Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 04-12-2022, 08:42 AM   #1
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
ZL1 vs C8 - Driving Experiences

Does anyone have experience owning both of these cars? If so, I am curious to get your driving impressions between a ZL1 A10 to a C8 Stingray Z51.

Use case - light daily driver, maybe 100 miles a week, no track, just some spirted driving here and there and joy of ownership.

Performance-wise at the $70k price point the ZL1 is hard to beat but I am curious if anyone found the C8 is more "fun" to drive?

- A10 vs DCT?
- Visibility improvement?
- C8 is a bit quicker to 60mph but a bit slower on highway pull.
- Handling?
- Exhaust note?
- Driving position?
- C8 Maintenance, extra DCT maintenance/filter flushes, etc?

Styling is subjective so I will leave that aside but just curious if anyone had some real world feedback on these two cars.
2017 C7 Stingray - M7 Coupe - Sold
2019 C7 Grand Sport M7 Vert - Sold
2021 Camaro ZL1 - Black - A10 - Sold
2019 Tesla Model 3
2022 CT4-V Blackwing - M6
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 09:29 AM   #2
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
I have had both. I was on the fence about which one to keep but ultimately went with the ZL1 because its more mod friendly.

- A10 vs DCT? Its a wash, both transmissions are very good. Both shift quick and are responsive, but the A10 is built stronger if you intend to make more power than stock.

- Visibility improvement? The C8 has more visibility however some of that is offset by the lower ride height of the C8.

- C8 is a bit quicker to 60mph but a bit slower on highway pull. True, 495hp vs 650hp.

- Handling? On paper, the ZL1 handles just slightly better, in the real world, its hard to tell the difference except in an experts hands. I was very impressed with both but the C8 feels a bit more planted to me, probably the mid engine and lower center of gravity and was more confidence inspiring.

- Exhaust note? No question, the ZL1 here. The mid engine design and the insulation used to keep the engine noise out of the cabin makes it very hard to hear the exhaust in the C8. Outside the car, the C8 sounds good, but you can't hear much at all inside.

- Driving position? ZL1 sits more upright, C8 is a bit more reclined, the C8 is more comfortable when seated but is harder to get in and out of.

- C8 Maintenance, extra DCT maintenance/filter flushes, etc? I don't recall the C8 requiring any other extra maintenance other than the first 7500 miles, which you're supposed to have your first oil change, transmission filter change.
Z OH 6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 09:57 AM   #3
Vigilante375

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Well if you can find a C8 at $70k then go for it. New or used, you probably won't find many at that price.
Vigilante375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 09:57 AM   #4
Centric8

Drives: 2020 C8, 2022 ZL1, 1966 C2 427/425
I have both. 2020 C8 and 2022 ZL1 convertible A10.

Transmission: no comparison. The C8 DCT is clearly a DCT. Shifts instantly. No slop/slipping. Acts like a manual (engine braking). C8 wins big time.

Acceleration: C8 feels significantly weaker than ZL1 (surprise) at all speeds. Disclaimer, I don't drag race.

Exhaust note: on all settings other than Tour or Stealth, the ZL1 gets obnoxiously boy-racer loud very fast. The exhaust note is fine in all C8 modes, and managed much better, at least in my opinion.

Handling: no comparison, the C8 kills it. As you'd expect with a non-ZLE.

Intangibles: build quality of C8 is leagues above the Camaro, hell, just the way the doors close is bank-vault quality. Interior is much higher quality. Electronics are much better worked out, despite using very similar systems. It feels like a much newer car. If this stuff is important to you, then there you go.

Why do I have both, then? Because I enjoy both. I bought the Camaro knowing it would be less refined (it also replaces a 2013 ZL1 convertible). Also because one is located at our Texas house, where I don't want to be as showy (Riverside Blue ZL1 vs Rapid Blue C8). But in terms of quality, refinement, etc--C8 literally all the way.
Centric8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 11:34 AM   #5
raptor5244

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante375 View Post
Well if you can find a C8 at $70k then go for it. New or used, you probably won't find many at that price.
True, it would have to be a 1LT/Z51 sold at MSRP to keep it at the same $70k mark. While the C8 interior is more updated in general you need to get to 2LT trim to get the rear view mirror camera, HUD, etc.
2019 Tesla Model 3

Last edited by raptor5244; 04-12-2022 at 11:49 AM.
Old 04-12-2022, 11:37 AM   #6
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centric8 View Post

Transmission: no comparison. The C8 DCT is clearly a DCT. Shifts instantly. No slop/slipping. Acts like a manual (engine braking). C8 wins big time.

Acceleration: C8 feels significantly weaker than ZL1 (surprise) at all speeds. Disclaimer, I don't drag race.

Exhaust note: on all settings other than Tour or Stealth, the ZL1 gets obnoxiously boy-racer loud very fast. The exhaust note is fine in all C8 modes, and managed much better, at least in my opinion.

Intangibles: build quality of C8 is leagues above the Camaro, hell, just the way the doors close is bank-vault quality. Interior is much higher quality. Electronics are much better worked out, despite using very similar systems. It feels like a much newer car. If this stuff is important to you, then there you go.

Why do I have both, then? Because I enjoy both. I bought the Camaro knowing it would be less refined (it also replaces a 2013 ZL1 convertible). Also because one is located at our Texas house, where I don't want to be as showy (Riverside Blue ZL1 vs Rapid Blue C8). But in terms of quality, refinement, etc--C8 literally all the way.

Half of what you wrote is nonsense. Its a little more than ironic that you just so happened to stumble onto this thread and decided to add your .02 for your first post.
Old 04-12-2022, 11:39 AM   #7
raptor5244

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
I have had both. I was on the fence about which one to keep but ultimately went with the ZL1 because its more mod friendly.

- A10 vs DCT? Its a wash, both transmissions are very good. Both shift quick and are responsive, but the A10 is built stronger if you intend to make more power than stock.

- Visibility improvement? The C8 has more visibility however some of that is offset by the lower ride height of the C8.

- C8 is a bit quicker to 60mph but a bit slower on highway pull. True, 495hp vs 650hp.

- Handling? On paper, the ZL1 handles just slightly better, in the real world, its hard to tell the difference except in an experts hands. I was very impressed with both but the C8 feels a bit more planted to me, probably the mid engine and lower center of gravity and was more confidence inspiring.

- Exhaust note? No question, the ZL1 here. The mid engine design and the insulation used to keep the engine noise out of the cabin makes it very hard to hear the exhaust in the C8. Outside the car, the C8 sounds good, but you can't hear much at all inside.

- Driving position? ZL1 sits more upright, C8 is a bit more reclined, the C8 is more comfortable when seated but is harder to get in and out of.

- C8 Maintenance, extra DCT maintenance/filter flushes, etc? I don't recall the C8 requiring any other extra maintenance other than the first 7500 miles, which you're supposed to have your first oil change, transmission filter change.
Thanks for the insight.
2019 Tesla Model 3
Old 04-12-2022, 11:44 AM   #8
Snowwolfe

Drives: CTV5 V Blackwing on order
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
Half of what you wrote is nonsense. Its a little more than ironic that you just so happened to stumble onto this thread and decided to add your .02 for your first post.
Calm down, he joined in Dec 21 so has been around for a few months. It’s his opinion, not nonsense. A lot of what he says mirrors what others have also mentioned.
Snowwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 11:52 AM   #9
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
Calm down, he joined in Dec 21 so has been around for a few months. It’s his opinion, not nonsense. A lot of what he says mirrors what others have also mentioned.
Not really, and its quite suspicious that its his first post. Seeing that I have real world knowledge of both, its pretty obvious its nonsense. I am willing to accept some personal preference, but some of what he stated is nonsense.

"Transmission: no comparison. The C8 DCT is clearly a DCT. Shifts instantly. No slop/slipping. Acts like a manual (engine braking). C8 wins big time." NONSENSE

"Handling: no comparison, the C8 kills it. As you'd expect with a non-ZLE." NONSENSE
Old 04-12-2022, 11:54 AM   #10
raptor5244

Quote:

Thanks. Which one do you find is more fun to drive on the street? One of the reasons I am drawn to the ZL1 is the more raw/visceral feel it offers. I am thinking it would take a jump to the Z06 to get more driving excitement than the ZL1 offers.
2019 Tesla Model 3
Old 04-12-2022, 11:59 AM   #11
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor5244 View Post
Thanks. Which one do you find is more fun to drive on the street? One of the reasons I am drawn to the ZL1 is the more raw/visceral feel it offers. I am thinking it would take a jump to the Z06 to get more driving excitement than the ZL1 offers.
You would be correct. The C8 Z51 is not as slow as you might think for 495hp but if you drive both back to back, it becomes more noticeable. The C8 Z51 isn't slow by any means though, it just doesn't quite have the same G-force pull that a ZL1 does at full boost. I'm patiently waiting for the C8 Z06 order banks to open up so I can get mine ordered, but we'll have to see if they feel the same. Being a high revving NA engine, it will be quicker than the ZL1 but it may not necessarily feel like it. We'll see.
Old 04-12-2022, 12:02 PM   #12
activeSS

Drives: Radiant Red SS 1LE & ZL1
Had a ZL1 in 2017. Just got my C8 a few weeks back and have a 2023 ZL1 currently on order.

I like them both. But they are apples and oranges. And they both are about the same priice. The C8 was $72k and the ZL1 will be about $68k.

The C8 has way more techy stuff for the $. Also I feel the C8 is a mile ahead on quality in the cockpit.

The ZL1 (with a stick) is more fun to drive in my opinion.

Last edited by activeSS; 04-13-2022 at 03:20 PM.
activeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 12:45 PM   #13
Camaro1973

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Quote:

This is really a bunch of Horseshit tbh. Especially about the “boy racer loud” comment. The ZL1 exhaust note is quite tame tbh.

Not going to even comment on the rest.

LME 377 LT4 Short Block | Magnuson 2650 80mm upper w/13% lower (9.06) | DSX Lid & Valve Covers | CSP Custom Cam w/32% fuel lobe | CID Heads | NW 103mm TB | Roto Fab Big Gulp | CSP 2" Headers w/Green GESI Gen 2 Cats | Borla 3" Full Cat Back w/ S-Type| Mighty Mouse Wild Catch Can| Custom Holley Low side Fuel system| TooHigh PSI Port Injection w/Holley Controller | Forced Inductions Interchiller w/2 gallon fender tank | TK Performance built 10L90
Camaro1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 12:52 PM   #14
Centric8

Drives: 2020 C8, 2022 ZL1, 1966 C2 427/425
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor5244 View Post
It really depends on what you're looking for. In California, I like the C8 (2LT/Z51) because my commute is shorter and there are more canyon roads nearby. In Texas, I prefer the ZL1 because it's a better long-distance car, and we frequently make trips up to Fredericksburg, etc. The Corvette definitely requires more attention due to the lower front splitter, but then again, at least it's not painted like the ZL1.

Neither really strikes me as raw or visceral, but again, the ZL1 is a convertible, so it's the softest of the ZL1 variants by far. The ZL1 definitely has more of a Jekyll and Hyde personality, whereas the C8 is very much a precision instrument. Both have their place.

We'll see what the Z06 brings. I'm pretty far down the list at Ciocca, but eventually I'll be able to comment on that.
Centric8 is offline   Reply With Quote