Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-22-2022, 08:56 AM   #15
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlukeSS View Post
Says the guy who lives in Georgia,

I want to see you drive your 1LE in 17 inches of snow and say its fine. You've seen your share of plowed roads. Now try one that isn't plowed.

And it won't matter what tires you have.
I commuted to work - Parker to Denver for years in a twin turbo RX7 with Blizzacks. Not fun, but doable. 17 inches presents a clearance problem, but that’s true for all vehicles to varying degrees. I once pulled my WRX out of the garage into snow so deep all four tires came off the ground. All wheel drive doesn’t help in that situation.
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 08:59 AM   #16
FlukeSS

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyzz Kydd View Post
I commuted to work - Parker to Denver for years in a twin turbo RX7 with Blizzacks. Not fun, but doable. 17 inches presents a clearance problem, but that’s true for all vehicles to varying degrees. I once pulled my WRX out of the garage into snow so deep all four tires came off the ground. All wheel drive doesn’t help in that situation.
Fair enough.

Just saying though, not everything is picture perfect like the other person suggesting 1.5" dusting and calling it snow.
2020 Camaro 2SS A10 | Rebuilt by: CBI Street Cars | 2" SE LT Headers | 3" SE X-Pipe | 3" MBRP Axle-Back | Pri & Sec Cat Deletes | K&N Typhoon CAI | LT2 Ported | 95mm ZR1 TB | DOD Delete | BTR Stage I Cam | ECM, TCM & E85 |Tuned by: Shane Hinds | Dyno: 510 rwhp 472 rwtq
FlukeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 09:04 AM   #17
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlukeSS View Post
Fair enough.

Just saying though, not everything is picture perfect like the other person suggesting 1.5" dusting and calling it snow.
No doubt! If I had to live in the great white north again I would definitely get a 4 wheel drive vehicle with plenty of range and clearance.
Old 12-22-2022, 09:09 AM   #18
FlukeSS

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS A10
Quote:
No doubt! If I had to live in the great white north again I would definitely get a 4 wheel drive vehicle with plenty of range and clearance.
I wish I could afford one, atm I cannot. Not even a POS 4 banger AWD.

Damn bills
2020 Camaro 2SS A10 | Rebuilt by: CBI Street Cars | 2" SE LT Headers | 3" SE X-Pipe | 3" MBRP Axle-Back | Pri & Sec Cat Deletes | K&N Typhoon CAI | LT2 Ported | 95mm ZR1 TB | DOD Delete | BTR Stage I Cam | ECM, TCM & E85 |Tuned by: Shane Hinds | Dyno: 510 rwhp 472 rwtq
FlukeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 09:18 AM   #19
JimGnitecki

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro LT1
Quote:
One thing to note when reading that article, it says freezing temperatures, which likely means 32ish. The article I read, which I’ll try to find and link, was talking about 20 degrees and 41% loss. Imagine what the loss is at zero. Probably close to 2/3. You’re basically screwed.
As a former EV vehicle owner, I can attest that your posting is melodramatic BS. My wife drove an EV, in Canada, all winter, on a job that required a 135 km = 84 mile driving route every shift. No issues.

And, it saved us a TON of money versus the prior vehicle, which was identical except for having a Turbo 4 gas engine. The gasoline version cost us $425 per month for fuel, whereas the EV cost us $75.

And the EV did not require the regular oil changes the gas one did. And the EV in fact required ZERO maintenance for the 65,000 km = 40,000 miles we owned it.

The EV manufacturers are VERY conservative in their "range" estimates, for legal liability reasons. Ours (Kia Soul EV Premium model) was rated as having about a 375 km range. The actual range in summer was almost exactly 500 km. It worked great for the 135km shift drive every day, with us simply plugging it into our home charger overnight.

In the winter, yes, the range fell, but not dramatically enough to create any issues. One reason for the range drop, beyond battery temperature, was that on an EV the passenger heating system uses energy (heat pump), versus a gasoline vehicle that uses the waste engine heat.

I do agree that EVs are not really yet ready for universal use. We still need 2 things to make that practical:

1. A nationwide EV charging infrastructure that is as good as the current nationwide gasoline station infrasructure. That will come soon as entrepreneurs figure out thta they can sell EV charging electricity at double the home ernergy price and have EV drivers STILL make out like bandits in their electricity versus gasoline costs (remember my $75 EV versus $425 gas costs earlier in this posting).

2. MUCH shorter recharge times. That requires better electronics and batteries within the vehicles themselves. THEY are the limiting factors. Those WILL come, and soon.

You can fight city hall all you like, just like the horse stables fought automobiles in the early 20th century (too noisy, too unreliable, too dangerous, etc). But you'll just end up looking silly, and will ultimately need to swallow your macho but melodramatic talk and drive an EV cause that's all there'll be to buy and drive.

Jim G
JimGnitecki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 09:19 AM   #20
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

At least you have the Camaro!!
Old 12-22-2022, 09:24 AM   #21
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Hilarious post that I’m sure has a major tongue in cheek.

Obviously not the first cold weather for EVs.

But on the odd chance you were actually serious, the number will be far fewer than people that failed to get gas before the storm hit.
Old 12-22-2022, 09:25 AM   #22
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGnitecki View Post
As a former EV vehicle owner, I can attest that your posting is melodramatic BS. My wife drove an EV, in Canada, all winter, on a job that required a 135 km = 84 mile driving route every shift. No issues.

And, it saved us a TON of money versus the prior vehicle, which was identical except for having a Turbo 4 gas engine. The gasoline version cost us $425 per month for fuel, whereas the EV cost us $75.

And the EV did not require the regular oil changes the gas one did. And the EV in fact required ZERO maintenance for the 65,000 km = 40,000 miles we owned it.

The EV manufacturers are VERY conservative in their "range" estimates, for legal liability reasons. Ours (Kia Soul EV Premium model) was rated as having about a 375 km range. The actual range in summer was almost exactly 500 km. It worked great for the 135km shift drive every day, with us simply plugging it into our home charger overnight.

In the winter, yes, the range fell, but not dramatically enough to create any issues. One reason for the range drop, beyond battery temperature, was that on an EV the passenger heating system uses energy (heat pump), versus a gasoline vehicle that uses the waste engine heat.

I do agree that EVs are not really yet ready for universal use. We still need 2 things to make that practical:

1. A nationwide EV charging infrastructure that is as good as the current nationwide gasoline station infrasructure. That will come soon as entrepreneurs figure out thta they can sell EV charging electricity at double the home ernergy price and have EV drivers STILL make out like bandits in their electricity versus gasoline costs (remember my $75 EV versus $425 gas costs earlier in this posting).

2. MUCH shorter recharge times. That requires better electronics and batteries within the vehicles themselves. THEY are the limiting factors. Those WILL come, and soon.

You can fight city hall all you like, just like the horse stables fought automobiles in the early 20th century (too noisy, too unreliable, too dangerous, etc). But you'll just end up looking silly, and will ultimately need to swallow your macho but melodramatic talk and drive an EV cause that's all there'll be to buy and drive.

Jim G
You’re certainly entitled to your opinion. It’s a shame you can’t share that without getting personal, but hey you do you.

I doubt I’ll still be around by the time we end up exclusively EV, but if I am I’ll almost certainly be too old to be driving.

We’ll see. My prediction is that we eventually end up with hybrids being the dominant means of propulsion. They make the most sense environmentally and from a practical perspective.
Old 12-22-2022, 09:27 AM   #23
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

But this is about the coming weather event and people potentially being stranded this weekend. Those driving their EVs cross country to grandma’s house.
Old 12-22-2022, 09:37 AM   #24
ChevyRules

Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Quote:
You’re certainly entitled to your opinion. It’s a shame you can’t share that without getting personal, but hey you do you.

I doubt I’ll still be around by the time we end up exclusively EV, but if I am I’ll almost certainly be too old to be driving.

We’ll see. My prediction is that we eventually end up with hybrids being the dominant means of propulsion. They make the most sense environmentally and from a practical perspective.
You made it personal because you have a personal vendetta. You don’t care about the people actually getting stranded. You just have an anti-EV view and relish in any kind of event that reaffirms your views on EV’s.
ChevyRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 09:51 AM   #25
LT1gen6

Drives: '22 LT1 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive View Post
This is literally me !

Your driving skills are impressive going downhill in a freshly plowed drive amidst < 1" of surrounding snow. Please update the photo with you driving in 2 feet of snow (with front splitter and 3" of ground clearance) plowing the roads ahead of the snow plows, as you rescue those poor, stranded EV drivers : )

Last edited by LT1gen6; 12-22-2022 at 10:21 AM.
LT1gen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 09:56 AM   #26
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
But this is about the coming weather event and people potentially being stranded this weekend. Those driving their EVs cross country to grandma’s house.
Why would an EV be any different than ICE? If stranded, a gas car has to run it's engine and burn fuel to keep the heat going. Pretty sure an EV would last longer in that situation.

Other than that, EVs have the same issue for long travel no matter what the weather. Kind of a moot point.
Old 12-22-2022, 10:20 AM   #27
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyRules View Post
You made it personal because you have a personal vendetta. You don’t care about the people actually getting stranded. You just have an anti-EV view and relish in any kind of event that reaffirms your views on EV’s.
Please quote anything I said that could be construed as a personal attack on someone?

Please quote anything I said that could be interpreted as me not caring about people getting stranded?

I won't wait, because those things don't exist.
Old 12-22-2022, 10:24 AM   #28
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Why would an EV be any different than ICE? If stranded, a gas car has to run it's engine and burn fuel to keep the heat going. Pretty sure an EV would last longer in that situation.

Other than that, EVs have the same issue for long travel no matter what the weather. Kind of a moot point.
Primary difference is heating the car. ICE engines generate heat which is routed to the cabin. EVs do not, so they have to draw from the battery. The difference between a 12% reduction in range and a 41% reduction ins range is not a 'moot point' nor does it support your contention that EV's would last longer.

ICE vehicles will lose on average 12% of their range at -6°C (20°F) due to: Denser air leading to higher aerodynamic drag (majority of range loss) Engine and transmission friction.

http://alohonyai.blogspot.com/2014/1...l-economy.html