Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Phastek Performance

Old 07-22-2017, 01:41 PM   #1
mvfjet

Drives: hoopty mustake
Magneride ride quality and comfort?

I've always been curious about the magneride suspension. It seems like a great piece of engineering for not a big price. You 1LE guys, what do you think of the differences in ride quality between modes? Is the softest mode luxury car like? Thanks for any feedback.
mvfjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 02:00 PM   #2
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
The soft mode makes me carsick. I use it only for horrible roads where it does a good job diminishing the harshness.

For street driving, I like the suspension in auto setting with competitive driving mode. Doesn't roll too much and absorbs avg size bumps pretty well. But even track mode isn't that bad tbh.
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 02:10 PM   #3
JK001

Drives: ZHP, Alfa 4C, RAM, X5, 17SS1LE-sold
"Luxury car like"? Not in this car but it depends on your definition. In touring mode, the car is "supple" enough to take my wife on a dinner date. I think the harsher ride comes from the 20 inch wheels and stiff tires more so than firm suspension. I came from BMW M cars and the ride in the 1LE is just as firm and has never bothered me. But it is not supple or luxury by any means.
JK001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 07:04 PM   #4
dotfiles
@SS_1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK001 View Post
"Luxury car like"? Not in this car but it depends on your definition. In touring mode, the car is "supple" enough to take my wife on a dinner date. I think the harsher ride comes from the 20 inch wheels and stiff tires more so than firm suspension. I came from BMW M cars and the ride in the 1LE is just as firm and has never bothered me. But it is not supple or luxury by any means.
I too came from BMW M cars and the mag ride in the 1LE is honestly way better than the M adjustable suspension. Softer and more composed in comfort mode and stiffer without any harshness in track mode.
Old 07-22-2017, 07:27 PM   #5
Eldi Z

Drives: 17' 1SS 1LE GBA-Black
Which M series did you drive and which years?
Can you compare the complete experience / share your findings owning both types of vehicles?
1.) Daily "normal" street driving
2.) Sporty / competitive "spirited" street driving
3.) Track
In what way/s is the 1LE better than the Ms? In what is it worse?
Thanks for sharing
Eldi Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 07:48 PM   #6
dotfiles
@SS_1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldi Z View Post
Can you compare the complete experience / share your findings owning both types of vehicles?
3.) Track
Thanks for sharing
I've owned a 2013 M6 and driven a 2016 M4 quite a few times.
1) they are both "stiffer" in the softest setting than the 1LE's mag ride. Big bumps feel harsher. I think that for GT cars, the Ms comfort mode is not soft enough. The harshness is immediately noticeable driving the M4 and 1LE back to back.
2) In sporty street driving I much prefer the 1LE's setup as sport mode feels more forgiving than sport or sport plus in the Ms but at the same time is more responsive with less body roll IMO. Track mode on the 1LE is actually usable on the street because it dynamically softens the suspension for bigger bumps where as sport plus on the Ms is too stiff for anything other than the smoothest road.
3) I don't have much experience with track driving on the 1LE yet but imagine it will be great especially with the addition of the PTM settings available with the 1LE.

Something to keep in mind when test driving is that the 1LE mag ride is tuned differently than the regular SS w/ mag.

Last edited by dotfiles; 07-22-2017 at 09:29 PM.
dotfiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 08:06 PM   #7
JK001

Drives: ZHP, Alfa 4C, RAM, X5, 17SS1LE-sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldi Z View Post
3.) Track
Thanks for sharing
I've owned an e36, e46, e46 zhp, e90 and e60 M cars. To start off, the M cars and the 1LE vastly different. I would classify Ms as a supreme GT car, does everything very well, but nothing specific great. The 1LE is a track focused street legal car that far exceeds its price tag in terms of track numbers. And I say numbers, numbers don't necessarily define a car in my opinion.
1) Daily- any of the above M cars are better in every regard than the 1LE
2) Spirited driving on the street- 1LE takes it, with the exception of streering feedback outdone by the e36, e46, and the zhp
3) Track- no contest, 1LE all day any day

If you are OK with driving a car that is not the fastest, nor best handling for your money, then get an M. If you want an absolute weapon for your 45k( WITH warranty and no need to mod) that will keep significantly more expensive cars at bay, the 1LE is the way to go.

Just my experience, obviously others will defer
JK001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 08:13 PM   #8
Uncle Sam

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE Hyper Blue
The ride is very, very good. I use the Sport setting most of the time and it handles all but the worst potholes well. What JK001 said is on point, the 20 inch wheels and tires are heavy and have very low profile tires and that weight would be hard to control and the tire is not going to damp much due to the low sidewall. I really notice their weight and the computer dealing with that and dealing with that very well.

If you are used to a heavy car like an M6, the Camaro is very well damped for its size. It can't be the same feel as a Miata or Lotus that weighs half a ton or more less.

Excellent suspension Chevrolet!
Uncle Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 01:45 AM   #9
JBones81

Drives: 22 ZL1, 18 RS3, 22 M3P
My 2ss doesnt have it. The 1LE obviously does. I only have 225 miles on the 1LE but I think the ride is much better overall.
Instagram - @JBsCars
JBones81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 09:08 AM   #10
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
I use Touring for DD and it does absorb road imperfections very well. Track mode for track duty.
Steering in Touring mode for both.
I don't use Sport mode at all.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 01:55 PM   #11
JBones81

Drives: 22 ZL1, 18 RS3, 22 M3P
I should also say that my last toy was a 2017 STi - probably the harshest ride available at the moment, so my standards are pretty low
Instagram - @JBsCars
JBones81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 02:14 PM   #12
Dfelux

Drives: 2016 SS Hyper Blue
Honestly it's all preference. I use tour mode most of the time as mine is a DD, backroads get sport mode for more fun (of which I purposely take the long way to/from work to use). Track is too stiff for anything to me on the street
Dfelux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 11:09 AM   #13
JayhawkSS1LE

I use Steering and Suspension in Sport. Provides an overall good feel and ride, at least in my opinion. Mine is not a DD though...if it was I am not sure if I would keep it that way or not (?). I drove for a day around town with Steering and Suspension in Track and it is great but needed to adjust it back after a while for around the town use. Just my preferences. I honestly have not used Touring at all.
JayhawkSS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 12:20 PM   #14
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
I like it. Definitely a noticeable difference between ride modes. Leave it in sport for most road driving. Will occasionally go to track mode if I want to have a little more fun (or if I'm actually on the track) and sometime tour to take out the harshness if I have to go through any rough spots. Definitely worth the cost if you ask me!