Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-14-2023, 06:08 PM   #1
TheSixSpeed

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro LT1 6 speed
Stock-ish Mods?

Hello, I’ve been a long time lurker and I’m interested in modding my LT1 to get somewhere around 500whp. My problem is deciding whether to stay NA or go with boost. Here are my issues:

As someone who lives in a neighborhood with a strict HOA, having my LT1 go any louder than it already is (with NPP) is a no go. I also want to keep it as stock “feeling” as possible. Not exactly interested in a cam that will cause my car to stall more often during start up and low speed driving. My current mods that I’m considering are:

1. Rotofab Dry CAI
2. LT2 Intake
3. Flex Fuel

I’ve also considered headers, but it seems like they drastically increase the noise level of the car, even with the stock exhaust and cats. What would ya’ll recommend to get to that 500whp? Thanks in advance.
TheSixSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 06:29 PM   #2
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSixSpeed View Post
Hello, I’ve been a long time lurker and I’m interested in modding my LT1 to get somewhere around 500whp. My problem is deciding whether to stay NA or go with boost. Here are my issues:

As someone who lives in a neighborhood with a strict HOA, having my LT1 go any louder than it already is (with NPP) is a no go. I also want to keep it as stock “feeling” as possible. Not exactly interested in a cam that will cause my car to stall more often during start up and low speed driving. My current mods that I’m considering are:

1. Rotofab Dry CAI
2. LT2 Intake
3. Flex Fuel

I’ve also considered headers, but it seems like they drastically increase the noise level of the car, even with the stock exhaust and cats. What would ya’ll recommend to get to that 500whp? Thanks in advance.
I don't think that will get you there, a stock LT1/SS is around 390-395 RWHP, I think with your suggestions above you'd probably end up around 450-470 RWHP with a good tune...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 07:21 PM   #3
TheSixSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
I don't think that will get you there, a stock LT1/SS is around 390-395 RWHP, I think with your suggestions above you'd probably end up around 450-470 RWHP with a good tune...
450-470 is already pretty good, would porting or replacing the heads be another mod to consider, or would that also impact drivability?
Old 01-14-2023, 07:33 PM   #4
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSixSpeed View Post
450-470 is already pretty good, would porting or replacing the heads be another mod to consider, or would that also impact drivability?
450-470 RWHP will definitely be a noticeable difference... I would say maybe headers and deleting secondary cats might get you the extra 20-30 HP you are looking for... For anything more I think you are likely going to need to go forced induction...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 07:36 PM   #5
WiggyB

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Get the headers and just close the valves when headed home which is exactly what I do. Hate to say it won't hit the numbers you are wanting without one or the other (headers or cam).
Old 01-14-2023, 08:43 PM   #6
knighti2

Drives: 2SS M6 Hot Wheels #515
I just posted these results in another thread asking about flex fuel. Here are my numbers and you will not get to 500 rwhp without doing more I don't believe.

I just had the following installed:

Rotofab, Solar 87mm ported TB, Kooks headers / green cats, MSD wires and new plugs, a flex fuel system and the requisite tuning. Stock intake (no porting) and stock NPP exhaust.

This was all on a local shop's mustang dyno:
On 93 Octane the car made 429rwhp.
On E85 the car made 460rhwp.

Obviously we can use Tour / Stealth mode to keep it quieter with NPP. It is noticeable louder in Sport / Track mode for sure.

Stock intake (no porting) and stock NPP exhaust.
knighti2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 02:11 AM   #7
TheSixSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
450-470 RWHP will definitely be a noticeable difference... I would say maybe headers and deleting secondary cats might get you the extra 20-30 HP you are looking for... For anything more I think you are likely going to need to go forced induction...
Unfortunately deleting the secondary cats and swapping the headers would definitely make the car louder, which isn’t what I want (at least while I’m living where I’m at currently). Would porting the heads (such as with Pray) or getting aftermarket heads lead to any reasonable gains? Or would they be minimal without headers to go with it?

Might consider a mild cam.
Old 01-15-2023, 06:25 PM   #8
PeteSS2018

Drives: 2018 2SS Camaro
Why wouldn't you go with a tried and tested boost/SC solution?

You need to get it tuned anyone, so as long as you go with a safe & professional tune by someone who knows what they're doing ... it should give you your power target relatively easily, with a very 'factory' type drive (while taking it easy) and not a complex mod mechanically speaking.
Eibach Prokit springs
Mamo LT1 Ported TB
PeteSS2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 06:49 PM   #9
Hammer-joe

Drives: 18 Camaro 2SS
Procharger

I would go the procharger route. In 2019 I installed Procharger P-1X on my 2018 Camaro SS everything else was completely stock. It made 540 with a 4.0 pulley.
Hammer-joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 09:06 PM   #10
TheSixSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSS2018 View Post
Why wouldn't you go with a tried and tested boost/SC solution?

You need to get it tuned anyone, so as long as you go with a safe & professional tune by someone who knows what they're doing ... it should give you your power target relatively easily, with a very 'factory' type drive (while taking it easy) and not a complex mod mechanically speaking.
After taking a bit of time to look at various boost applications, I think a LT1 to LT4 conversion might be what I want. Procharger is nice, but I’m more of a fan of PD since that would get me power everywhere rather than just high in the rev range. Will probably still do the Rotofab and Flex Fuel in the mean time. Thank you for the suggestions.