Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Phastek Performance

Old 08-27-2020, 11:43 PM   #1
Awebb

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro LT1
2020 LT1 looking for wheel/tire recommendations

Hi guys, pretty new to the performance car scene, spent the last 17 years on 2 wheels when I wanted to have fun. The wife and I decided it was time to switch to 4. Sold off my 2019 Road Glide Special and my Wife’s Can-Am Spyder and bought a 2020 Camaro LT1 a few weeks ago.

I’ve been browsing this forum, soaking up all the good information for the past couple of weeks, but it’s time to ask a couple of questions.

I’m looking to do wheels/tires for a couple reasons. Not a huge fan of the stock LT1 silver wheels, and looking for some more grip. I’m not super familiar with all of the ins and outs of wheel sizing, so I’m hoping for some help from this fine group of people.

My car has 245/40/20s front and rear from the factory. Brembo brakes up front, and regulars in the back. I’m looking for a reasonably priced aftermarket wheel that I can run at least 275s, but preferably 295/305s on the back. I’m OK with the staggered look, so 245s or 255s up front are good with me. I think black would look really good with my “Red Hot” car color, so that’s my main focus color-wise. I live in Iowa, but don’t plan on driving it once the snow flies, so probably looking for summer/3 season tires. I’m not racing it, running road courses, going to the drag strip regularly or anything like that. Just a street-driven car that I like to have a little fun with.

I would absolutely love suggestions, recommendations, any help at all getting me pointed in the right direction. I tried taking a look out at Tire Rack, but they don’t even have the LT1 as an option, so I wasn’t sure which model to look at to even get started.

Looking for:
Wheel and wheel sizing suggestions (wheel manufacturers to consider or avoid)
Tire and tire sizing suggestions

Also curious about impact on tire sizing to the onboard sensors, and impact to the Speedo. Is there anything to be concerned with there?

Any help at all is appreciated. If there’s any more information about the car or what I’m looking for that would be useful to anyone looking to help me out, please let me know and I’ll get it added.
Attached Images

Last edited by Awebb; 08-28-2020 at 12:01 AM. Reason: Added detail
Awebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 11:55 PM   #2
Awebb

Here’s a few different wheels that I liked the style of, just to give people an idea. No idea if these specific wheels would work, or if the manufacturers are any good, just sharing to give an idea of some styles that caught my eye.
Attached Images

Old 08-28-2020, 01:55 AM   #3
sr71bb

Drives: 2019 Camaro Z-28
suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awebb View Post
Here’s a few different wheels that I liked the style of, just to give people an idea. No idea if these specific wheels would work, or if the manufacturers are any good, just sharing to give an idea of some styles that caught my eye.
Well wheel choice basically comes down to what you personally prefer in terms of the style of the wheel. A couple of things to consider however that apply to any style wheel you choose.

WHEEL DIAMETER....The choice here depends on how you intend to use you Camaro and what your personal preferences might be in regards to how much wheel gap is cosmetically acceptable to you. For example I personally will track my car on an autocross or a road course but at the same time it is a daily driver. So my choice was to go to a 19 inch diameter wheel from the standard 20 inch wheels that my 2019 SS came with. 19 inch wheels are LIGHTER in weight than their 20 inch wheel counterparts and they also help in that it lowers the center of gravity. 18 inch diameter wheels I also considered but I DIDNT go that route because I feel there is TOO much wheel gap between the TOP of the tire and the fender wheel. My personal opinion is that there should not be MORE than a TWO FINGER gap between the top of the tire and the fender wheel. With my APEX SM-10 19 x 10.5 wheels and SG3 suspension upgrade (1/2 inch lower than stock) I get a little less than a two finger gap using michelin sport 4S 305 30 19 tires ON ALL FOUR corners.

Here is a picture of my car with APEX SM-10 19 x 10.5 wheels and MS 305 30 19 tires. These pics were taken BEFORE the ZL1 1LE brake upgrade and the BEFORE the SG3 suspension upgrade. The car sits approximately a .5 inch lower NOW.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...=515659&page=6

CAMARO Concentric or NOT??? When selecting your wheels most manufacturers offer wheels that are EXACTLY the same hub diameter as the rotor hub so that CONCENTRIC rings are NOT necessary to make the wheels fit properly. These manufacturers along with being Camaro concentric offer these same wheels in OFFSETS that are close or identical to the factory speced wheels. In the APEX wheel lineup for instance the ARC-8 style wheel is camaro concentric and doesnt require concentric rings while the APEX SM-10 wheels are NOT Camaro concentric and require rings. The SM-10 was originally designed for our BMW friends and thus the reason for the difference in hub size. When using NON-CAMARO concentric wheels you have to be more careful about the offsets you select. The SM-10 19 x 10.5 wheels for example have a ET25 offset so that pushes the tire and wheel more to the OUTSIDE of the car yet STILL within the wheel wheel when the correct camber settings are used (-1.5 degrees of all four corners).

This will help you in selecting a wheel that will fit properly:
https://support.apexraceparts.com/hc...-Fitment-Guide

The WEIGHT of the wheel can be a consideration as well. Fully forged wheels used to be the best way to achieve weight savings while maintaining strength but the FLOW FORMED manufacturing process that are available on alot of wheels now accomplishes the same feat at less cost. If cost is NO OBJECT, then the highest tech wheel now is one where the main barrel of the wheel is actually made of carbon fiber which results in a wheel that weighs ABOUT 7 pounds less than anything else at a cost of ABOUT 3500 dollars a wheel.

Brake Caliber clearance issues CAN BE an issue with some wheels especially if you go down in diameter size UNLESS the wheel has been designed to clear them properly. I have ZL1 1LE brakes on my 2019 SS and the rotor itself is over 15 inches in diameter and the six piston caliber of course goes around that so on SOME 19 inch wheels I might have an issue and theres even more of an issue if 18's are used UNLESS the wheel manufacturer has test fitted his wheels using these EXACT combinations.

I know you said you dont mind a staggered set up but my advice would be if you ever plan on tracking the car, you should consider the same size wheel and tire on all four corners. Of course I can t really run a 325 or 335 width tire on my 19 x 10.5 rim but I CAN rotate my EXPENSIVE michelin tires from front to back every 5000 miles. I SHOULD be able to get 30-35K miles out of them that way as well.

I came out of a 2019 ZL1 1LE where I wore the tires out every 1500 miles at a replacement cost of 1600 dollars a set (they were the GY R rated factory tires). Who needs that????
https://youtu.be/c9M5UHDftcA
4-15-23 at SCCA TT U1 Class

MEGA Thread on THIS car:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=602092

Retired Cars BELOW:
1973 Camaro, 1969 Camaro, 1969 Camaro SS RS
2010 Camaro SS with 1000HP F1R, 2019 ZL1 1LE A10

Last edited by sr71bb; 08-28-2020 at 02:09 AM.
sr71bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 04:20 PM   #4
Awebb

sr71bb, thanks for the reply, and the helpful information!

I looked through the information on the Apex site that you linked, and it was very helpful as well. I get the decision to drop down to 19" from the stock 20" wheels, but that would lower the car by roughly an inch (assuming that you're keeping with similar profile tires), would it not? It looks like Apex only makes 18" and 19" wheels for the Camaro?

I get how that would be beneficial for handling, but I can't lower the car at all and still get in and out of my driveway, unfortunately :-(. Even at stock height, I have to back out slowly, and at an angle to keep the lower air-dam from scraping... It sucks.

Do you know of any reputable manufacturers that make Camaro specific fitments in 20" wheels? As for budget, I'd really like to stay under $3000 all-in for wheels, tires, installation, etc, if possible (and my wife may still kill me for that).
Old 09-02-2020, 07:25 PM   #5
sr71bb

Drives: 2019 Camaro Z-28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awebb View Post
sr71bb, thanks for the reply, and the helpful information!

I looked through the information on the Apex site that you linked, and it was very helpful as well. I get the decision to drop down to 19" from the stock 20" wheels, but that would lower the car by roughly an inch (assuming that you're keeping with similar profile tires), would it not? It looks like Apex only makes 18" and 19" wheels for the Camaro?

I get how that would be beneficial for handling, but I can't lower the car at all and still get in and out of my driveway, unfortunately :-(. Even at stock height, I have to back out slowly, and at an angle to keep the lower air-dam from scraping... It sucks.

Do you know of any reputable manufacturers that make Camaro specific fitments in 20" wheels? As for budget, I'd really like to stay under $3000 all-in for wheels, tires, installation, etc, if possible (and my wife may still kill me for that).
With the same size tire, a 19 inch wheel would have the net result of lowering the car only 1/2 an inch. If you really want to stay with 20 inch wheels I would check out the FORGESTAR flow form wheels
https://www.forgestar.com/

Camaro Specific wheels are HERE:

https://www.forgestar.com/camaro-ss-...formed-wheels/
https://youtu.be/c9M5UHDftcA
4-15-23 at SCCA TT U1 Class

MEGA Thread on THIS car:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=602092

Retired Cars BELOW:
1973 Camaro, 1969 Camaro, 1969 Camaro SS RS
2010 Camaro SS with 1000HP F1R, 2019 ZL1 1LE A10
sr71bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 11:20 AM   #6
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
this is my third set of hre flowforms for my camaro and love them as for tires i have michelin ps4s in oem 1le sizes and they are awesome!!

https://www.hrewheels.com/wheels/flowform
Old 09-17-2020, 11:32 AM   #7
Chrome383Z

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
this is my third set of hre flowforms for my camaro and love them as for tires i have michelin ps4s in oem 1le sizes and they are awesome!!

https://www.hrewheels.com/wheels/flowform
+1.

Yeah I plan on FF01 HRE Flowform with 255/40/20 fronts (20x9) and 295/35/20 555r2s on the back (20x10.5). But that’s gonna cost me a pretty penny. Saving up. It’ll look sick though.
Chrome383Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 04:03 PM   #8
Paintslinger16
Two Lane Blacktop

Drives: '18 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr71bb;10861178

Camaro Specific wheels are HERE:

[url
https://www.forgestar.com/camaro-ss-custom-forgestar-flowformed-wheels/[/url]
No prices, odd way to do business
Paintslinger16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 07:58 PM   #9
Scargoes

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintslinger16 View Post
No prices, odd way to do business
They told me they don't sell direct to customer, you have to buy thru a distributor.

1:34.20 Willow Springs Big Track
Scargoes is offline   Reply With Quote