Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 10-23-2020, 10:08 AM   #1
FoundNemo

Drives: 2019 ZL1
LT4 Lid "Gains" and Lack of Data - Just called it out nicely to LMP

Sooo with all these new LT4 lids coming to market with zero supportive data to support their claims, I sent this over to LMP and to Weapon X. Weapon X seems to not have any interest in sending supportive data, just telling me basically they know what they are doing.

Sent to LMP:

Your lid requires a tune correct? Seems there are a lot of new lids coming to market between yalls (large scale airflow divider, definite plenum volume increase), WPX (claimed larger plenum volume but appears similar to 19 OEM ZL1 style despite minor shape differences, airflow divider), Vararam (tbd specs) and the original NX lid (same OEM plenum volume, airflow divider) that is available.

Weapon X just released theirs and claim no tune despite larger total volume under the lid. Contrasting that, the posts on the forums from members buying the LMP lid are saying LMP definitely recommends a tune due to the sensor data reviewed during the lid testing, specifically due to the plenum volume increases.

While the reduction in heat makes sense with increased volume, it would be nice to have some hard numbers from one of the vendors on gains vs stock LT4 dynos with these lids (esp with data showing A/F ratio, KR, spark and IATs to eliminate variables for bias).

Also, increasing lid volume may delay throttle response or lag perhaps I would think due to it taking a bit longer to fill the larger volume, although lower temps etc would be expected. Could be wrong, but it begs the need for hard data and third party dynos with controlled variables to justify the high price of these lids. Nearly all of the folks replying to the WPX announcement on Camaro6 said they'd never consider it without supporting data, so its like some these nice products could be missing a notable portion of the intended market.

Here is the Weapon-X quote they sent me:

"The lid offers more than just a performance upgrade and that starts out with a chunk of billet AL and machining it down and finishing it from there. The more artificial plenum volume you add, the less turbulent and hot the air gets. Gains depend on mods, but we've seen nearly 25HP difference in adding this and this type of operation has been done for Eaton GM blowers for years since the GM LSA blowers."

For reference, NX claims a ton of power but that is compared to the 16 style Z06 (small volume, non-canted intercooler bricks) lid which they improved upon. The actual claims for gains on a 19+ ZL1 or Z06 are more like 7-10 max, if any.

Just sharing to be fair and ask for more data esp for stock-no tune cars that are looking for a bit more warranty safe power and noise, even if its pricey. This would also highly differentiate LMP from the competition in the sharing of unbiased and thorough data to support your product, which in my eyes none of the competition you all have for lids are choosing to do.
FoundNemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 01:14 PM   #2
DFW_Muscle

Drives: 2018 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
Perhaps there isn't a lot of motivation for them to do extensive testing and document the results in a scientific way that holds any validity. I understand what you are after but I also understand why they wouldn't publish it. It's similar to Griptec or any other pulley manufacturer that makes pulleys for the LT4 platform. They don't publish data showing exactly what airflow dynamics change on a ZL1, CTS-V or Z06, stock or otherwise, as there are a ton of variables that come into play. But, it's widely accepted in the community that a smaller pulley on an LT4 will gain power (to a point) and a tune is required. Similar logic holds for the lids, albeit I think the effects of this mod will be even less.
DFW_Muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 01:54 PM   #3
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Lack of info, (Dyno charts, track results, etc) is a tad off-putting, IMO.

I get a power gain being a necessity with a tune. It’s not a stretch of the imagination. It really boils down to whether or not there was any power left on the table from the tune before the lid & re-tune.

That aside, the end power gains for the cost are, IMO, not a very good HP/$, from sheerly a dyno perspective, maybe actual track results would be different.

Still though, I can’t get past the cost. I get it’s a big chunk of billet, but casting would be cheaper in the long run & probably perform almost identically.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 03:02 PM   #4
PROMETHEUS

Drives: 2019 ZL-1, Shadow Gray, Sold
10, 15, 25 HP gains, most competent tuners can get that without too much difficulty and alot less expensive! I'll stick with the OEM.
PROMETHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 05:26 PM   #5
newchevyman

Drives: 2017 Camero ZL1
The gains to be had are on V3 and C7Zs with shorter lids. The ZL1 has a taller lid than both. DSX just released theirs but it was tested on a V3. I have yet to see any significant gains on aftermarket ZL1 lids. Most people just want the aesthetic and louder whine anyway.
2007 Z06 H/C/I/E Half Mile - 169 MPH. Sold.
newchevyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 04:34 PM   #6
Markoz28

Drives: 18 ZL1 nightfall grey A10
Testing should be on a ZL1 that has been tuned and then add this only to it and then retune. The HP number difference should be the indicator of what affect this or any Lid would have.

If it’s 25whp with the lid and tune then I would save my money and just do the tune. Tune alone is about that much gain.
Markoz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 06:03 AM   #7
Dan82679

Drives: 2017 ZL1
I have a jar of snake oil for sale. One teaspoon into the gas tank for gains of up to 25 HP.
Dan82679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 06:41 AM   #8
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Attached Images

Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 07:06 AM   #9
SJFGTO
Oh Oh it's Friday Night!

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE Nightfall Gray
No noticeable gain when I installed my NX lid. Looks nice and the blower whine is definitely more noticeable. After my headers, pulley, etc were installed, the final dyno results were about what I would have expected if I did not have a lid. Hardly scientific, but I just do not see a difference in power level or throttle response from a lid.
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE NFG; ARH 2” headers, catless mids, ARH full exhaust, Lingenfelter 18% lower pulley, ATI Harmonic Balancer, Roto-fab CAI, EE-catch can, TM ported TB, NX Lid, BMR strut tower brace. Aeroforce dual pod interceptor gauges. Tuned by Vengeance Racing!!! 644 HP @ 6250 rpm / 689 trq @ 3660 rpm

Four that wanna own me
Two that wanna stone me
One says she's a friend of mine...
SJFGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 07:05 PM   #10
dbs1

Dan, this Dan would like some of your snake oil!

I personally don't need any more sc whine (hardly hear mine) I hear enough with the TRD blower on my Tacoma, and I like the looks of the oem ZL1 lid.

At $500-$700 I was interested in a little more power and certainly the increased cooling capacity for track use, but with no supporting evidence and $1200+ it won't be part of my mod list.
dbs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 01:08 PM   #11
AZIROC

Drives: '86 IROC-Z '18 ZL1
Anything new on these? Seems it got hot and then everything fizzled.
AZIROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 04:30 PM   #12
Dan82679

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZIROC View Post
Anything new on these? Seems it got hot and then everything fizzled.
sure did
Attached Images

Dan82679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 06:15 PM   #13
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Drives: 1980 Z28 Big Red.
The 6th Gen ZL1s have been out about 5 years. If there was a lid doing something seriously worthwhile from a performance perspective I’m sure all of us for the most part would be aware of it. We’d be seeing published numbers. Unfortunately as of right now our stock lids are proving to be pretty damn good right out of the factory. I think it says something about how well it was designed.
Scottyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 07:10 PM   #14
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyz View Post
The 6th Gen ZL1s have been out about 5 years. If there was a lid doing something seriously worthwhile from a performance perspective I’m sure all of us for the most part would be aware of it. We’d be seeing published numbers. Unfortunately as of right now our stock lids are proving to be pretty damn good right out of the factory. I think it says something about how well it was designed.
There's no power to be gained from a lid, is purely cosmetic and can add a little sound. As you stated, the LT4 engine has been out for years now and no meaningful data exists for any of these lids. Its snake oil for performance.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote