Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic modifications (exterior and interior)

AWE Tuning

Old 08-03-2020, 03:51 PM   #1
FirebirdFanatic

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS
My experience swapping 1SS cloth for 2SS leather

Hello, thought I would share my experiences swapping seats.

My 1SS came with the standard black cloth seats with the grey stripes. I think they were comfortable but didn't look very good. I have swapped seats in my 78 Trans Am, 87 Formula Firebird, and 06 BMW 3 series without any trouble.

I wanted to do a red theme for my 16 1SS in Nightfall Grey - I replaced the hard plastic knee pads with the Adrenaline Red padded ones, and I found a full set of leather seats with Adrenaline Red inserts on ebay. The donor car had been in an accident. The front drivers seat had side airbag deployment - the passenger seat did not.

I swapped in the back seats without using tools. The passenger seat was plug and play - two bolts, unplug the connector, drop in the seat and hook it up. Everything worked after the swap.

Due to the airbag being deployed on the driver's seat, I did not replace it for a while - probably about 6 months. I found a great auto trim guy in town and finally took the seat to him to get it sorted. We decided to just take the airbag out of my cloth seat and put it in the replacement. Then he sewed everything up and it looks great. He also re-sewed the cloth seat in case I want to use it in another project. Total cost was $150.

I dropped the seat in and none of the seat controls worked. I was surprised since the passenger seat worked great. The wiring on the bottom of the 2SS seat had more motors and a "black box" that the 1SS did not (see attached pictures). I do not know if the donor car's accident triggered something in the seat to disable it, or if my 1SS could not properly talk to the 2SS seat.

To work around it, I stripped the wiring harness off of the 1SS seat and moved it to the 2SS seat. There was one extra motor to control the front area of the seat that I had to leave off, and obviously the seat heater and ventilation fan had to remain disconnected. There were a series of wires heading into the back rest area - about half the wires in that bundle matched color and stripes of the 1SS seat wiring harness. I assume some of these are for the airbag. With the seat disconnected, I cut the wires and spliced them into the 1SS harness.

This took about 45 minutes and when I put the seat back in everything works. No airbag light (or any other lights).

Hope this helps someone. Cheers.
Attached Images

FirebirdFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 04:11 PM   #2
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
Nice work - especially conquering the wiring issues! Looks great!

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 07:51 AM   #3
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Looks good.

As an FYI... The pads on the doors aren't from the Adrenaline Red interior package, at least not how it's sold now. Adrenaline Red has all of the various pads interior color-matched. The Redline Edition has red knee pads on the console and the doors.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 10:38 PM   #4
Drew145022

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS Vert
How much it cost you to swap it all?
Drew145022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 08:49 AM   #5
GrayGhost1LE

Drives: 2021 ZL1
This Hopefully will help. I am currently doing this on my '19 1ss 1le, in adrenaline red. I have swapped the door panels, console, knee bolsters and all the seats, except drivers because of the problems. I even had learned recently that you could cross pin 24 with pin 1, in the wiring harness connector to be able to allow the seat to move. What I didn't know was my drivers side window would go down and wouldn't go back up, also the driver side door lock would lock both doors then unlock the driver's side! Obviously making a short... I need to find a 1ss harness and swap it out. Thanks for the information!
GrayGhost1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 09:12 AM   #6
supersportss

Drives: 2019 SS
Good job man, awesome when we can do stuff for on our own, looks good.
supersportss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 07:50 PM   #7
GrayGhost1LE

Drives: 2021 ZL1
Just an update. I swapped the 2ss wiring harness out with a basic electric 1ss wiring harness and nothing happened immediately. I closed all doors and trunk, making sure the negative cable wa connected to the battery, and locked the door with the key lock button. This should allow the car to reset itself, after 10 to 15 minutes I unlocked the car, got in and closed the door then started it up. The driverside window went up and down, as did passenger, both door locks worked and most importantly the seat operated as it should, by moving forward and back along with reclining.
GrayGhost1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 10:23 PM   #8
Staves

Drives: women crazy
That’s a lot of work for a sweaty back. Jk nice job.
Old 12-21-2020, 06:13 AM   #9
VT-1LE

Drives: 2020 2SS 1LE Satin Steel Metallic
I wonder if 5thgendiy has a controller that will allow you to use the heat and air on the seats. I know they make a kit to control the recaro seats for swaps. Not sure if it will work on 2SS leather seats.
VT-1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 07:08 AM   #10
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
What year model is your RAM?

Nice job on the seats.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 12:34 AM   #11
redhot_camaro0228

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1LT V6
Can you indicate where you cut? I'm needing to do this with my seats as i swapped them as well but have no idea where to cut and splice. Thanks
redhot_camaro0228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 09:46 PM   #12
Cuhmaro

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Help

I’m doing this install and I’m confused. Can I just change my 1ss complete harness and plug it into my 2ss seat? Thanks.
Cuhmaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 12:39 PM   #13
Cuhmaro

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayGhost1LE View Post
Just an update. I swapped the 2ss wiring harness out with a basic electric 1ss wiring harness and nothing happened immediately. I closed all doors and trunk, making sure the negative cable wa connected to the battery, and locked the door with the key lock button. This should allow the car to reset itself, after 10 to 15 minutes I unlocked the car, got in and closed the door then started it up. The driverside window went up and down, as did passenger, both door locks worked and most importantly the seat operated as it should, by moving forward and back along with reclining.
Did you just swap the 1ss harness to the 2ss seat? Or did you have to cut any wires and reconnect them to make it work like the guy said? Thanks.
Cuhmaro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
seat replacement