Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 08-05-2014, 09:25 PM   #15
HRD_WRK
HARD WORKING PATRIOT

Drives: 2011 CAMARO 2SS RS-AUTO
Replies on below.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
If its actually a fluid problem then its already failed and must be swapped out anyways.
Re- wasnt sure if it overheated or just aerated. It worked itself out last year after same rough course. I describe it above. Was very hard on the tires and Gs were high-hard to hold on. Speeds 50-75. Actually pulled my stock belt out of the magnet strap retainer first time ever.
it was a controlled scary blast.

This is from autocross alone? Road racing is far more stressful on the fluid and I haven't had an issue. It got hot as hell and barfed some out once but thats it. How many miles on the car? When was the last fluid change?
Re-10k miles. Still stock fluid-not dark fluid. Just this specific event two years in a row

What wheels/tires are being run up front?
Re-Stock till new ones. -1.5 camber.
Have you put a thermometer in the fluid? Re- no-am interested in adding one.
Its possible something is expanding due to heat and allowing air in somewhere. Have you inspected for leaks? Re- Yes -none found and fluid is as always has been right at the line on the cap's stick.

Something to consider, although their prices seem to have gone up a bunch.
http://www.turnone-steering.com/5th-...Pump_p_17.html
Attached Images

Old 08-05-2014, 10:31 PM   #16
BLTZKRG

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
Give Royal Purple a try. I dont know a viscosity level for it though. Had good luck with it in my 2004 SVT Cobra. And several other road race mustangs o er the years.

CAGS Skip-Shift Eliminator
1LE Strut Tower Brace
GMPP Track Pack Axleback
Halltech CAI
Fuse Pull Mod
BLTZKRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 02:40 PM   #17
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRD_WRK View Post
Yesterday-Cycled steering right/left on blocks with car running and strong vacuum for about an hour. No issues felt this time on blocks like last year.
Left vacuum on all night till after work today. Fluid level still normal.
Backed car out after work. Vibration as bad as saturday under weighted load.drove around declined streets in neutral turning steering wheel. Seemed less stutter occurred at higher rpm. Went to some parking lots and did alot of turning. It worked most of it out but everything was Hot. Not sure why the load is needed to help resolve.
Not sure if it is only an aeration problem-could be pump although its not any noisier. Last year at same event I was able to work it out on the blocks. I ran the same course a week before but didn't have bk to bk paired runs -14 total. Oil an water temps were actually lower than prior week (data logged them all).
What I find interesting is the violent stutter doesnt show up until after the car has sat for awhile after the race -both times a week before I drove it again and it was instantly apparent backing out of driveway.its most likely that the small bubbles have had enough time to gather and settle as bigger pockets of air and that's why the shaking is so violent later on and not noticeable at the event. Its never done it on 'normal' autox. This was mostly just 2 ovals (tight 1/4&1/2mile) bk to back at high speeds/Gs for 45 seconds with a high speed slalom.
I'll change back to stock wheels and find some big lots to work it out more. If it doesn't disappear this time, I'll change the fluid to better stuff. If that doesn't work ill be changing the pump.
Ill certainly be upgrading fluid before next year regardless.

Thanks for the detailed responses.

Id still be interested in hearing if others who race far more than me have had problems or upgraded
I think i might fall into your track and w2w. I am stock pump stock fluid stock steering until you get into suspension. Tracks here are all in desert... 150 degree + pavement 115 degree ambient etc. tight courses big courses gokart courses etc.

Reading your predicament and I am kind of surprised. I have beat the piss out of my car and my fluid and power steering system has never even wimpered. I am not saying the fluid didnt get aerated but the pump might need a look see either way bud...
Old 08-13-2014, 03:33 PM   #18
HRD_WRK
HARD WORKING PATRIOT

Thanks for your comments.
It certainly seems odd , I agree.
I have gone twice now to an open lot after driveway warm-up an did continuous S Curve driving at slow idle. I even rotated wheels right/left within each turn. I have had a strong vacuum on it in the garage for two sets of three days in between the lot drills.
The stutter is mostly gone at this point-at least public streetable now.
I have been looking at shops for decent fluid upgrade and have so far found:
RPM MAX EZ Steering fluid
and
Castrol Transmax Dexron VI
still looking.
Perhaps the pump IS damaged, not sure why it would come back fully last time and this time I suspect it will. My service manager suspects(site unseen) the aeration.

I'll for sure get the fluid changed later this fall.

Tim
Old 08-13-2014, 08:07 PM   #19
1977and2010
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

Drives: 1977 Z28, 2SSRS 2010 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRD_WRK View Post
Thanks for your comments.
It certainly seems odd , I agree.
I have gone twice now to an open lot after driveway warm-up an did continuous S Curve driving at slow idle. I even rotated wheels right/left within each turn. I have had a strong vacuum on it in the garage for two sets of three days in between the lot drills.
The stutter is mostly gone at this point-at least public streetable now.
I have been looking at shops for decent fluid upgrade and have so far found:
RPM MAX EZ Steering fluid
and
Castrol Transmax Dexron VI
still looking.
Perhaps the pump IS damaged, not sure why it would come back fully last time and this time I suspect it will. My service manager suspects(site unseen) the aeration.

I'll for sure get the fluid changed later this fall.

Tim
I'm having a similar issue. Mine started after my car slipped off the floor jack and bent and kinked the short hard line on the front of the rack. I took that line off and tried to duplicate it myself. My line looked dam identical to the bent one but would not seal. So I bit the bullet and bought an entirely new rack for that one stupid line. My issue now is that I can't seem to get all the air out. I've put it on stands and turned back and forth many cycles then drove around and it has gotten better but every so often the steering gets very hard and then studders and then seems to get better and then it happens again. If I run the fluid level way above full it's tolerable but if I pull some fluid out to the actual normal range it has no power assist and whines badly. How are you sealing the lid to pull a vacuum on it. I want to try this but don't know how to get a seal.
I was using the Royal Purple fluid prior to this and it was working great btw with many HPDE and autocross days.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:00 PM   #20
HRD_WRK
HARD WORKING PATRIOT

Sir,
Sorry for your troubles-you've had it much worse than I.

The dealership instructed me to purchase a power steering pump cap adapter and a Mityvac-see pics. Apply 15 " lbs.

I of course was not sure it was my solution and so as normal I made my own vacuum from an old drill sanding rubber wheel cut to fit and my boat motor oil drain pump.

The first time it happened to me the stutter wouldnt happen to me unless the pump was running.
this time it didn't stutter on jacks whole running but I tried running the car with front on jacks and the vacuum on but it didn't help . If you get the right parts, perhaps you could place the vacuum on the pump while driving carefully in a big lot to work it out more.
I really am no expert, still learning and listening.

Good luck.
Attached Images

Old 08-13-2014, 11:30 PM   #21
1977and2010
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

Drives: 1977 Z28, 2SSRS 2010 M6
Thanks for the info. Looks like I'll be adding another tool to the arsenal.
Old 08-14-2014, 01:08 AM   #22
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Redline PS Fluid
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 07:05 AM   #23
z28lt1

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by L99CAMA2011 View Post
Redline PS Fluid
M 4th gen Camaro would toast the PS fluid on the track. Redline helped a good deal and is worth trying, but I would still get it over-heated, just took a lot longer to do it.
z28lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote