#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro Convertible

Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-10-2020, 08:21 PM   #15
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staves View Post
No, haven’t. I just would never own a vert. My g/f had one. Riding around with the sun roasting me was never fun. At night was better. But I would much rather have less weight, better handling chassis when it comes to the Camaro of the coupe.
I guess not wanting to roast is a good reason (although the top does provide cover from that nasty sunshine

What I appreciate the most and sold me on the vert, is the field of vision. I don’t think I’d want a hard top Camaro after owning the vert. But, to each his or her own liking.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 08:38 PM   #16
Staves

Drives: women crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
I guess not wanting to roast is a good reason (although the top does provide cover from that nasty sunshine

What I appreciate the most and sold me on the vert, is the field of vision. I don’t think I’d want a hard top Camaro after owning the vert. But, to each his or her own liking.
Vert adds around 250lbs+ and is closing in on 4k lbs. No chance for me.
Old 12-10-2020, 09:47 PM   #17
TP2SS

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Greetings from a fellow Hyper Blue SS Vert owner!

While I can't comment on your dilemma (I'd stick with the vert b/c I don't track and it's a summer fun car), I can recommend some great little-known Sonoma wineries...

De la Montanya (actually west of the 101 outside of Windsor on Westside Rd). Awesome place with awesome wines and super friendly staff!

Matanzas Creek. Their "Journey" series are incredible!

Porter Creek (also on Westside Rd). Small but some really great reds.

Flanagan (also on Westside Rd). Very exclusive, you need an appt to visit/taste, but incredible wines and a view to match!

Wish I could drive my SS out there but I'm in MI...not worth the miles and planes are faster!
Magnetic Ride Control
Dual Mode Exhaust
2019+ version Split Spoke Silver Wheels
Navigation
Silver Rally Stripes
TP2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 10:32 PM   #18
Nitefall17

Drives: Camaro 1SS A8 Vert
I like my vert with 1LE wheels and tires. Rides so much better with the wider tires.
Attached Images

Nitefall17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 09:03 AM   #19
c4racer

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
Gotta love the 71!! Only you know what’s best for you, so I’m not going to try and change your mind one way or the other.

Oh and I love the wheels on the 6th Gen, they look sharp.I probably would keep my 1SS and added larger wheels / sticker tires and been done with it. But with the whole A8 debacle, I just through in the towel.

I’ve had the Z for a while, I found that there’s a couple combination pros and cons : The power is awesome, but can’t use it for more than a few seconds at a time. Even then, your at lock me up speeds in a few seconds. The seats are great while sitting in them. But getting in and out without scratching up the bolsters is a challenge( and to look cool while doing it) especially with the top up or in tight spaces. I’m 5’10” in shape and flexible. (Stepping over the plastic aero adds to the hassle) The micro suede seats, steering, wheel, shift knob and door panels are now a maintenance items. The freakin brakes, forget about the dust! The pads are getting changed in the spring.

I guess what I’m saying is I wanted the Z just like you want the 1LE. But practically speaking, for me - a 1SS, non mag ride ,10 speed, cloth seat vert may have been a better choice.

Good luck with whatever you decide, I really don’t think there’s a wrong a answer.
Thanks - good input. I have a buddy that had a ZL1 vert A10 - he found the same thing as you - the car had such silly power you just couldn't use much of it on the street. I feel the same with my 71. The SS is fast but it's not brutally fast - so you can lay into it a bit longer here and there. My buddy swapped the ZL1 for a M3 convertible manual and he loves it. Very different motor - that is a 8K RPM redline F1 inspired V8 that literally makes no power below 4500rpm - likes to be 5-8K. I have the V10 version of that engine in my M5, also with a manual 6 speed.

And ya - I already have the 6 speed in the 1SS vert, so all good there. I do have that same A8 in my Colorado, but it hasn't been a problem yet anyway. I'm watching it and if I feel the shudder it's going in for a fluid swap. The trans has really worked great so far - I had the same truck but 2016 with the A6 and the trans really transforms it.
c4racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 09:09 AM   #20
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
... trade up for a ZL1 vert.
I second that emotion!

Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 09:09 AM   #21
c4racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TP2SS View Post
Greetings from a fellow Hyper Blue SS Vert owner!

While I can't comment on your dilemma (I'd stick with the vert b/c I don't track and it's a summer fun car), I can recommend some great little-known Sonoma wineries...

De la Montanya (actually west of the 101 outside of Windsor on Westside Rd). Awesome place with awesome wines and super friendly staff!

Matanzas Creek. Their "Journey" series are incredible!

Porter Creek (also on Westside Rd). Small but some really great reds.

Flanagan (also on Westside Rd). Very exclusive, you need an appt to visit/taste, but incredible wines and a view to match!

Wish I could drive my SS out there but I'm in MI...not worth the miles and planes are faster!
Nice car! my car's twin. You know it's funny - that is our go-to area, Dry Creek and Russian River valleys - I like the reds anything from Pinot to Syrah and my wife is a big Souv Blanc and Rose fan and so that area fits the bill. Those roads are tremendous in a convertible too when the weather is right. Even when it's not - we've been up there 90 degrees, top down - it's still excellent. Camaro is just big enough to handle a weekend trip complete with a small cooler and grocery bag with snacks and leaving room for 1 case and a few 4 pack boxes - tight fit, but it works.

Thanks for the suggestions - I will put those in my Sonoma notes on my phone and go check them out at some point.
Old 12-11-2020, 09:15 AM   #22
c4racer

Quote:
Vert adds around 250lbs+ and is closing in on 4k lbs. No chance for me.
Either way these things are no lightweights. 2SS options probably add half of that 250. The ZL1 coupe is easily as heavy as a 1SS vert. Anyway - that's splitting hairs on a car like this IMO. It's never going to be a C6, but the chassis is so well done it still handles like one. My 71 is under 3400.

Funny story - what got me thinking about the coupe, my wife was in the market for a new car - I tried to steer her into a BMW 3 or 4 vert thinking that could be our summer road trip car and then I could get a coupe. But she didn't like those and we ended up at the Mazda dealer and we were almost swayed by the new Miata. But in the end it was just too small and light and spartan. Those are truly tin cans - they weigh about 2400lbs. Not that we could have ever used one of those for road trips anyway. At most for a day trip to the beach. She ended up with the latest Mazda3 instead - our 3rd one each a different generation and those cars have made nice progression over the years, the latest is a very nice car - better than the current crop of BMW's in my view.
Old 12-11-2020, 09:49 AM   #23
c4racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
I second that emotion!

There aren't many at least w/ 6 speed. Handful nationally. There is a red-hot in FL 2018 with 2K miles for $59K. But that's close to double what my car is worth - not so sure it's worth $30K to go from my car to a ZL1. I would do the upgrade for half that, but $30K - jeez.

I mean - once you get into $60K territory it becomes what else could I get. Quick search shows a 2LT 2020 Corvette would be about $70K if they sell it for MSRP. Maybe they won't now, but a year from now I bet they would. Lot more value there for about the same price.
Old 12-11-2020, 10:39 AM   #24
VT-1LE

Drives: 2020 2SS 1LE Satin Steel Metallic
C4,

Both of your Camaros are very nice looking. I think you should drive some 1LEs and see if you really like them better than your vert. You already have a track car and you said you would probably only take a 1LE out a few times. After driving some, if you don’t say to yourself this is soooo much nicer a gotta have one, then I’d stick to the upgrades you spoke of. The Recaro seats are very comfortable. Could you buy some used in your area? I like your idea of re-upholstering with blue suede inverts. It would look really good if you got Recaros and re-upholstered them and the rear seats with the blue suede inserts. That would be very unique.

If I had more than just one fun car I’d probably have a convertible. But living in Vermont I wouldn’t drive a fun car year round and have barely enough room to store one. My wife thought I should have gotten a convertible but it was the 2SS 1LE for me.
VT-1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 10:46 AM   #25
VT-1LE

Drives: 2020 2SS 1LE Satin Steel Metallic
Limited storage

Name:  EAF3AA87-A105-49FF-80B1-FAC667B015C6.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  145.7 KB

My wife let me use her spot for the winter but only until I get the tractor put back together. Then the car will go on the left side and her Tahoe on the right.
VT-1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 11:34 AM   #26
Staves

Quote:
Originally Posted by c4racer View Post
Either way these things are no lightweights. 2SS options probably add half of that 250. The ZL1 coupe is easily as heavy as a 1SS vert. Anyway - that's splitting hairs on a car like this IMO. It's never going to be a C6, but the chassis is so well done it still handles like one. My 71 is under 3400.

Funny story - what got me thinking about the coupe, my wife was in the market for a new car - I tried to steer her into a BMW 3 or 4 vert thinking that could be our summer road trip car and then I could get a coupe. But she didn't like those and we ended up at the Mazda dealer and we were almost swayed by the new Miata. But in the end it was just too small and light and spartan. Those are truly tin cans - they weigh about 2400lbs. Not that we could have ever used one of those for road trips anyway. At most for a day trip to the beach. She ended up with the latest Mazda3 instead - our 3rd one each a different generation and those cars have made nice progression over the years, the latest is a very nice car - better than the current crop of BMW's in my view.
A10 ZL1 coupe weighs about 50lbs more
Manual weighs about 40lbs less than SS vert.

Love Mazda. Had 3 Protégés and loved them all.
Old 12-11-2020, 11:38 AM   #27
c4racer

Ya we had a Protege5 first - 2003, drove that one to 190K miles until our daughter wrecked it which essentially totaled it. Ended up getting a temporary 2002 for 6 months and then bought a new 2015 and now a new 2021 - all hatchbacks.

Untitled by C4RACER, on Flickr
Old 12-11-2020, 11:48 AM   #28
Staves

Quote:
Originally Posted by c4racer View Post
Ya we had a Protege5 first - 2003, drove that one to 190K miles until our daughter wrecked it which essentially totaled it. Ended up getting a temporary 2002 for 6 months and then bought a new 2015 and now a new 2021 - all hatchbacks.

Untitled by C4RACER, on Flickr
Protege5 was great. We bought one for my ex.
Had a ‘93 DX manual, 97, ‘04 ES manual. The new 3 looks awesome.