Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-14-2021, 12:45 PM   #15
ZachU

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
My answers to the questions above:

How do you find PC's "canned tune" in other respects? Drivability, idle, Etc.? The Procharger tune is fine to drive on and the idle seems ok too.

Any issues like overly rich/lean? Is your fuel 93 pump?

I'm on 93 pump gas and it seems a bit rich but nothing too crazy.

Do you know the max boost level? My Aeroforce gauge shows about 8.5PSI at WOT close to red line.

How soon in the RPM do you feel full-boost kicking in with the P1X ?
Did you measure R-WHP on a dyno?

I haven't put mine on a dyno since the S/C and I feel it really kick in just above 3k RPM. My baseline dyno run before the install was 422RWHP and the kit advertised 180+.
Old 09-14-2021, 12:53 PM   #16
asthmamax11

Drives: 1SS Summit White 6 speed
Thanks for having the balls to post this.
I don't put alot of weight into "corrected" #'s for 1/4 racing.
Usually I just pay attention to DA.

This was Auto and NT05r tires ?
Solo Performance Cat deletes and Axleback
Hurst short shifter
#'s coming soon

Riaction coilovers
1LE sway bars
BMR mm
BMR chassis brace

Flow one 19" wheels wrapped in Mickey Thompsons

02 Z28 M6 35th anniversary
80k miles
T-tops
Leather
Bolt ons
Joy to drive this classic every day!
Daily Driver
asthmamax11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 01:26 PM   #17
grampa_ss

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I went thru this exact situation 2 years ago. I had the same setup as you. Procharger with DR’s. Car went 11.9 at 117. Car put down 580rwhp. Well, it sure didn’t run like it. So I got a tune and wow what a difference. Car went 10.8@129. You need a tune, then you’ll feel your Procharger.
Old 09-14-2021, 01:58 PM   #18
ZachU

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampa_ss View Post
I went thru this exact situation 2 years ago. I had the same setup as you. Procharger with DR’s. Car went 11.9 at 117. Car put down 580rwhp. Well, it sure didn’t run like it. So I got a tune and wow what a difference. Car went 10.8@129. You need a tune, then you’ll feel your Procharger.
Wow that's one hell of a difference!! I need to get my car on the dyno.
Old 09-14-2021, 01:59 PM   #19
cjperformance

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 50th Anniversary
Quote:
Originally Posted by asthmamax11 View Post
Thanks for having the balls to post this.
I don't put alot of weight into "corrected" #'s for 1/4 racing.
Usually I just pay attention to DA.

This was Auto and NT05r tires ?
That is correct.
cjperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 02:01 PM   #20
cjperformance

Quote:
Yeah, that's what I want to hear! I'd be really happy with that. That thing has to be dancing all over the place on the street. Even with what I got now it'll break em loose with a downshift. Gonna replace the NT05s with an actual drag radial once I wear these out.
Old 09-14-2021, 02:03 PM   #21
LT1ornothing

Drives: 2020 LT1 M6
Quote:
That is an incredible difference between the crap canned tune and a good tune, especially if it was on the same pulley. That's over one full second ET gain and 12 mph. Definitely going for the tuner kit on whatever I can get my hands on.
LT1ornothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 02:21 PM   #22
cjperformance

Just placed the order for my 3-bar sensor and baro breakout with DSX too. Great feedback to all the helpful people on this forum!

My only regret is waiting so long to pull the trigger on these changes
Old 09-14-2021, 02:23 PM   #23
Kerry

Drives: 2019 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
I helped a guy (ZT Zooming on YT) sort out the procharger canned tune when he installed a P1x on his car. The supplied tune was horrible....wasn't even entering PE mode and running extremely lean. He has some vids on that might help you out.

I also fixed a P1x tune on a SS A8 a friend of mine bought from a forum member. Mainly the trans tune...the engine tune was pretty good. It runs good for 93 octane. It's a real close race between him and my brothers 2019 A10 ZL1 with a ported tb and cai.

So there is a ton left in your setup even on pump gas. The SS really needs to be on a blend of Ethanol fuel so it can run some timing. Pump gas limits a SS to about 11-13 degrees of timing unless you lower compression. On E40 you can run 17+ degrees.

The procharger tune pretty much allows you to drive the car with their product and that's about it.

I agree with King here. I used to think the canned pro tune was good. Its ok but like he said sometimes the car would go all the way to redline with out pe.

And as has been said the car is lazy down low compared to what oit was before the charger. You have to get into it to feel the power then of course its more. the main problem is everybody turns off cam timing down low. Thats a drop in power for sure. If you turn it back on it picks back up down low but you have to turn the ing timing back on with it. i noticed more down low power and about 2 mpg in a 20 mile test trip.

I got a tune and it picked the car up for sure. Espicaly down low. So i dont need the cam timing down low and I have more boost now. I probly will play with that some more down the road.

I have a 2020 mustang in the family with a p1x stage 2 and the pro tune was horrible. car would go in to shutdown randomly for no apparent reason and when it hit about 100 110 it would misfire and shut down.

about 8 months down the road with a palm beach tune flawless and is very very strong.

Procharger tunes
Kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 02:50 PM   #24
grampa_ss

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEornothing View Post
That is an incredible difference between the crap canned tune and a good tune, especially if it was on the same pulley. That's over one full second ET gain and 12 mph. Definitely going for the tuner kit on whatever I can get my hands on.
I actually never used the Procharger tune. The tune was from the shop that did the Procharger install. I got a new tune from Rick Clarke, then showed the results to the shop that did the install/tune and proceeded to get the $600 back they charged for the tune.
Old 09-14-2021, 05:54 PM   #25
cjperformance

Would anyone be able to provide, say, the top 5 things to focus on for "fixing" a procharger tune for a DIYer? I understand that tunes cost money, and probably no one wants to give away things for free, but would be amazing to see what exactly the differences are between the "good" tunes, and the canned tunes.

Is it just a matter of optimizing the VVE tables and spark? What else can I focus on learning about to get us the most bang for the buck (or time spent in my case)? What's going to make the biggest improvements?
Old 09-14-2021, 06:26 PM   #26
Eldi Z

Drives: 17' 1SS 1LE GBA-Black
Thanks for the information Cjperformance and ZchU about your experience with the PC Canned (S**t) tune. Bottom line: Never use canned tunes, only dedicated ones which are written by a tuner on your engine - probably no way around it.

Seems like the P1X with the Stg.2 FMIC + LT4 fueling + Professional Tune, is the right way to go for a fun street car.

One more question: What is the advantage of using a 3 Bar MAP ? Why is a breakout harness necessary ?
I am learning a lot here... :-)
Eldi Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 06:48 PM   #27
cjperformance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldi Z View Post
Thanks for the information Cjperformance and ZchU about your experience with the PC Canned (S**t) tune. Bottom line: Never use canned tunes, only dedicated ones which are written by a tuner on your engine - probably no way around it.

Seems like the P1X with the Stg.2 FMIC + LT4 fueling + Professional Tune, is the right way to go for a fun street car.

One more question: What is the advantage of using a 3 Bar MAP ? Why is a breakout harness necessary ?
I am learning a lot here... :-)
I think you only need LT4 fueling above 580 RWHP, but a good idea if you plan on going over that at any point. More specifically, my understanding is if your injector pulse width is over 5ms.

1 Bar = around 14.7 psi, which is also atmospheric pressure, so a 1 Bar can not measure boost. For example 7 psi of boost is actually 21.7 psi (14.7 ambient + 7 psi boost) or 1.5 bar. Basically the tunes that dont use a 3 bar are fudging the values, or faking it. That's my technical explanation.... just faking it. I'll explain more when I understand it myself.

The breakout allows you to measure atmospheric pressure outside the pressurized intake tract by adding in another map sensor. One outside the pressurized intake tract to measure atmospheric pressure, usually your old 1 bar, and another (usually the 3 bar) to measure boost (or vacuum for that matter) in the intake. This allows correct calculation of the pressure ratio which is dividing the intake pressure by the ambient pressure (or vice versa maybe).

For example, 21.7 intake press / 14.7 atmospheric = 1.47 pressure ratio, which affects VVE table calculations (or lookups....) . Again, at least that's my understanding. If I'm wrong, please correct me
Old 09-14-2021, 06:58 PM   #28
Kerry

Drives: 2019 2SS Camaro
Quote:
I actually never used the Procharger tune. The tune was from the shop that did the Procharger install. I got a new tune from Rick Clarke, then showed the results to the shop that did the install/tune and proceeded to get the $600 back they charged for the tune.
I went with rick as well. Very satisfied!!!
Kerry is offline   Reply With Quote