Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-27-2021, 03:33 PM   #15
Dave777

Drives: 1985 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorsoDuroJohn View Post
I tried both, too much body roll in the Mustang GT for me. Stock for stock they are so close on power. Mustang has more "space", but so does my SUV.
Went with the LT1 in black, had the cloth swapped for heated leather in red, already had the RS package sitting on the lot, larger display and bose sound. Added a splitter and a spoiler, 305/285 1LE size wheels and she rips great. Also, WAY too many mustangs on the road..
Very nice combo.

Love the wheels. What brand wheels / offset ?
Dave777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 11:45 PM   #16
paradigm

Drives: 2022 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Thanks for all the good input guys. I owned several mustangs in the past (a 2011 5.0 6pseed and a 2000 5-speed GT) as well as an Fbody LS1 6 speed Camaro.

At this point I am leaning towards the Camaro - my major concern is the visbility. I have driven both cars back-to-back, and I am torn on which to get. Ultimately this car will be a weekend cruiser.

Now, should I be looking to upgrade to a 1SS for an additional $2700 over the LT1? I see no real benefits other than additional coolers, wider rear wheels, nicer (subjective) front facia, better instrument cluster.

Are there any "must have" options you guys would consider? Active exhaust? 8" screen / bose? Recaros maybe?
paradigm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 07:55 AM   #17
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradigm View Post
Thanks for all the good input guys. I owned several mustangs in the past (a 2011 5.0 6pseed and a 2000 5-speed GT) as well as an Fbody LS1 6 speed Camaro.

At this point I am leaning towards the Camaro - my major concern is the visbility. I have driven both cars back-to-back, and I am torn on which to get. Ultimately this car will be a weekend cruiser.
As discussed above, this concern will likely go away in 10 minutes once you test drive the car, especially given your history with muscle cars. Set the side mirrors correctly on your test drive, then if you're still worried about rear visbility, get the rear view camera mirror option.

Quote:
Now, should I be looking to upgrade to a 1SS for an additional $2700 over the LT1? I see no real benefits other than additional coolers, wider rear wheels, nicer (subjective) front facia, better instrument cluster.

Are there any "must have" options you guys would consider? Active exhaust? 8" screen / bose? Recaros maybe?
Nobody else can decide what's important for you. The base cluster is a dealbreaker for many, for example, some say the safety features (blind spot monitoring, rear object sensors, rear cross movement detection) are an absoute must, some require the Bose and the larger infotainment screen as a minimum, others swear on magnetic ride control, yet others will not go without the dual mode exhaust...

As for me, I bought the 2SS back then because it had all of these, and if the 1LE package came with an automatic trans back in 2018, I would've added that as well. It's been great to see the car grow in power in discrete steps (rather than just getting a ZL1 and leaving it stock)—this is my forever Camaro.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 11:27 AM   #18
DorsoDuroJohn

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave777 View Post
Very nice combo.

Love the wheels. What brand wheels / offset ?
APPLICATION: 2021Camaro LT1 from one of the sponsors on here FORGEDWHEELSOURCE (Jonny)
ForgeStar CF-5V Custom Made Rotary Forged Bronze
2- CF-5V 20x9.5 Deep CM/CF
2- CF-5V 20x11 Deep CM/CF
4- CF [Standard Finish]
4- CM [Custom Machined] 5x120/72~66.9/+23 ~+43
2- Front Tires 285/30-20 [Please see options below]
2- Rear Tires 305/30-20 [Please see options below]
4- Original GM 433 MHZ TPMS sensors
4- Touch-Less Mounting
4- High Speed Road-Forced Balancing
1- Kit Gorilla Lock System 14x1.5 Black OR Chrome
4- Shipped

- with Continental Extreme Contact Sport
DorsoDuroJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 12:32 AM   #19
LA_LT1

Drives: Chevy Camaro LT1, BMW M3
Quote:

On my LT1 I have the active exhaust and 7in screen.
If I was to custom order a LT1 I would get the recaros and active exhaust. The stock seats are average and scream "rental car". The 7in screen is fine for me. I'm coming from an 2008 BMW with no screen so it seems very modern. The LT1 is a stripper performance model so getting too many options defeats the purpose of the car..which is cheap performance in my opinion.
LA_LT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 11:31 AM   #20
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Can anyone provide any insight between the 2021 Camaro LT1 6-speed vs a 2021 Mustang GT base 6-speed?

Torn between which to order.

The Mustang has better visibility, more interior space, better trunk room, easier to daily drive, the coyote sings at high RPMs and the overall car is subjectively better looking. However stock handling is soft, the getrag transmission is known to have issues, the coyote lacks low end grunt, and the car looks very "pedestrian" in stock form.

The Camaro handles better, is more driver oriented, the LT1 motor has plenty of low end grunt, the TR6060 trans shifts beautifully. However the visibility is poor and the interior is cramped.

I know this is a Camaro site so responses will likely be biased, but I am interested in hearing everyone's thoughts.
I like most here am biased, but I can make it simple for you. The Mustang is sportsCAR and the Camaro is a SPORTScar.

Looks are about even to me.

Comparing the standard M6 Mustang against the base LT1 M6:
  • The LT1 is faster than the Mustang in the 1/4 My LT1 for example will run with A10 Mustangs in the 1/4
  • The LT1 handles light years better than the base Mustang. But both need better tires. THe LT1 handles like the SS and being lighter has a slight edge. But if you want to Track get the SS.
  • The LT1 has the best manual Transmission by far. And a better shifter.
  • The Lt1 interior is more driver oriented than the Mustang where the Mustang is more roomy and easier to see out of.

If you order get NPP, The Recaros, and the Bose if you can afford those. I also am a sunroof fan in the Camaro as it makes the interior less confining.

You can look at the build threads to find out what people are doing to thier LT1s.
Old 12-11-2021, 10:14 PM   #21
Seniorrs

Drives: 21 Camaro RS manual v6.Tyota Tacoma
I had a focus st for 4 yrs and 94k miles and loved it but I don't like mustangs. The gen 6 is a great car imo. Can't imagine being torn between a mustang and a Camaro
Seniorrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 10:34 AM   #22
IMadeYouReadThis

Drives: 02 Camaro SS 6M / 11 GMC Sierra
[QUOTE=BlaqWhole;11102160]Ok so I am probably the only one who thinks the M6 trans in the GT is not that bad at all. I had a 15 GT Premium with 401a option package and M6 trans.

I agree with you I have a 2018 GT premium and I love the 6-speed. It's a smooth shifting transmission the longer gear ratios are good for daily driving and you can spin the tires at a hundred kilometers an hour when you shift which is 60 miles.

I've heard of some guys having issues but most don't and I think most guys enjoy it.

As far as the Mustang or the Camaro. I didn't really have any visibility problems in my Camaro when I had it you just have to adjust the review and the side mirrors properly. That's always been the way though I had to do that in my 2002 z28 as well

As far as a base GT goes the base stereo really looks terrible in my opinion besides that the car is nice.

I would look for a used premium over a new base

Test drive them both they're both awesome cars get whatever one you like

Don't forget to test drive a challenger while you're at it these are after all the last days of muscle cars might as well take your time and enjoy your purchase
IMadeYouReadThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 03:15 PM   #23
Brudda*Termite

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
I tried both on the same weekend. Fortunately I have a friend who let me drive his PP2 Mustang and it's a great car and I have favored Mustangs in the past. Went to where the Camaro was the next day. I would recommend this method, and it's easy to rent a base GT in most larger population areas, haven't seen a rentable Camaro yet in my travels...
Old 12-19-2021, 05:21 PM   #24
10mm
Account Suspended

Drives: My wife nuts...
I sold my LT1.

Great car but wasn't enough for me.
2SS or ZL1 is next.

Get the tech pkg if you go with the LT1.
Mine had it and its a great stock audio system.
Just don't overdrive the lows.

I also got over the visibility and small greenhouse in about 15-20 minutes
10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 10:36 PM   #25
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMadeYouReadThis View Post
I agree with you I have a 2018 GT premium and I love the 6-speed. It's a smooth shifting transmission the longer gear ratios are good for daily driving and you can spin the tires at a hundred kilometers an hour when you shift which is 60 miles.

I've heard of some guys having issues but most don't and I think most guys enjoy it.

As far as the Mustang or the Camaro. I didn't really have any visibility problems in my Camaro when I had it you just have to adjust the review and the side mirrors properly. That's always been the way though I had to do that in my 2002 z28 as well

As far as a base GT goes the base stereo really looks terrible in my opinion besides that the car is nice.

I would look for a used premium over a new base

Test drive them both they're both awesome cars get whatever one you like

Don't forget to test drive a challenger while you're at it these are after all the last days of muscle cars might as well take your time and enjoy your purchase
It's not bad if you are comparing it to a family car manual trans, but that's the gripe I have with the Mustang 6-speed: it feels closer to the manual trans in my winter family cars (Mazda3 or Accord) than in the Camaro SS or my Series 2 RX-8.

Sports car manual trans should feel on the firmer side, and there should be a mechanical feel to get into each gear to give you the satisfaction of shifting. Mustang's Getrag just isn't nearly as satisfying to use for a sports car. Mustang's stock shift throw is also a little long, though I don't think it's the fairest comparison to my SS 1LE (which has a shorter shifter than standard SS IIRC).

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 12:15 AM   #26
TXCSSU
Account Suspended

Drives: 2022 ZL1 M6/Nissan Leaf
I have to be honest, I wouldn't bother using interior space as a deciding factor on either of these cars. It's like trying to figure out what STD clinic is the best for finding a date. If you want interior space, might as well get a Charger, which means you'll be giving up on the handling (and instead of an STD clinic for a date, you're at a fat camp looking for a date).

Both cars (the Camaro and the Mustang) are pretty closely matched, but it will ultimately depend on what you want. For me, I want a 6-speed manual, and if the Mustang's is garbage then that rules the Mustang out for me.

Oh and my current vehicle is a Chevy SS sedan, which has great room for 4 and does handle better than the Charger. But, it's not a manual. What I have learned about having a great car that has plenty of room for passengers is that you almost always get elected to drive to lunch, and if you have disgusting co-workers like I do, you either let them act like pigs in your car, or you become "that guy" and make people wash their hands before they get into your car after lunch. For the record, I became the latter after finding finger prints all over the back seat after going to Buffalo Wild Wings on the previous day.

With the Camaro or the Mustang, you don't have to apologize for not driving at lunch, as not many people will want to sit in the back seat of either car. Both cars are driver-centric, which is fine unless you're starting a family.

Last point, make sure you get exactly what you want (manual, exotic V8 sound, etc.) as these cars' days are numbered. Chevy is expecting to pull the plug (or is it add the plug) on the Camaro in the next few years. I can't imagine that Ford will be ok with Chevy's EV Camaro besting the Mustang's performance numbers for long, so the Mustang will most likely go EV shortly after the Camaro, which is why I've already ordered my manual transmission Camaro. I'm getting it just how I'd want it to be optioned figuring this is the last high performance IC vehicle I'll ever own. So I'm ordering it the way I'd want it. Just something to keep in mind.
TXCSSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 11:35 AM   #27
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Challenger.

Or a Camaro

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 12:47 PM   #28
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
It's not bad if you are comparing it to a family car manual trans, but that's the gripe I have with the Mustang 6-speed: it feels closer to the manual trans in my winter family cars (Mazda3 or Accord) than in the Camaro SS or my Series 2 RX-8.

Sports car manual trans should feel on the firmer side, and there should be a mechanical feel to get into each gear to give you the satisfaction of shifting. Mustang's Getrag just isn't nearly as satisfying to use for a sports car. Mustang's stock shift throw is also a little long, though I don't think it's the fairest comparison to my SS 1LE (which has a shorter shifter than standard SS IIRC).
This. I found on the Getrag equipped Mustangs I’ve driven that the shift feel is very light for my taste, with no communication through the shifter that you are seated in the gate. To me, that was the biggest sin. The Tremec was “click-click-click”. The Getrag was “well, I can’t move it any further, so…”. Also, I found the throws to be longer than I like, but that is easily corrected. The Tremec equipped Mustangs I’ve driven were just all around goodness. Had me wondering why Ford would keep Getrag on the program. To be honest, it’s more about that the Tremec is that good than it is about the Getrag being that bad. If I had never driven the Tremec in a Mustang, I might have made peace with the Getrag and become accustomed to it. But after driving the Tremec… when you know that something so much better is within reach, you stop settling for adequate.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote