmann on youtube could do it for you. The two USB screens are difficult to find. I found one cheap with the screen damaged. I just swapped the board from the damaged screen to mine and it worked fine.

Thanks again to those that helped get this off the ground and did the research and shared it. I wanted this really bad but couldn't really force it since I was buying an 18 manual no sunroof car NFGM. Didn't have much choice.
What was your total cost?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
tecmec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 08:47 PM   #214
JD2018_ZL1

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecmec View Post
What was your total cost?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
$250 for the ZL1 firmware PDR
$250 order from Tasca the included all the parts minus the camera and PDR and connectors
$25 order from mouser
$40 for the harnesses I needed to make my harness to tee into the HMI and Radio
$199 for the dual USB screen
$125 for the camera I Used a Z06 camera because it has a Female usb and that makes it easier to find USB cables
The LVDS cable I used was $33 but it came with 100 cables. I couldn't believe that.

The molex style factory USB cables I had on hand

Programming I did myself for free. The mention of global A security only applies to specific modules NOT HMI and Radio modules. BCM, Cluster, and a few others. So you can easily program the HMI and the Radio to PDR without issue and maintain full functionality for apps and updates. AS LONG AS the HMI and Radio unit was in your car to begin with.

The PDR units are out there on ebay cheap if you look. Mine was listed as a rear end control module. I knew what it was they didn't. You can use them from any of the cars like the corvette and such but try and get one from a 17 or up if possible so you get the latest possible software. They added a few fixes and track timer I believe and they eliminated valet mode audio recording.
JD2018_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 11:49 PM   #215
tecmec

Drives: 2016 2SS
Cool. That's not so bad.

I'm curious, how do you program the modules? I have an MDI2, but if I subscribe on TDS, I'm just subscribing for my VIN. How do you get the image you need for PDR?
tecmec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 11:47 AM   #216
metal

Drives: 2011 2SS Convertible
Just a FYI, these instructions more or less work on C7's. JD2018_ZL1 helped me install a PDR in my 19 Z06.
metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 01:18 PM   #217
Addoni

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary 2SS Camaro
PDR on my 2017 50yh Anniversary Edition 2SS Camaro

Question for anyone who might know the answer.

My 2017 50th is fully loaded (HUD, Competition Mode, G-Force, Friction Bubble, Exhaust Sound Management, Track Timers, Magnetic Ride, Etc.). I was looking through my manual and apparently some of the 50th's have a PDR.
Has anyone installed one on a 50th 2SS? And if so is items like the wiring harness, infotainment center, already pdr ready ( basically like plug and play?) Or will I need to get a new WH and Radio? The DIC already has a lot for the track. Just a curious question. I ordered a new 2020 mid engine vette that has everything, but the pandemic is making me reconsider that and keep my 50th (dealership manager is friend. Holding my spot with down payment until I'm ready). My 50th has only 10k miles. Use it mainly for shows but did race it once on Daytona with my car club. That was fun. Anyway obviously keeping it would save me 90k and in these times, thats where I'm leaning, so a pdr would be a nice addition and somethingfor me to keep occupiedfor a while. No I am not rich. I am a Retired Disabled Veteran who happens to be a mechanic and loves Camaros, Old Trans am's, old old Goats and the best yet: McLaren's (my dream car). Its boring being Retired!!!
Sorry for babbling on. I f anyone knows the answer, please reply.
Addoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 09:21 AM   #218
Kaizer_911

Drives: 2017 2SS 50th Anniversary Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addoni View Post
Question for anyone who might know the answer.

My 2017 50th is fully loaded (HUD, Competition Mode, G-Force, Friction Bubble, Exhaust Sound Management, Track Timers, Magnetic Ride, Etc.). I was looking through my manual and apparently some of the 50th's have a PDR.
Has anyone installed one on a 50th 2SS? And if so is items like the wiring harness, infotainment center, already pdr ready ( basically like plug and play?) Or will I need to get a new WH and Radio? The DIC already has a lot for the track. Just a curious question. I ordered a new 2020 mid engine vette that has everything, but the pandemic is making me reconsider that and keep my 50th (dealership manager is friend. Holding my spot with down payment until I'm ready). My 50th has only 10k miles. Use it mainly for shows but did race it once on Daytona with my car club. That was fun. Anyway obviously keeping it would save me 90k and in these times, thats where I'm leaning, so a pdr would be a nice addition and somethingfor me to keep occupiedfor a while. No I am not rich. I am a Retired Disabled Veteran who happens to be a mechanic and loves Camaros, Old Trans am's, old old Goats and the best yet: McLaren's (my dream car). Its boring being Retired!!!
Sorry for babbling on. I f anyone knows the answer, please reply.

It was on 2017 ZL1 and 1LE. The 2SS didn’t have it. As it is, unfortunately, your car is not plug and play. You would need lots of new parts to make it work.

Sent from my iPhone XS Max using Tapatalk
3100 - 05/25/16 | 3300 - 05/28/16
3400 - 05/31/16 | 3800 - 06/14/16, #125 Built!
4200 - 06/29/16 | 5000 - 06/29/16
6000 - 07/08/16 | Club F1FTY
Kaizer_911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 03:47 AM   #219
Ozracer

Drives: Camaro ZL1
Hi all recently joined member from Australia having recently acquired a 2019 ZL1 MY20 Model A10. Just wondering if this is doable for cars that went to Australia and whether or not anyone knows whether the programming of the infotainment systems is geographically locked or different to those in the USA. My car came obviously with the collision avoidance camera behind the rear view mirror, head up display but PDR was not activated from what I can tell on any cars brought into the country. From the videos I have seen on you tube though the infotainment systems seem identical other than we only have am/fm bands and no xm radio option like you guys do or on star etc.

Any help including how to tell if our systems are io5 as none of the cars imported into the country came with navigation either which I don't really miss as I use apple car play for maps.
Ozracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 12:28 PM   #220
SOFO

Drives: Camaro Fifty
The big question is, if it is possible to reprogramme the australian HMI.

I'm driving an european model. For me it is also not clear If it is possible for european cars.
SOFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 01:43 PM   #221
GTPprix
I hack cars.

Drives: Lots ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOFO View Post
The big question is, if it is possible to reprogramme the australian HMI.

I'm driving an european model. For me it is also not clear If it is possible for european cars.
We've built some calibrations for cars in that market so I'd assume thats what people are doing with them as they asked for the PDR to be enabled.
Old 09-03-2020, 01:39 PM   #222
Vigilante375

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Just finding this thread and seeing if anyone could answer this question. Though I've found some answer's but wanted to see what could be told to me on here.

I do have PDR in my ZL1. What would it take to upgrade the camera? I've read where the hardware or software wouldn't make this feasible. Is that true? Has anyone in the thread used a higher quality camera and it actually is 1080p or higher?

I've planned to do this but never went through with it. That is, take a 1080p camera and install it to see what happens.
Vigilante375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 11:52 AM   #223
Bangkok_ZL1
ZL1 Believer

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozracer View Post
Hi all recently joined member from Australia having recently acquired a 2019 ZL1 MY20 Model A10. Just wondering if this is doable for cars that went to Australia and whether or not anyone knows whether the programming of the infotainment systems is geographically locked or different to those in the USA. My car came obviously with the collision avoidance camera behind the rear view mirror, head up display but PDR was not activated from what I can tell on any cars brought into the country. From the videos I have seen on you tube though the infotainment systems seem identical other than we only have am/fm bands and no xm radio option like you guys do or on star etc.

Any help including how to tell if our systems are io5 as none of the cars imported into the country came with navigation either which I don't really miss as I use apple car play for maps.
Yeah, I have an Aussie ride, and have the same questions you do. I'm sure it can be done, but at what amount of time and cost. After reading what these guys went through for a standard hook up and me not being a wiring guy, I'll have to somehow go aftermarket.

Last edited by Bangkok_ZL1; 02-23-2021 at 12:17 PM.
Bangkok_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 08:53 PM   #224
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
Anyone have the pdr cover bezel part number. I had a window replaced under warranty they forgot to put cover back on and now it's lost.

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote