Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-30-2018, 12:57 PM   #57
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by avalonandl View Post
62 and I live in mich- my insurance is about $ 900 for 6 months.... and thats damn good. ZL1- oh boy the cost was about 40 a month more.

My 2 cents is a SS with a 6sp manual is PLENTY fast. Michigan roads are so bad the extra power is mostly wasted.
Yeah, Troy vs Detroit (again, not gonna get political ) + 2 under 21 in the household. I would jump at $900 for 6 months. As I type this there is a commercial on TV for a lawyer that promises to get you "paid for pain", even in a single car accident where you are at fault...W....T...F???? Even has his own jingle.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 03:52 AM   #58
TEST DRyVer

Drives: 17 ZL1 6mt with PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Michigan is a whole new world wrt insurance. Since OP is in Michigan, I think it is relevant. It is the worst state in the country for car insurance. Not going to get political, because this isn't the site for that, but just know that in Michigan you MUST be covered for unlimited medical claims. It is a heyday for ambulance chasers. I am 56, clean record, BUT....I have 2 under 21 in my household. My 6 month bill on the SS convertible is $2k with specific exclusions that nobody under 25 can drive it without me in it. The other cars were beyond ridiculous. A lot of energy to change the rule, which ONLY exists in Michigan, but insurance lobbyists are kicking ass in Lansing. Sorry....said I wasn't gonna get political.
I spent 10 years of my life in the Detroit Metro area (Around Farmington Hills). Insurance was extremely expensive! I was younger at the time, and after a few tickets (remember when you were 21-23 years old?), my insurance payment was WELL above my new car payment.
Now, I'm 42 and live in AZ. I called my insurance broker a few days ago to get a quote on 2SS 1LE and ZL1. The SS 1LE came in at $1200 a year (same as my 18 Porsche Cayman), and the ZL1 came in at $1700 a year (also a fairly clean record). It's not a huge difference, but between the additional insurance and fuel cost (I average over 20k miles a year), the ZL1 is looking less appealing... The part that makes me personally still consider the ZL1 is the fact that 650hp will likely keep me from dumping money in modifications. On a ZL1, I would simply switch out the wheels and spoiler. On an SS 1LE, I'm not sure what I'll modify, but it could get expensive. The 2SS 1LE wouldn't need any esthetic modifications in my opinion, but I would likely get down and dirty with performance modifications...

Esthetics: Nardo Grey wrap with original black accents throughout, complete Xpel ceramic coat, Diode Dynamics markers, Smoked GM tail & 3rd brake light, C7 Carbon 1LE style Spoiler in blk, ACS splash guards, blk'd out emblems. Variant Krypton wheels in Gloss black.

Performance: AWE Touring catback exhaust with resonator, Rotofab dry intake, TM throttle body, Kooks 1 7/8 Headers with Green Cats, Advanced Fuel Dynamics Flex Fuel kit with e50 blend and dyno tuned.

Current Family car (for the wifey): 2021 Audi SQ5
TEST DRyVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 06:00 AM   #59
F419sr1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEST DRyVer View Post
I spent 10 years of my life in the Detroit Metro area (Around Farmington Hills). Insurance was extremely expensive! I was younger at the time, and after a few tickets (remember when you were 21-23 years old?), my insurance payment was WELL above my new car payment.
Now, I'm 42 and live in AZ. I called my insurance broker a few days ago to get a quote on 2SS 1LE and ZL1. The SS 1LE came in at $1200 a year (same as my 18 Porsche Cayman), and the ZL1 came in at $1700 a year (also a fairly clean record). It's not a huge difference, but between the additional insurance and fuel cost (I average over 20k miles a year), the ZL1 is looking less appealing... The part that makes me personally still consider the ZL1 is the fact that 650hp will likely keep me from dumping money in modifications. On a ZL1, I would simply switch out the wheels and spoiler. On an SS 1LE, I'm not sure what I'll modify, but it could get expensive. The 2SS 1LE wouldn't need any esthetic modifications in my opinion, but I would likely get down and dirty with performance modifications...
I still modded my Zl1 😁
Old 05-15-2019, 07:43 AM   #60
Subcool

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
Michigan insurance rates make me consider selling my zl1 and buying a bicycle.......
Subcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 08:21 AM   #61
Lafourche1

Drives: 2019 CLA 450 Mercedes
I'll not enter into the insurance debate. It will be expensive, either way.

I owned a 2016 - 2SS 6M and I now own a 2018 ZL1 A10. I even owned them both at the same time for a few weeks. I tracked both and I have taken long road trips in both. They are both fantastic cars.

My divide came down to the fact that I knew the ZL1 was out there. I just wanted a ZL1. Your decision should be: Will the SS be enough for you? Don't take it as the SS isn't a great car. It surely is. It isn't a ZL1.
Lafourche1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 01:12 PM   #62
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Owned both M6 2SS but my ZL1 is A10. If you decide on the Z the A10 is the better choice. It is different than the A10 on the SS.

Really the Z is too fast for using any more than 3/4 throttle on the street unless you run DRs or Toyo R888Rs on the back.

The SS M6 is just fast and fun and makes much more sense, especially buying used.

Both cars new will take huge depreciation hits as you drive off the lot. With the Z it is a crazy drop. I am stepping in to gauge selling my 1 year old 8K mile Z that listed for close to $70K. But what I know now I would have to sell it for $50K or less to move it. No thanks. I would be thrilled to go back in time and keep my '16 M6 2SS. Life is for learning. Used Zs are a bargain in my view and tons of fun. But it is more of a toy than a car like the SS.

Remember the story of the 3 bears...... The SS is just the right amount of warmth.

PM me if you have any more questions. I may step on more toes here.
Old 05-15-2019, 01:21 PM   #63
RyanR623

Drives: SS A8, NPP, Red Hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subcool View Post
Michigan insurance rates make me consider selling my zl1 and buying a bicycle.......
I can see the Michigan line from where I'm sitting and my insurance is $60 a month full coverage. Step over that line and it'll probably double. Is it still a no fault state?
RyanR623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 01:27 PM   #64
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR623 View Post
I can see the Michigan line from where I'm sitting and my insurance is $60 a month full coverage. Step over that line and it'll probably double. Is it still a no fault state?
I hate you.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Old 05-15-2019, 01:40 PM   #65
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
I reply as of my latest purchase of a used low mileage 2017 ZL1 having owned a 2016 2SS M6 and there is a big difference in hp(200 more) and the way the Z handles as compared to the SS. It’s a whole different Camaro IMO as it should be, N/A vs Supercharged. I have noticed that driving the Z in town/traffic is like my old SS but when you punch it that S/C kicks in you better be ready to run fast because it’s going! My advice is to get an M6 if that’s what you want because you will be happy with it. I could care less in my case that the A10 is quicker as I like to shift gears and be in control of my ZL1. I suggest a coupe without a sunroof but you get what makes you happy. You can’t lose with either a Z or SS IMHO!
Old 05-15-2019, 02:21 PM   #66
pauly1119

Drives: 2018 ZLE
I had a Gen5 SS/RS with engine work making over 500HP really nice car fun to drive. I sold that and a C6 Grand Sport to buy a ZLE. You can’t compare either one of them to the ZLE. It’s really in a league of its own. It’s a real muscle car that drives like a super car. Especially since this will not be your primary transportation I would go for it. Very glad I did. I usually buy a couple year old Camaro or Vettes and enjoy them for a year or so and move on to another one, but honestly I can see myself keeping this one.
pauly1119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 02:23 PM   #67
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR623 View Post
I'm at $74.33 per month to insure a 2SS M6 as a daily driver with full coverage.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 02:28 PM   #68
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
Owned both M6 2SS but my ZL1 is A10. If you decide on the Z the A10 is the better choice. It is different than the A10 on the SS.

Really the Z is too fast for using any more than 3/4 throttle on the street unless you run DRs or Toyo R888Rs on the back.

The SS M6 is just fast and fun and makes much more sense, especially buying used.

Both cars new will take huge depreciation hits as you drive off the lot. With the Z it is a crazy drop. I am stepping in to gauge selling my 1 year old 8K mile Z that listed for close to $70K. But what I know now I would have to sell it for $50K or less to move it. No thanks. I would be thrilled to go back in time and keep my '16 M6 2SS. Life is for learning. Used Zs are a bargain in my view and tons of fun. But it is more of a toy than a car like the SS.

Remember the story of the 3 bears...... The SS is just the right amount of warmth.

PM me if you have any more questions. I may step on more toes here.
I came to this conclusion when I sold my 13 ZL1 to move into a gen6. A supercharged car with massive tires and brakes is overkill for a driver. Operating cost vs ability to use it. Even the SS is difficult to fully exploit on the street but you can get much closer.

It was a similar decision going from an A8 back to a M6. The A8 is faster, and fun, but the M6 can be driven harder without being insane on the street.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 02:28 PM   #69
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Think I saw a milk carton with the OP’s profile on it. Just sayin’....

Old 05-15-2019, 02:31 PM   #70
RyanR623

Drives: SS A8, NPP, Red Hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
I hate you.
Ha ha come on over to OH, we'd love to have ya! But in seriousness, even though Ohio is indeed cheaper, and Wisconsin as well based on Hotlaps reply.... I have been with progressive for over 15 years. So I am at their highest reward and discount level. So I'm sure that factors in as well.

Funny thing is, my previous car was a WRX. The insurance was $8 more a month than my Camaro which has 2 less doors and almost 200hp more. Still trying to figure that one out
RyanR623 is offline   Reply With Quote