Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro Convertible

Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-21-2017, 05:14 PM   #1
SS_Malibu

Drives: 2017 Artic Blue Metallic RS Vert
Dash cam hard wire

I’m sorry to bother, but I searched and didn’t see a thread about this. Has anyone had a dashcam hardwired in their vert? If so was it a big deal?
SS_Malibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 10:07 PM   #2
CyberGuyPR

Drives: '16 vert 2LT RS NPP
My install: http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=484922
CyberGuyPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 10:25 PM   #3
Walkure

Drives: '17 ZL1 A10 Vert
I have a Thinkware F800 hardwired into my ZL1.
No issues.
I didn't do it myself because that's outside my ability, so I spent $50 for my local Bestbuy to install it and they did it perfect.
Walkure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 11:50 AM   #4
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
If you don't want to cut wires, but require a clean looking install, you can run the wire to the center console (I drilled a very small hole and installed a grommet) and power it via the USB port. There's a few modules / relays under the console, so if you decide to go this route make sure you unscrew the retaining screws on the back sides of the console and lift up so you can view where you can drill.
Attached Images

Last edited by Chutzpah; 12-24-2017 at 12:01 PM.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 01:15 PM   #5
GroundhogSS

Drives: '17 2SS convertible'20 Yukon Denali
I got one of these harnesses. Just select the option for two additional leads for hot and ground. I haven't got it installed yet but other people on the forum have used them.

http://www.gen5diy.com/Gen6-Camaro-R...rness-220300/?

Delivered: 08/15/2016

#TeamBeckyD

GroundhogSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 09:59 AM   #6
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Since I also had a rear camera installed, I had the shop that crafted my mounting bracket do the whole install. They hardwired to the rear fusebox and ran wire to the front camera and then from front camera to rear. All very well hidden.

I sometimes forget I have cameras until I hit a bump large enough to make the impact sensor in my front camera beep. If I had done the install myself, I would have hardwired to the underhood fusebox.
Attached Images

A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 02:53 PM   #7
MANNAXMAN

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
If I had done the install myself, I would have hardwired to the underhood fusebox.
I just purchased and received the Thinkware Q800PRO (front cam only). I'm probably going to hardwire it to the fuse box under the hood, but I'm curious why you would choose to wire it the fuse box under the hood versus the one in the trunk. It might be harder to wire to the trunk, but I'm guessing it's easier to hide the wires?
1961 Volkswagen Beetle with Sliding Ragtop Sunroof (2009-Present)
1964 Volkswagen Beetle with aftermarket Sliding Ragtop Sunroof (Sold)
Follow me on Instagram - @gen6_2ss_vert
MANNAXMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 04:51 PM   #8
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by MANNAXMAN View Post
I just purchased and received the Thinkware Q800PRO (front cam only). I'm probably going to hardwire it to the fuse box under the hood, but I'm curious why you would choose to wire it the fuse box under the hood versus the one in the trunk. It might be harder to wire to the trunk, but I'm guessing it's easier to hide the wires?
Just because under the hood would have been less wire length and arguably simpler to install. A little more work to hide the wires, but not that big a deal.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 08:16 PM   #9
joekd

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS vert
Mine is hard wired using a OBD adapter, even with a OBD splitter it was still cheaper then the gen5 kit and easier to install, I just removed the two screws behind the visors, ran wire through there, behind pillar and down, was beyond easy to do
joekd is offline   Reply With Quote