Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Member Car Journals

Phastek Performance

Old 08-16-2022, 09:33 PM   #29
Briland_1LE

Drives: 2020 Camaro SS 1LE
For the high RPM will you convert the engine to dry sump? I was wondering if my LT1 could be converted to dry sump using OEM parts.
Briland_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 07:31 AM   #30
Katech_Zach

Drives: 14 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briland_1LE View Post
For the high RPM will you convert the engine to dry sump? I was wondering if my LT1 could be converted to dry sump using OEM parts.
Dry sump would be ideal, but I will be staying wet sump. If you look at the factory GT4, you can mount a tank like that (similar to gen 5 z28), and use all the factory corvette pieces. You would need to convert to a long snout crank though which would be a pain.

I think it would be more advantageous to go to a real dry sump such as a Dailey or ARE
Katech_Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 09:38 AM   #31
Katech_Zach

Good Morning everyone, Hope everyone is enjoying their week.

The engine is going back in, everything is coming together nicely. A big part of this RPM target is keeping everything stable. To help do this, I increased rigidity in a number of places to prevent unwanted instability at full song. I am using Trend 7/16-.165 wall double tapered pushrods (shown in one of my last posts). Typically these do not fit a stock LT cylinder head, but paired with the johnson lifters I chose with offset cups, the pushrod is angled slightly different for additional pushrod clearance. I rolled over the engine slowly and checked every hole for clearance, and to my surprise no additional clearance had to be added. These are also a bit tricky to install, it is very easy to accidentally have these pushrods ride on the snap ring that retainers the lifter cup into the lifter. Each pushrod was carefully installed to avoid accidentally hanging a valve open.

With the increased spring pressure and stiffness of the pushrods, I chose to use the comp cams BSR shaft mounted LT rocker arms. These utilize an OEM rocker arm body with their compound angle shaft system. This is an extremely nice piece, it utilized the lightweight nose of a stock rocker arm body with the rigidity of a shaft mount system. I was going to pair these with ARM LT rocker arm studs, but to my surprise there was not enough clearance in the comp cam setup for the ARP nut included with the kit. I am not worried though, the supplied grade 12.9 bolts will be just fine over the OEM bolts.

I will be using out Katech oil pump for obvious reasons, I do not want to risk having a failure down the road. I will also be using our new VVT delete cover that utilizes a modified GM single bolt LS cam gear. I engineered this gear to be plug and play, it has the correct offset to match the OEM LT1/LT4 locked out timing without throwing off the fuel pump angle or cam timing mark positions.

The build is coming together nicely, below are some more pictures

Op1, Katech AFM Delete Cover

Katech AFM Delete Cover, Finished

Checking Pushrod Clearance / Pushrod installation

Comp Cam BSR LT Rocker Arm

Comp Cam BSR LT Rocker Arm, Torqued

Katech Oil Pump + Katech VVT Delete Gear

Katech VVT Delete Cover

Katech Lightweight Aluminum Flywheel
Old 08-24-2022, 01:58 PM   #32
AZIROC

Drives: '86 IROC-Z '18 ZL1
I've been following this and love the idea. Thanks for sharing the details and pictures of the process.
AZIROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 02:12 PM   #33
Katech_Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZIROC View Post
I've been following this and love the idea. Thanks for sharing the details and pictures of the process.
It will be a ripper! Another note I forgot to mention in the above post, the lightweight flywheel saves roughly 25 lbs from rotating mass, and the cam gear saves nearly 10 lbs of mass from the nose of the camshaft. These 2 items will help offset the additional drive weight of the heavy 2650 rotorpack compared to the 1740 found in the LT4.

Less driveline mass = faster acceleration from the engine
Old 08-25-2022, 06:13 AM   #34
That1guy_tim

Drives: Camaro 1ss
So sick! loving this build
Old 09-06-2022, 08:00 AM   #35
Katech_Zach

Good Morning everyone,

Hope everyone had a good holiday! I have some more progress being made, the engine is installed and we are on the home stretch at this point. There isn't too much left to do other than final button up and some fab work. In my next post, I'll put some more details on the catch can setup I designed, intake modifications for the 120mm throttlebody, and some of the small items that I will be doing for plumbing.

For now, here are some install pictures of the engine + C&R Racing goodies that will keep this build living.

Engine Going In

Engine Installed

C&R Bricks Installed

TooHighPSI Lid Installed

C&R Race 42mm Heat Exchanger

C&R Race Oil Cooler
Old 09-06-2022, 09:39 AM   #36
SOCAL.M6.ZLE
Having FUN in the SUN...

Drives: 2022 M6 ZL1 1LE
Looking GREAT Zach... when do you expect to fire her up?
Also... Can you explain the benefits of the lightweight flywheel for the LT4?
Are the benefits just in reduced rotating mass and engine wear, or does this somehow benefit power delivery with the stock LT4 blower?
ALL the RED Rear End BMR Goodies + JRE Terminator Cam Package + Remote Tuning and Moral Support from TED @ JRE
BMR Motor Mounts + DMS Front HX + FIC 30's + APEX SM.10's + 305/345 R888R's = 770rwhp 785rwtq @E50 13.5psi
SOCAL.M6.ZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 11:21 AM   #37
Katech_Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOCAL.M6.ZLE View Post
Looking GREAT Zach... when do you expect to fire her up?
Also... Can you explain the benefits of the lightweight flywheel for the LT4?
Are the benefits just in reduced rotating mass and engine wear, or does this somehow benefit power delivery with the stock LT4 blower?
It is just less mass that the engine has to turn when it fires. The benefits would be more throttle response, faster acceleration, and faster deceleration. It may show more power on an inertia based dyno, but I would not expect any more power.

For me, my thought process is this: The 2650 rotorpack is quite a bit heavier than the 1740 LT4 rotorpack. By reducing the mass of the flywheel and the cam gear, maybe it offsets the additional weight of the heavier rotorpack.

You would see an improvement in acceleration and deceleration with a stock blower when using a VVT delete gear, lightweight flywheel, or the combination of both
Old 09-10-2022, 03:33 PM   #38
Katech_Zach

Weekend update! The car is alive and well. I will post some preliminary dyno numbers when they are available.

On Monday, I will also post the aux pump fuel system and injector choices for this build to support my fueling needs temporarily. In the winter, I will be switching to a true in-tank pump solution. For now, the aux pump will do it's job.
Old 09-10-2022, 04:54 PM   #39
Chrome383Z

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katech_Zach View Post
Weekend update! The car is alive and well. I will post some preliminary dyno numbers when they are available.

On Monday, I will also post the aux pump fuel system and injector choices for this build to support my fueling needs temporarily. In the winter, I will be switching to a true in-tank pump solution. For now, the aux pump will do it's job.
You guys going to sell an in-tank solution that can handle high-G? Or go to a custom tank…. I don’t believe there’s a drop in solution on the market today with a bucket to keep the fuel pumps from running dry in some long hard turn situations. I’d be interested in one.

By the way awesome it’s running!
Old 09-10-2022, 09:15 PM   #40
Motor Fast

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Hopefully I can see this when I come check mine out in a couple weeks. I think Mike said you were doing all the specifications on my Corvette build.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=604945
Old 09-10-2022, 10:07 PM   #41
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:

Not gonna lie, pretty excited to hear the LT4 revving to 8k! Video is greatly appreciated
PPF | Paint Correction | ZL1 Addons Rock Guards | ZL1 Addons Lift Pads | ZL1 Addons Feather Lite Tow Hook | JWM Smoked Sidemarkers | Wildhammer Smoked Rear Reflectors | JWM License Plate LEDs | RotoFab CAI | ADM IC Reservoir v2 | BC Forged RZ05 | SPL Toe Arms | BW Brake Deflectors | CMS Roll Bar | Schroth Profi II ASM Harnesses
Sold: '99 Trans Am (bolt-ons & cam) | '00 WS6 (bolt-ons, heads, cam, 12 bolt) | '05 CTS-V (bolt-ons, short throw) | '10 SS/RS M6 (short throw, CAI, coilovers, LTs, catback, JRE tune) | '01 WS6

YouTube
RamAir02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 11:17 AM   #42
SOCAL.M6.ZLE
Having FUN in the SUN...

Drives: 2022 M6 ZL1 1LE
Quote:

Congrats Zach! Cant wait to hear this beast!!!
ALL the RED Rear End BMR Goodies + JRE Terminator Cam Package + Remote Tuning and Moral Support from TED @ JRE
BMR Motor Mounts + DMS Front HX + FIC 30's + APEX SM.10's + 305/345 R888R's = 770rwhp 785rwtq @E50 13.5psi
SOCAL.M6.ZLE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
katech, lt4, performance