Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-15-2022, 09:33 AM   #15
chevybill

Drives: 1994 z-28, 2017 2ss 6spd
To the OP, congratulations on the car.

Not to steal your thread, but how prevalent are manual transmission cars in your part
of the world? In the USA, manual transmission new cars are becoming rare. The
majority of drivers here cannot operate a manual car. How does this compare to Munich and Germany?
chevybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 09:52 AM   #16
Uk2019
UK2019

Drives: Camaro 2017 2ss/eu spec convertible
Lettering on engine covers

You can buy pre-cut vinyl letters on ebay to replace the flaking paint. Put them on mine a few months ago, holding up well
Attached Images

Uk2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 04:09 AM   #17
ThatGermanGuy

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Coupé
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Cold cranking takes longer by design, my guess is it's set up to make sure adequate lubrication is achieved before turning spark on. I saw this table in another thread, see how these numbers may apply in your case.

The clicking noise doesn't sound excessive to me and feels like normal DI noise, but I'll let the real experts chime in.

Don't forget to always put good gas in
Thanks for the Table! That’s some great input!
I already thought that it might be the engine just cutting spark to ensure the high pressure oil pump can provide lube to the engine. According to the table everything should be fine with the starter, regarding the starting times. Maybe it’s a little bit prolonged but not much.

As for the noise, I will check back on it again in a month. If it gets worse, I will upload another short video. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaxas View Post
1) The car has 455 HP, you are in the wrong gear, or as someone else commented, lower octane that's cutting timing
2) Could be one of these 2 things, either injector as previously mentioned, or generally Chevy quality, mine has a rattle every so often from the rear deck
3) Weak battery/temperature
4) Chevy quality again, mine started to peel like 6 months into ownership

And here's an extra one, if you are driving highway speeds, say 80+ kmh on 6th gear and you're around 900-1100 RPM and accelerate, the car will make this low rumble that sounds weird and disappears, THIS IS NORMAL, IIRC it is the resonant frequency of the car but don't quote me on that
I will try with higher Octane fuel. So far I only filled it up with ROZ95 which would be a RON91 in the US, I guess..it will be empty soon and I will fill it up with Aral 102+ High Octane fuel and I will see what it does then.

As for the low rumbling noise, I know thatcher is normal and I don’t worry about that. Thanks for the heads up though! I usually don’t drive in such low RPMs to be honest.

Thanks for the other inputs, as well! The DI Noise is the one thing that worried me the most but so far it seems normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroChriSS View Post
What mode do you drive in? Sometimes track mode can feel a little sluggish at first (intentionally so you don't go too wild in the corners) but sport is more immediate feeling.

And agreed - München is a beautiful city!
I usually drive in Touring-Mode. I only tried out Track a few times on the Autobahn so far. I really do think that it’s bad fuel, and the engine cutting timing in low RPM, high power demand situations to prevent knocking.

And thank you! Yes, Munich indeed is beautiful! I love it here! I’ve been to the states 14 times and it’s always a blast but I always come back and feel glad to be at home here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
BTW your english is far superior to our german...
Thank you so much for your compliment! My English is a bit rusty, indent really use it as often as I want to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
Horsepower is torque x speed. 455 hp is a peak that happens at high rpm. Yo don't make 455 hp until the engine is at its peak torque

Having said that, GM V8s are torque monsters that pull hard even below 2000 rpm.

However, if you are accustomed to turbocharged cars with flat torque curves, you are understandably concerned. People talk about turbo lag, but in fact, turbo cars pull harder at low rpm.
That could be a thing too! I work for a service provider for BMW and my last car was a Golf GTI so I am very used to turbocharged cars and never had a NA engine with this kind of displacement or power. Though I still think it’s an timing issue and I want to see what it behaves like with high octane fuel. Because the effect from 1500RPM to 2500RPM is extreme. It also sounds different so I really think it’s cutting timing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevybill View Post
To the OP, congratulations on the car.

Not to steal your thread, but how prevalent are manual transmission cars in your part
of the world? In the USA, manual transmission new cars are becoming rare. The
majority of drivers here cannot operate a manual car. How does this compare to Munich and Germany?

Thank you! And no worries! As mentioned before, I’ve been to the States 14 times now and I’ve never seen a manual in the U.S., only in enthusiast cars or performance cars.

Here in Germany manuals only really became a thing since VW launched the DSG in it’s Models back in… let’s say 2010.
Before that, automatics were a thing only really well equipped or high performance cars had. You can still get a lot of new cars as manuals. Only high performance cars are usually limited to automatics. Though, BMW just launched a campaign with the New M3 and M4 to save the manuals! But it’s getting less and less here when it comes to new cars.

When it comes to Camaros, I would say it’s a 80/20 split. 80% being autos.

Used cars are often manuals and people like my parents and grandparents, won’t buy an automatic. They‘re so used to manuals, they won’t change that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uk2019 View Post
You can buy pre-cut vinyl letters on ebay to replace the flaking paint. Put them on mine a few months ago, holding up well
Oh looks great! I will see if I can find something similar on German eBay
How did you get the old lettering off so well?
And how does the extra strut bar feel? Is there a note able difference?

To all: Thank you so much for your input!
I am a lot less worried that I might have bought a less nicely treated or just not as good car as I thought I have.

One last thing that came to mind over the weekends and driving the car for a bit:

The clutch feels a bit weird sometimes. And with weird I mean the engagement or gripping point is kinda weird. First when you press the clutch, there a bit of a dead zone, then there’s grip, and then you kinda fall into a like a void.

Is that “normal” or might the clutch be a bit worn out? I bought the car as the third owner and 45.000km or around 27.000 miles on it.
ThatGermanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 12:41 AM   #18
Nilly Welson

Drives: Camaro Super Sport, Six on the Stik
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGermanGuy View Post
Hello there!

Foremost, thanks for having me!
Please don't be too harsh when it comes to my English, it's not my first language.

I am a 23-year-old from beautiful Munich, Germany, and a few months ago I fulfilled my dream and bought myself a 2016 Camaro 2SS 6MT Coupé.
It's my Daily and I love it to death! There is no European car you can compare it to!
I love this car to death! Since the first time I saw one back in 2016, somewhere in Florida, I wanted one of these! Just a magnificent machine!

It's an EU-Spec black coupé with black interior and some nice black aftermarket wheels! Just gorgeous!

These cars are pretty rare here in Germany, and I consider myself very lucky to have one!

But as always with a “new” car - you're concerned when it comes to some behaviors or noises that you hear, and I figured, maybe you guys could help me understand some things or maybe even tell me what's wrong with my car.

If this is not the right Forum for it, I am so sorry! Please guide me my way to the right spot!

Now coming to my concerns:

When accelerating, the car doesn't really pull until around 2500RPM, after that it pulls much more and males full power. But before that...not so much. It's not really making 455 HP.

There is a clicking, kinda metallic noise coming from the left side of the car, i couldn't localize it really, so i don't really know where it comes from. I could provide you guys a YT-Link to a short video of the noise/engine while idling.

Sometimes it takes a while to start up. The starter sounds and works fine, just the starting sequence itself takes a few seconds. I think that's probably because of the high pressure oil pump. Am I right with that, or could it be some other issue?

The red “CAMARO” labeling on the engine cover comes off. Probably due to the heat from the engine itself?

Does anybody else know these kinds of behaviors or concerns that i have?

And is there anything for a Camaro-Noob that is a “Must Know” when it comes to these cars?

Thank you all so much and take care!
Greetings from Munich!

Yeah..love these cars. Not sure of your issue. My 455hp comes on strong. I added a Throttle controller and have mine set for response right off idle. Post a video of the issue.
Nilly Welson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 07:00 AM   #19
LT1gen6

Drives: '22 LT1 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilly Welson View Post
I added a Throttle controller and have mine set for response right off idle
What is your added throttle controller?
LT1gen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 01:08 PM   #20
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
I am not sure if the engine will ping audibly since it will pull timing if a lower octane fuel is detected. I wouldn't know since I have almost always used 94 AKI fuel, which is 98 RON in Europe.

Something to keep in mind is the gear ratio. The 6-speed gear ratios are not all that aggressive because of the amount of torque this engine can make, but if you really need power, you still need to downshift. You can be lazier with it than your typical family car or something like S2000 with no low-end torque, but if you need to use more throttle, downshift.

BTW, even with a manual trans turbocharged car, don't give it a lot of gas in low RPM unless it's in 1st or 2nd gear unless you enjoy low speed pre-ignition. Nasty stuff.

As for the red lettering peeling... That is a problem my short-lived C7 Corvette had. I bought some red lettering stickers but the car was destroyed by a flood before I could even apply it. Still have it sitting in a box. My Camaro surprisingly has no issues with that, at least for now. I have also heard people on Corvette Forum who have both 6th Gen Camaro and C7 saying that the 6th Gen Camaro cover paint doesn't come off nearly as easily. Maybe the facelift models have a different paint?

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote