Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 07-17-2019, 11:02 PM   #1
Sk8Lakai8

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1lt
Issues with new K&N typhoon

So this might be a dumb question. first time posting and just in need of some general feedback. just installed a new CAI for my v6. first day everything was fine till after about 20 miles then CEL came on. At first I wasn't sure what it was. until later I found out with the autocal tool I got from overkill that I could check the codes. saw P0171 and P0174. Worked on my car earlier and disconnected the battery. Negative only. I took off the whole intake to make sure everything was placed correctly and fitted properly. looked for any air leaks but nothing.. reconnected battery and CEL was clear. took it for a test drive and again within 25-30 miles CEL came back on. At this point maybe its obvious I need a retune for the K&N typhoon. Not sure if anyone else has had this problem.
Sk8Lakai8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 06:46 AM   #2
BOYD3800SII

Drives: 2017 RS CAMARO V6
Just a thought... get yourself some mass airflow sensor cleaner and clean the entire throttle body, sensor, and upper intake manifold. See if the codes come back on after the reset then.
BOYD3800SII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 10:16 AM   #3
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
if it's lean bank #2 ... this is a common code thrown from allowing air to leak into the intake after the maf or from more air passing the maf than it's calibrated for.

Common issue with intake bridges that do away with the air straighteners (assuming they stuck to stock diameter).

Leaky catch cans can also cause this.

But you may just be SoL ...some cars are just very finicky about maf calibration and dont do well with after market intakes that modify the bridge. You'll need either a tune or revert to drop-in filters only to avoid having that code appear periodically.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 03:40 PM   #4
SoulCyphyr71

Drives: 2018 Chevrolet Camaro RS
Just an FYI, but I had installed the K&N Typhoon on my 2018 RS a couple months ago and after 1k miles no issues. I did however replace the exhaust with the Borla ATAK quad-tips at the same time, so this might be keeping myself CEL-free with no tune. Just a thought if you are deciding to replace the exhaust as well.
SoulCyphyr71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 09:22 AM   #5
Spudsmaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 6 SPEED MANUAL CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8Lakai8 View Post
So this might be a dumb question. first time posting and just in need of some general feedback. just installed a new CAI for my v6. first day everything was fine till after about 20 miles then CEL came on. At first I wasn't sure what it was. until later I found out with the autocal tool I got from overkill that I could check the codes. saw P0171 and P0174. Worked on my car earlier and disconnected the battery. Negative only. I took off the whole intake to make sure everything was placed correctly and fitted properly. looked for any air leaks but nothing.. reconnected battery and CEL was clear. took it for a test drive and again within 25-30 miles CEL came back on. At this point maybe its obvious I need a retune for the K&N typhoon. Not sure if anyone else has had this problem.
I have the same exact cai it hasn't given me any codes or lights and I've had it for about 13k miles now. I did also buy a jet performance maff sensor to go along with the cai. Idk if that actually works or help but it didn't give me any errors the performance is great and the sound is awesome too.
Spudsmaro is offline   Reply With Quote