Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 12-27-2016, 09:52 PM   #1
jrobinson1016

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT RS Hyper Blue
X-pipe?

Anyone have an X-pipe? What do you gain from having one? Is there any others than Borla's X-pipe for the V6?
jrobinson1016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 01:25 AM   #2
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
If anyone put out an exhaust system that made any measurable power increase compared to stock on this car, it would be advertised everywhere and quickly copied by everyone.

Since that isn't the reality, I'm going with sound as the deciding factor between choosing basically any option vs any other. Problem is that the stock setup is not that bad. At least in terms of performance.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 09:18 PM   #3
dinosaur13

Drives: 2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2LT RS
I'm interested in this as well, especially regarding the AFM Valves, as removing them would cause a CEL.
dinosaur13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 12:08 AM   #4
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobinson1016 View Post
Anyone have an X-pipe? What do you gain from having one? Is there any others than Borla's X-pipe for the V6?
not yet, but the gain is usually mid to upper rpm flow velocity.

MagnaFlow has one, universal. they might have it in the catback coming out possibly.

Quote:

X vs. H

Although X- and H-pipes perform extremely well for a minimal investment in time and money, both offer unique properties that make one more suitable than the other depending on the application. “The two biggest differences between an X- and an H-pipe are sound and power. Generally, the X-pipe will deliver a more high-pitched exhaust note, making a car sound more exotic, whereas an H-pipe gives a deeper tone with more of a traditional hot rod sound,” says George Rumore of Stainless Works. “As for the difference in power gain between the two, it is very minimal. The X-pipe will usually make anywhere from two to four more horsepower than an H-pipe. The slight horsepower difference comes from the way the X-pipe creates a venturi effect, which helps pull the exhaust gases out of the cylinder faster. Overall, the main difference is sound rather than performance, meaning there are no pros or cons. It’s simply a matter of personal preference.”

In addition to differences in sound and horsepower, both X- and H-pipes affect different parts of the powerband as well. According to PerTronix’s Don Lindfors, the basic configuration of both styles of crossovers lend a clue as to why this is the case. “An H-pipe tends to make more of a difference at lower rpm, while-X pipes will increase power more at higher rpm. As you can imagine, just by looking at each configuration, in the H-pipe the exhaust has to make a sharp 90-degree turn, while the X-pipe offers a smoother transition,” he says. “The X-pipe creates much more of a scavenging effect. That said, it is important to prevent the X-pipe from necking down too small or flow can be hampered. Both an X- and an H-pipe will smooth out the separated sound of the cylinders, while an X-pipe tends to blend all eight cylinders together more.”
http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/exh...for-your-ride/

applies much the same on a 6 as well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
If anyone put out an exhaust system that made any measurable power increase compared to stock on this car, it would be advertised everywhere and quickly copied by everyone.

Since that isn't the reality, I'm going with sound as the deciding factor between choosing basically any option vs any other. Problem is that the stock setup is not that bad. At least in terms of performance.
small gains are to be had...its not massive, but to make a car run faster in n/a form, you have to make it more efficient. more efficient means more power is sent to the wheels than through pumping losses of the engine. so a more efficient car would have a higher power output.

Before Exhaust temps started in the low 50's and stopped around 60.
http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showpo...23&postcount=6

After Exhaust temps were mid 40's and got into the 50's
http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showpo...4&postcount=10

only change outside of the exhaust was taking tools out the trunk, near 200lbs. still ran with the floor jack most of the day on the after results. no other changes.

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 01:24 AM   #5
cellsafemode

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur13 View Post
I'm interested in this as well, especially regarding the AFM Valves, as removing them would cause a CEL.

Removing the AFM valves does nothing.

They are an acoustic feature only
Old 12-29-2016, 08:35 AM   #6
dinosaur13

Drives: 2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2LT RS
Quote:
Removing the AFM valves does nothing.

They are an acoustic feature only
Oh, I thought removing them would cause a CEL.

If anyone has installed a X-pipe on their v6, could you post some videos please?
Thanks!
dinosaur13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 11:22 AM   #7
cellsafemode

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolynesianPowerhouse View Post
small gains are to be had...its not massive, but to make a car run faster in n/a form, you have to make it more efficient. more efficient means more power is sent to the wheels than through pumping losses of the engine. so a more efficient car would have a higher power output.

Before Exhaust temps started in the low 50's and stopped around 60.
http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showpo...23&postcount=6

After Exhaust temps were mid 40's and got into the 50's
http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showpo...4&postcount=10

only change outside of the exhaust was taking tools out the trunk, near 200lbs. still ran with the floor jack most of the day on the after results. no other changes.

Except a good 90% if not more of that difference in time seems to be just your reaction time. I dont think you can credit the exhaust for that.

Edit: nevermind, Reaction time doesn't factor into the times reaching various distances.

Last edited by cellsafemode; 12-29-2016 at 01:51 PM.
Old 12-29-2016, 04:55 PM   #8
Marty McFlew
Banned

Drives: 17 SuperSport Camaro 6 on the Flo'
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobinson1016 View Post
The magnaflow Resonated X-pipe flows well and gives a deep bass tone.
Marty McFlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 05:32 PM   #9
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
Quote:
Except a good 90% if not more of that difference in time seems to be just your reaction time. I dont think you can credit the exhaust for that.

Edit: nevermind, Reaction time doesn't factor into the times reaching various distances.

exactly...you can sit there for 40 seconds after it goes green. its when you start and finish.

that being said, the exhaust really was the only change. and after opening up the stock exhaust I took off and seeing how many chambers and baffles inside...its NOT made for performance. its made to slow exhaust flow, which in turn keeps the noise down, for the avg person. this may be crude to some, but the visual would be common sense due to almost anything on a car can be explained using the human body...so....if any of you had to take a #2.... and it was through an additional 9 feet of hose, you'd spend a lot more time and effort pushing it out. aftermarket exhaust offers a shorter distance, and far more free flowing design. its carries efficiency. less chance for velocity slowing down is the performance gain, and less sound absorbing or cancelling out is the by product of sound.

like ive always said, if you make something more efficient, you get more power out of it. sometimes, sounds and looks are the side show, not the main goal. and you don't need a dyno sheet to monitor real world results, as a dyno will never fully mimic real world outside of having one in a wind tunnel.

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 05:40 PM   #10
bdar66

Drives: 2016 camaro lt2 rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur13 View Post
mine didnt even come with them...
bdar66 is offline   Reply With Quote