#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-10-2023, 10:29 PM   #1
Wuiquen

Drives: 2018 Hot Red ZL1
2013 Sonic issues

Hey all,

Maybe someone here can help me troubleshoot my issues.

have a 2013 Sonic LT auto with 117K. Today I had a bunch of Oil leak from my oil filter cap. Removed it and torque it to the right spec. No oil leak. Tool the car for a drive. 70 to 80 mph freeway driving. 20 minutes into it, the car drops out of gear, I can't accelerate and actually I think the engine simple quits. I had enough momentum to safety exit on an on-ramp.
When the car dropped out of gear, it sounded like metal pop/missed gear. Pull over. No CEL or any other light on. Shut off the car, tried to turn it back on, it cranked and cracked, no engine start. Did that for like 3 times. Stop. Connected my OBDII and scan with TorquePro. No codes at all. Reset the ECU for Codes any way. Tried to start again, no luck. Call for a tow truck. ETA 20 mins. Tried turning the engine on again, and it started no problem.

Figured I would wait for the tow driver just in case. I drop the car forward and backwards a bit with no problem. Tow driver tested my battery and alternator, all good. Drove back one about 20 miles, no issues at all.

Yesterday, it happened again. I was driving about 20 mph. Saw the RPMs drop to 0. Transmission drop out of gear. No CEL or any other dash lights at all. Was able to safety pulled over. Connected my Torque App and scan for codes. No codes. Clear the ECU. Tried to start the car, no luck. The car cranked but didn't fully started. Let it rest for about 5 mins. Tried turning the engine over, no luck. 2 more mins, the car started no problem. Drove away without any issues.

I need to figure out what the problem is. With no CEL, I don't know where to look.

I am leaning towards a fuel starvation problem. Will bad Injectors cause this behavior? I have replaced the fuel pump about 2 years ago and over 20k miles.