Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 03-01-2021, 06:45 AM   #337
Choda

Drives: Turbo 6.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by parish8 View Post
If everything is plugged in maybe a rear o2?
I bet you’re right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parish8 View Post
One little clip left over? That isn’t bad.
Come on, I’m just about dont wrapping this up and have this clip left. You’re supposed to know all answers.
Old 03-02-2021, 07:25 PM   #338
wolfdog

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS 1LE
really curious to see how that drain works out for you...i was thinking of repurposing that as well but wondered about the oil level with that down tube.

think i saw the vid of the check ball and honing out the diameter etc.

i believe thats the factory "clean side" catch can drain that the heads and intake vented to.

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts...rator-12674766
wolfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 09:51 PM   #339
Choda

I made that video too. I ended up removing the tube. If this doesn’t drain as good as I want,
I have a motion raceworks scavage pump on the shelf, I’ll be installing.
Old 03-03-2021, 07:55 AM   #340
wolfdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choda View Post
I made that video too. I ended up removing the tube. If this doesn’t drain as good as I want,
I have a motion raceworks scavage pump on the shelf, I’ll be installing.
just saw that one...thanks for posting your journey. It has been very informative.

Initially I was thinking about a rear mount turbo but I dont like the supply/return length to and from engine with a pump so considered a stand alone sump in the back with pumps but that just invites issues and variables.

Doug from Motion has the "blue mule" 6th gen that is twin turbo...I think im going to ask how his oil returns are routed...im thinking pan is tapped which is always the best option if we can find a decent gravity route.

LS have so many easy options developed...LT vettes and swaps have options but not our camaros that I can find.

Whats the consensus on returning oil to the heads on the LT?...not my first choice given you have to run a pump but im open to all suggestions.
Old 03-03-2021, 08:19 AM   #341
Choda

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfdog View Post
just saw that one...thanks for posting your journey. It has been very informative.

Initially I was thinking about a rear mount turbo but I dont like the supply/return length to and from engine with a pump so considered a stand alone sump in the back with pumps but that just invites issues and variables.

Doug from Motion has the "blue mule" 6th gen that is twin turbo...I think im going to ask how his oil returns are routed...im thinking pan is tapped which is always the best option if we can find a decent gravity route.

LS have so many easy options developed...LT vettes and swaps have options but not our camaros that I can find.

Whats the consensus on returning oil to the heads on the LT?...not my first choice given you have to run a pump but im open to all suggestions.
It really depends on where the turbo is mounted. If it is high enough, a gravity drain to the pan or front cover is fine. Im not seeing how you could drain into the valve cover on the head with our cars. We dont have a lot of under the hood height so its likely youll use a pump. Im trying to keep mine gravity, but like I have said, I have a brand new pump sitting there just incase.

My experience with the pumps are this
1. Spend the money and get the good one.
2. Wire it properly
3. Once the pump is mounted, you can put the return pretty much anywhere you want.
4. If you are remote or the feed line is on a downward angle to the turbos, use a check valve at the turbo. This will keep oil from filling the turbo when the engine is off.

There are a couple nice turbo kits for the 6th gen camaro. They are pricey but you get what you pay for because there nothing you need to rig up.
Old 03-03-2021, 10:42 AM   #342
Umbriel

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:

I am running the oil less turbos from Comp on my car, might want to look into those, unless you already have the turbos.
Umbriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 12:45 PM   #343
wolfdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbriel View Post
I am running the oil less turbos from Comp on my car, might want to look into those, unless you already have the turbos.
I did look into the Comp turbos...way out of my price range lol. I am going china (sorry i am poor)
Old 03-03-2021, 12:49 PM   #344
wolfdog

Quote:
It really depends on where the turbo is mounted. If it is high enough, a gravity drain to the pan or front cover is fine. Im not seeing how you could drain into the valve cover on the head with our cars. We dont have a lot of under the hood height so its likely youll use a pump. Im trying to keep mine gravity, but like I have said, I have a brand new pump sitting there just incase.

My experience with the pumps are this
1. Spend the money and get the good one.
2. Wire it properly
3. Once the pump is mounted, you can put the return pretty much anywhere you want.
4. If you are remote or the feed line is on a downward angle to the turbos, use a check valve at the turbo. This will keep oil from filling the turbo when the engine is off.

There are a couple nice turbo kits for the 6th gen camaro. They are pricey but you get what you pay for because there nothing you need to rig up.
yes would def be using a pump if returned to the heads but im curious if this is even a viable option...internet hear-say is that LT heads dont like it.

And yes...check valves would be used at points needed to keep oil from flowing back.

Im assuming you have the EXA pump?

I think if the front cover is an option then that would be the most direct drain for a gravity setup. I know it works for LS...have not seen it for LT yet.
Old 03-03-2021, 05:29 PM   #345
Choda

Quote:
I did look into the Comp turbos...way out of my price range lol. I am going china (sorry i am poor)
One local friend ruined a pair of comps
Stang killer just ruined his too.

Id stay away from them unless they get success stories with thousands of miles

Quote:
yes would def be using a pump if returned to the heads but im curious if this is even a viable option...internet hear-say is that LT heads dont like it.

And yes...check valves would be used at points needed to keep oil from flowing back.

Im assuming you have the EXA pump?

I think if the front cover is an option then that would be the most direct drain for a gravity setup. I know it works for LS...have not seen it for LT yet.
Yes, exactly what I have. Their mini pump

https://www.motionraceworks.com/prod...p-twx-200m-12v
Old 03-03-2021, 07:48 PM   #346
Umbriel

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
One local friend ruined a pair of comps

Stang killer just ruined his too.

Id stay away from them unless they get success stories with thousands of miles

Yes, exactly what I have. Their mini pump

https://www.motionraceworks.com/prod...p-twx-200m-12v
Huron Speed is running them on their 1300hp ZL1, I'm not too worried about that. Keeping them greased properly should keep them alive.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Umbriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 07:28 AM   #347
Choda

Does the 3 port mac valve have 1/8 npt ports? The mac valve that came with my boost controller sure as hell looks like a mac valve but is 100% not 1/8npt. I did find one barb fitting in my box of fittings that is the correct thread and it seems to be a little smaller than 1/8npt.

I'm running up to the hardware store on lunch to see if I can find something. I don't want a knock off solenoid, esp if I need adapters to make it work with my setup that is all 1/8npt.

Pretty sure I figured out what I want to do with the catch can and vac block. Should function nice and hopefully look good.

Well google search shows I have a knock off. It has the same engraving and numbers as the "fake" pictures show. Damnit

Last edited by Choda; 03-04-2021 at 07:53 AM.
Choda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 08:06 AM   #348
Choda

^^^ UPDATE

This picture is wrong. I reached out to Go Fast Bits about the mac valve. they said the "P" stamped in the side is not a fake indicator, its a thread indicator. This mac valve has what is called parallel thread or BSP thread which is also 1/8. So not sure why the hell they would carry these and not the common 1/8 npt threaded valves but whatever. So another order from amazon and I should be all set.

If and when I have to change this valve, ill be going with a 1/8 npt valve.
Old 03-05-2021, 08:14 AM   #349
GN_Drake

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Curious how the GFB goes for you. I went with AEM on mine, and saw less drop off then the MBC, but still had some. Didn't really get a lot of time to play with it before it headed to shop though.
GN_Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 11:40 AM   #350
Choda

Quote:
Originally Posted by GN_Drake View Post
Curious how the GFB goes for you. I went with AEM on mine, and saw less drop off then the MBC, but still had some. Didn't really get a lot of time to play with it before it headed to shop though.
Oh I will def keep this thread updated with how this turns out. What type of drop did you have with the MBC and how much was it with the EBC?