Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 11-30-2021, 07:32 AM   #1
infinitereality
Limitless Imagination

Drives: 2018 ZL1 & 2022 Hayabusa
Odd Front PS4S Tire Wear

Anyone else's PS4S do this on the fronts? Tires were purchased new locally, they're about 6 weeks old and have a couple thousand miles on them.

The rear tires (315/30) don't do this. To me it looks like low pressure, but I've run 32-33 in them since day 1. This weekend I bumped it up to 35, no difference.

Any ideas as to a fix?
Attached Images

- RotoFab Dry, Forgestar CF5V (ZLE Spec), Eibach Pro, AeroForce Interceptor, GT4 Tow Hook
- Carbon Fiber (Satin): Radio, Shifter, Steering Wheel Controls, Shifter Top, AC Vents, Side Mirrors & Shark Fin
2022 Suzuki Hayabusa - Brilliant White Pearl & Shocker Yellow Wheels
- +4 Arm, 240 OEM Wheel, Brock's CT (Ti) Exhaust, 1.25" drop, etc...
infinitereality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 07:57 AM   #2
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
Looks like driven hard and understeer ? ie scrubbed sidewall?

Checking pressure via DIC or pressure gauge ?

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 08:05 AM   #3
infinitereality
Limitless Imagination

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtor_ZL1 View Post
Looks like driven hard and understeer ? ie scrubbed sidewall?

Checking pressure via DIC or pressure gauge ?
I honestly haven't really pushed the car very hard around corners on these tires yet. Just slightly spirted driving at best.

Checking pressure via both, they're all spot on or within 1psi of DIC. Never had a low tire alarm or anything, even with the drop in temp recently.

It's just weird, I almost want to say something is wrong with the tires or maybe guess could be the car. BTW car is lowered on eibach and had an alignment at the same time the PS4S were mounted. Nothing looks out of place or odd.
- RotoFab Dry, Forgestar CF5V (ZLE Spec), Eibach Pro, AeroForce Interceptor, GT4 Tow Hook
- Carbon Fiber (Satin): Radio, Shifter, Steering Wheel Controls, Shifter Top, AC Vents, Side Mirrors & Shark Fin
Old 11-30-2021, 08:21 AM   #4
ZL1plumbin

Drives: ZL1 1LE on order
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitereality View Post
I honestly haven't really pushed the car very hard around corners on these tires yet. Just slightly spirted driving at best.

Checking pressure via both, they're all spot on or within 1psi of DIC. Never had a low tire alarm or anything, even with the drop in temp recently.

It's just weird, I almost want to say something is wrong with the tires or maybe guess could be the car. BTW car is lowered on eibach and had an alignment at the same time the PS4S were mounted. Nothing looks out of place or odd.
Key piece of info there.. car is lowered. Im sure others more versed than me will chime in but the first thing I would be looking at is how the front being lowered affects the geometry of everything. I would be willing to bet if you put it back to stock height it wouldn’t do it. Could be the lowering and the particular tire makeup is allowing this to happen.
ZL1plumbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 08:38 AM   #5
infinitereality
Limitless Imagination

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1plumbin View Post
Key piece of info there.. car is lowered. Im sure others more versed than me will chime in but the first thing I would be looking at is how the front being lowered affects the geometry of everything. I would be willing to bet if you put it back to stock height it wouldn’t do it. Could be the lowering and the particular tire makeup is allowing this to happen.
To me when lowering the car, the insides of the inside sidewall would get the funky wear and not outside (pre-alignment). But I have an alignment and is only a 0.4" drop front/rear, it should be easy to get within factory alignment spec now (assuming alignment was done correctly)?

I'm kind of at a loss as to why these tires are doing this.
Old 11-30-2021, 09:07 AM   #6
Justcruising

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS
Quote:
To me when lowering the car, the insides of the inside sidewall would get the funky wear and not outside (pre-alignment). But I have an alignment and is only a 0.4" drop front/rear, it should be easy to get within factory alignment spec now (assuming alignment was done correctly)?

I'm kind of at a loss as to why these tires are doing this.
I’m lowered with 295/30 and 315/30 with the same tires and mine does not wear like yours, maybe you should get a second opinion on the wheel alignment.
Justcruising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 09:13 AM   #7
infinitereality
Limitless Imagination

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justcruising View Post
I’m lowered with 295/30 and 315/30 with the same tires and mine does not wear like yours, maybe you should get a second opinion on the wheel alignment.
I bought tires at same place at alignment and local, so definitely will run by there and ask the same question. Just wanted to ask here, in case I can fix it without a trip there.

I did pull the front wheels off last night, treadwear seems even visually at the moment.
Old 11-30-2021, 09:38 AM   #8
clg82

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1
Quote:

Same here, and I run the PS4S and don't have any ill effects like this. Maybe a second opinion on your alignment. After I lowered mine I had the dealership align mine. Pricey but maybe worth it.
Old 11-30-2021, 10:07 AM   #9
Mark R

Drives: 2018 ZL-1
Did you replace the bolts and nuts when you did the alignment? I believe you have to replace 8 bolts and nuts at that time.

I used to have to have my car aligned every 2000 miles because I ignored the requirement for new bolts. It didn't make sense to me until I saw a Youtube video about Torque to Yield bolts, and why they need replacing.

When I had the dealer align it with the new fasteners, it has stayed aligned for 6000 miles so far.
Mark R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 11:09 AM   #10
AZ_1LE

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
It looks like you sometimes have the wheel hard to the left and you go either through a road side rain gutter or up a steep parking lot entrance ramp?

What I'd do is clean the tire real well, let it dry, then get some chalk and draw a heavy line on the shoulder of the tire going from the top of the tread down to where the writing is on the tire. Drive it around some like you normally do and see how far down that line has gotten scrubbed away.
AZ_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 11:42 AM   #11
infinitereality
Limitless Imagination

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark R View Post
Did you replace the bolts and nuts when you did the alignment? I believe you have to replace 8 bolts and nuts at that time.

I used to have to have my car aligned every 2000 miles because I ignored the requirement for new bolts. It didn't make sense to me until I saw a Youtube video about Torque to Yield bolts, and why they need replacing.

When I had the dealer align it with the new fasteners, it has stayed aligned for 6000 miles so far.
Definitely still OEM bolts/nuts for alignment, least on the rear. I'm sure same on the front. Are alignment bolts for this car really TTY? I'd assume alignment shop would known to replace, but who knows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_1LE View Post
It looks like you sometimes have the wheel hard to the left and you go either through a road side rain gutter or up a steep parking lot entrance ramp?

What I'd do is clean the tire real well, let it dry, then get some chalk and draw a heavy line on the shoulder of the tire going from the top of the tread down to where the writing is on the tire. Drive it around some like you normally do and see how far down that line has gotten scrubbed away.
No real rain gutter or anything to cross over. We have a couple speed bumpers, but they're not very tall so don't need to go over them cattycorner.

That's a great idea, I have some chalk to give this a shot. Just to make sure it's actually scrubbing itself and not some oddball thing going on. Probably will do both tires, just for kicks.
Old 11-30-2021, 10:03 PM   #12
infinitereality
Limitless Imagination

Marked both fronts (no scrubbing clean) before going to pick up my daughter from daycare so put 100 miles, just normal driving, no issue (see pics).

Will drive more aggressive tomorrow, especially around corners and see the outcome. If no different, I'll drop pressure back down to 32 again and try again.
Attached Images

Old 12-08-2021, 10:11 AM   #13
infinitereality
Limitless Imagination

After a week or so of driving with the chalk on the tires, the chalk was untouched. Dropping them from 35-36 back down to 32psi and see what happens.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=584431

Happen to randomly open this thread and noticed his PS4S front tires have similar sidewall wear. Almost kind of wonder if they were like this from the start and nothing my Z did to them.