#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Z/28 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 03-22-2016, 01:01 PM   #29
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by aa406079 View Post
I've decided to wait till chevy's 2018's to see what bears fruit.

Excited to see if the Z28 will bring out a new version of the LT N/A engine, and how much more weight they can shed from the car.

If will be curious to see the the new C7 Grand Sports will see this engine as well...That would make more fiscal sense for GM to invest in a new engine if it has more than one platform for its implementation...
I doubt the GS would get a new engine. If it was going to share an engine with a Z/28, it would have had it at the reveal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BahamaTodd View Post
This also does not look to have the vented hood like the ZL1 or CTS-V.
I looks like it has a similar camo patch over the hood vent the early ZL1 prototypes did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Oak View Post
Yeah, that's called a Z28.
GM said the ZL1 doesn't need a track pack. Even if they were going to build a ZL1 package, why would they call it Z28? ZL1/Z28 would be odd. The Z/28 isn't like the Z07 or 1LE package.
Old 03-22-2016, 01:02 PM   #30
ilirg

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2ss
Good lord, GM is on a blitzkrieg. There is no way this is not a Z28, those wheels should be an obvious give away
ilirg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 01:03 PM   #31
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
What exactly would it include? The ZL1 already has brakes, aero, wheels and tires, MRC, Recaros and NPP that the 1LE upgraded on the SS.
No idea, hence why I said my opinion...could be a large wing, race tires, no back seat, no radio, carbon fiber body parts, etc, etc...
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 01:05 PM   #32
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Quote:
Yeah, that's called a Z28.
Yeah, no. The last gen ZL1 and Z28 were two totally different cars. One, a hard core GT car, the other a track rat. I hope they don't change that formula.
Old 03-22-2016, 01:08 PM   #33
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 1LE View Post
No idea, hence why I said my opinion...could be a large wing, race tires, no back seat, no radio, carbon fiber body parts, etc, etc...
Maybe I'm being too hopeful this is an n/a Z/28, but I really think it is. Based on the previous ZL1 and Z/28, it's what makes the most sense, in my opinion.
Old 03-22-2016, 01:08 PM   #34
Iron Oak
Club Motorsports Track Op

Drives: STI, Land Rover and future 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 1LE View Post
Yeah, no. The last gen ZL1 and Z28 were two totally different cars. One, a hard core GT car, the other a track rat. I hope they don't change that formula.
Oh come on, that was just a good natured rib jab. I would not be surprised to see a stand alone engine for the new Z28. Especially since the GT350 did that with their Voodoo 5.2L flat plane crank V8. I do expect it to be NA though. Especially for racing series and homogenization considerations.
Iron Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 01:11 PM   #35
IOMCamaroSS
#PrimeCamaros

Drives: IOM '10 Camaro SS
Any proof that this will use the same formula as the last gen Z? A "stripped down" track machine.. I mean, aren't there still a bunch of 2015's sitting on dealer lots?
Old 03-22-2016, 01:13 PM   #36
HumanWiki

Drives: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by IOMCamaroSS View Post
Any proof that this will use the same formula as the last gen Z? A "stripped down" track machine.. I mean, aren't there still a bunch of 2015's sitting on dealer lots?
Back in my home town, they weren't even treated with much regard.. They were just sitting outside, in with other basic cars and had 15K+ off MSRP stickers on them.

It's possible GM learned from Gen5 Z/28 and it was over specialized or too-stripped and won't do the same with Gen6 -- if this is indeed a Z/28 and not as suggested about a "track pack" or similar option for a ZL1.
HumanWiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 01:16 PM   #37
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
Quote:
Yes there are, even discounted.

Example:

http://www.airportchevy.com/new/Chev...81eefc9c14.htm

They had this car originally marked up to $88,000 at one point and refused to come off of it, even when someone came in and offered $65,000 in cash money on the spot for it.

Now they're sitting on it and can't get rid of it.
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 01:18 PM   #38
BahamaTodd

Drives: 08 Accord V6/M6 / 04 Canyon Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
I looks like it has a similar camo patch over the hood vent the early ZL1 prototypes did.
Yes the patch is there, but I don't see the hump towards the rear of the hood.

This also looks to have the base LT halogen projectors without the LED DRLs. Goes along with the stripped down theme.
BahamaTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 01:22 PM   #39
Iron Oak
Club Motorsports Track Op

Drives: STI, Land Rover and future 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanWiki View Post
Back in my home town, they weren't even treated with much regard.. They were just sitting outside, in with other basic cars and had 15K+ off MSRP stickers on them.

It's possible GM learned from Gen5 Z/28 and it was over specialized or too-stripped and won't do the same with Gen6 -- if this is indeed a Z/28 and not as suggested about a "track pack" or similar option for a ZL1.
If they had made the carbon ceramic brakes optional, that would of made a huge difference in cost. That and the fact that the suspension tolerances were very high and on a limited run (comparatively). Those were two big money factors. Not to mention the LS7. But that is the heart behind the Z/28. The engine and the handling is what defined that car.

I think GM has learned a lot from the 5th gen. Another thing to consider is how much the bar was raised with the Z/28 at the time. There wasn't anything like it for the money. Now we have the GT350 and the R version. The ACR Viper, New 911 R etc. BMW M2 to an extent.
Iron Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 01:22 PM   #40
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Quote:
Oh come on, that was just a good natured rib jab. I would not be surprised to see a stand alone engine for the new Z28. Especially since the GT350 did that with their Voodoo 5.2L flat plane crank V8. I do expect it to be NA though. Especially for racing series and homogenization considerations.
Well, I'm sure we will know in a few months...either way, if I spend $75K~ on a Camaro my wife will cut off my pickle.
Old 03-22-2016, 01:23 PM   #41
IOMCamaroSS
#PrimeCamaros

Drives: IOM '10 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanWiki View Post
Yeah, I mean they have the 1LE slotted between the SS and the ZL1 already. One would assume a Z/28 would be above the ZL1 again.. which would mean $70k+. I'd hope this time around that this Z/28 wouldn't be AS stripped down..

Making it a "track pack" for the ZL1 would sound better to me.
Old 03-22-2016, 01:24 PM   #42
Thor142

Drives: 2014 2LS (traded in) 2015 1SS 1LE
Quote:
I think the gen 5 had issues selling cause no one knew what it was other than a 75k Camaro. I don't think they'll have this problem with the next Z.
Thor142 is offline   Reply With Quote