Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 06-16-2014, 07:59 PM   #1
HRD_WRK
HARD WORKING PATRIOT

Drives: 2011 CAMARO 2SS RS-AUTO
Resolved

Resolved.
Thanks.

Last edited by HRD_WRK; 06-22-2014 at 12:56 PM.
HRD_WRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 05:26 PM   #2
HRD_WRK
HARD WORKING PATRIOT

Old 06-19-2014, 06:47 PM   #3
Synner

Drives: cars
B, A is too unbalanced.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 06:56 PM   #4
HRD_WRK
HARD WORKING PATRIOT

What effects?
Old 06-19-2014, 07:06 PM   #5
Synner

Well ZL1 brakes is just a waste of money in that setup and it will be very unbalanced during autocross. Just buy good pads for when you autocross.
Old 06-19-2014, 07:15 PM   #6
HRD_WRK
HARD WORKING PATRIOT

Thank you for. Your comments.
If you got the ZL1 brakes for free-same response?

Please ignore costs for now-
Im more interested in performance effects of A
and which A vs B is best.
Old 06-19-2014, 07:24 PM   #7
Synner

You would always be overpowering your front tires and locking them up well before you got max stopping power from your rears. So its possible you may end up stopping slower, not faster unless you ran really unbalanced pads but then you have uneven heat issues. It would increase oversteer and unbalancing the car. Just like everything else brakes need balance to work at their max potential. What wheel and tire sizes will you be using for autocross?

In drag racing it would only add rotational mass with zero braking benefit since they're not needed. So it would make you slower there too unless your plan was to stuff a crazy amount of tire on 15's. But you'd still be turning extra weight for zero reason.
Old 06-19-2014, 07:35 PM   #8
Synner

If anything I'd do SS fronts, v6 rears with slicks and skinnies and good pads. Do the ZL1's fit 17 fronts? The master cylinder won't be as unbalanced that way either and you get the lowest weight. My 2 cents at least.
Old 06-19-2014, 08:14 PM   #9
HRD_WRK
HARD WORKING PATRIOT

Thanks-this is the kind of feed back im looking for.
I have learned from some of your comments, agree with some but not all (drag racing side).
I do understand adding the ZL1 front and keeping the back SS would be better than option A-but not the inquiry.

I would add to the conversation-staying on topic(leaving Drag out):

Is it not true that most of the stopping power is the responsibility of the front brakes?

Can the best pads be added to the rear V6 brakes to make them closer to match the SS (and ZL1-since they are the same in back as SS)?

Last edited by HRD_WRK; 06-19-2014 at 08:42 PM.
Old 06-19-2014, 08:48 PM   #10
HRD_WRK
HARD WORKING PATRIOT

I believe there is a consensus that larger rear tires causes additional understeer.

Would less rear speed reduction from option A reduce understeer?

Thanks
Old 06-20-2014, 03:51 PM   #11
Synner

You disagree with unknown portions of my advice for unknowns reasons so you don't want to talk about it anymore.

And your solution would be to use tires to create a car that handles like crap in turns to overcome an unsettled car with bad brake bias in braking zones due to an intentionally poor parts choice? Sometimes someone isn't asking the right questions hence advice is given.
Old 06-20-2014, 04:16 PM   #12
HRD_WRK
HARD WORKING PATRIOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
You disagree with unknown portions of my advice for unknowns reasons so you don't want to talk about it anymore.

And your solution would be to use tires to create a car that handles like crap in turns to overcome an unsettled car with bad brake bias in braking zones due to an intentionally poor parts choice? Sometimes someone isn't asking the right questions hence advice is given.
I dont think I deserved that. Those that know me here understand that I only create threads when I am at a loss and need help. I have helped many without drama (my post count not reflects my hours of support).
I am just trying to stay on topic without writing a novel of all my reasoning for the parts Ive choosen for My car's purpose-as directed by several experts.
You were also diving into the drag side of things, which I was not inquiring about and I have no desire to argue about that side of things-not why I started the thread.

The inquiry is straight forward and the deviation from setup B to A would yield identifiable results. Im just looking for those results, weighing them in the big picture of my car's use.

I Thank you for you time and input.

I am truly interested in the help

Last edited by HRD_WRK; 06-20-2014 at 04:45 PM. Reason: help
Old 06-20-2014, 04:34 PM   #13
TBone
Negative Camber Junkie

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3/6MN ABM 1 of 23
Tim,

The stock SS front brakes are quite capable and if you are not doing road course then you really do not need the ZL1 calipers. Don't believe me and Synner.... Check out what JP said to a road course guy about the SS calipers...
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=361444

Just choose the right pads, NOT OEM, and you can do quite well in AutoX.

BTW, good pads squeal, dust, etc. No way around it.

T.
I can't wait for my next
Track fix.
DA HAWKS OWN DA CUP!!!!!
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 04:42 PM   #14
Synner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRD_WRK View Post
I dont think I deserved that. Those that know me here understand that I only create threads when I am at a loss and need help. I have helped many without drama (my post count not reflects my hours of support).
I am just trying to stay on topic without writing a novel of all my reasoning for the parts Ive choosen for My car's purpose-as directed by several experts.
You were also diving into the drag side of things, which I was not inquiring about and I have no desire to argue about that side of things-not why I started the thread.

The inquiry is straight forward and the deviation from setup B to A would yield identifiable results. Im just looking for those results, weighing them in the big picture of my car's use.

I Thank you for you time and input.

I am truly interested in the
I answered A vs B, and offered up a more ideal option C for a multi-use vehicle, and gave justifications in my 1-3 posts but it wasn't the answer you wanted so you keep trying to justify your choice that you seem biased towards. You want advice on an all around solution but refuse to talk about 1 after stating I'm wrong for unknown reasons so I need to stop talking about it (although you later edited that out). How do I help you when you don't answer questions and want a 1 sided conversation? If I must quantify my suggestions then don't you think you should quantify why you disagree?

Last edited by Synner; 06-20-2014 at 05:19 PM.