Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-27-2019, 12:54 AM   #183
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
i disagree with enjoying and wanting hud. my car has it and i have it all the way up so it can’t be seen. it’s a bigger distraction than anything.

i can see the performance oriented guys getting into a base c8 simply bc of what it is. if i had more time to make laps, i’d heavily consider it. we’re smack dab in the middle of automotive history. because of things like the c8, undoubtably the last ~30 years has been (and prob will be) the best for car people.
s346k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 01:11 AM   #184
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Oldlady's car has a HUD and we both have it programmed off. My limited road race, but pretty decent autoX time says a analog speedo is all I can ever use, even when I was not "old".

I honestly don't understand the you can't enjoy a C8 base because of....... frame of reference..
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 04:22 AM   #185
VAZL1

Drives: 17 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
For whatever reason HUD and PDR are part of the LT2 package, not Z51. So you have to get both Z51 and LT2, then add magride to the Z51 package. Not sure what that costs, but probably makes the car over $70k.

oldman, you need to reread my post, lol. BTW, totally disagree about HUD, once you've had it, it would be hard to go back. Same with magride. The issue is, my SS 1LE has magride, e-LSD and HUD and the base Vette doesn't. There's no way I'd buy the Vette without those features after owning a car with them. They are features for driving enthusiasts, and not just luxury fluff.
+1 Its like going from a traditional TV to 4K, once you have it you'll kick yourself for waiting so long
Old 07-27-2019, 06:38 AM   #186
HouseStark

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
First outside of the already addressed tires the "watered down version is more than one can ever use on the street. Also neither initial version is going to be the "all out performace'.

Second we are talking about Camaros going to Vettes obviously if you have enough dollars and don't care about the cost then absolutely I understand the "need" for HUD

I have no idea what you are getting at. Obviously, this thread is above Camaro price range buyers going to a C8 and if so will this kill the Camaro, if you are in that price range you are not in the price range to afford a "car which was only creatted for lap time" and as close corally hou don't "need" HUD etc etither.

I’m confused why you’re confused
HouseStark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 07:28 AM   #187
Gen6_1Le

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1Le
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
Oldlady's car has a HUD and we both have it programmed off. My limited road race, but pretty decent autoX time says a analog speedo is all I can ever use, even when I was not "old".

I honestly don't understand the you can't enjoy a C8 base because of....... frame of reference..
I don't think the base C8 will give you as much as you think it does. The Z51 they shown at the reveal is a far different car then what you will get for sub $60k . A base Z51 would be a much better starting point for most people without leaving most of the car left on a table , and should still come in at under $70k which makes it a great bargain and more realistic number . Will performance thinking people be buying a Camaro because they can't afford a C8 worth owning i think the answer is yes . The fact that no manual is available on the C8 will move people in other directions , for some people it takes more than just looks to get into their pockets . The main reason i'm passing on the C8 is no manual and the fact of long term ownership , not cost because it is a bargain ,just not for me .
Gen6_1Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 07:37 AM   #188
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
I think you guys completely changed the thread.

OP asked if the C8 would push people to Camaro...………...or at least that's the title of the thread and OPs question.
Old 07-27-2019, 08:36 AM   #189
Road_Warrior85

Drives: IBM 2SSRS, 12 Jeep Wrangler 4door
Send a message via Yahoo to Road_Warrior85
Now yall are forgetting......

You are the weird ones.... the exception to the rules.

You talk about how unnecessary all those features are and how they do nothing to make the performance any bettter....... or how they do..... blah blah.... who needs creature comforts like leather and heated seats.... blah blah.... bluetooth doesn't make me faster... blah blah.

You are forgetting, that the very reason the Camaro is reportedly doomed, is BECAUSE CHEVY LISTENED TO YOU!
Chevy made a car that was all about the performance, at the cost of all the real world things people need their vehicle to do (aside from move from point A to point B and back again).

I can tell you are all very successful and probably all make north of 75K a year. Good on you. I don't make that much, but like you I do have the luxury of being able to have more than one vehicle................ most people don't have that luxury, and that is why the look for some of those extra features that have nothing to do with performance.
Old 07-27-2019, 09:37 AM   #190
oldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen6_1Le View Post
I don't think the base C8 will give you as much as you think it does.
Actually, it does. I don't value heated seats, bigger brakes (99.9% of the people won't exceed stock C8 brakes), e LSD vs plain LSD... et all. It is NOT worth just 10K or even just 7 K to me. BTW it looks like the trans will have the same gear set...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen6_1Le View Post

The Z51 they shown at the reveal is a far different car then what you will get for sub $60k .
Not seeing it. different tires... the spoiler was too much for me, plus not part of the package. Dunno.. The Z51 is a road race package with money spent on stiffer suspension, brakes and cooling not needed on the street.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
Old 07-27-2019, 10:43 AM   #191
Airfuel

Drives: '19 2SS M6.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
Personally I would never buy an SS without the 1LE package though. I've driven both and walked away from a 16 SS, but ended up buying an SS 1LE a few years later. It was a much better driving car IMO, even on the street.
Funny, I did the opposite.
Rode in a 1LE and decided the ride was too harsh for a car that won't see a track.
Magneride in Tour gives me a great ride and track setting gives me the speed racer feeling!

Last edited by Airfuel; 07-27-2019 at 11:57 AM.
Airfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 11:38 AM   #192
oldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseStark View Post
I’m confused why you’re confused
I'm old
Old 07-27-2019, 11:54 AM   #193
Spanky1

Drives: 2017 2SS Summit White Camaro M6
Does anyone know what the 0-60 time of the base model is without the performance package? I haven't seen it anywhere!
Spanky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 11:56 AM   #194
oldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior85 View Post
You are forgetting, that the very reason the Camaro is reportedly doomed, is BECAUSE CHEVY LISTENED TO YOU!
Actually, I've been hearing about a midengine Vette for 50 years and I thought for sure 75K and up, now that I can get one under 60K, yep completely willing to sacrifice the "needed" feature such as bigger brakes and cooling that 99.9% of the people will NEVER EVER USE. So I'm glad that I was completely WRONG on price and now the Vette is at a price point I can afford.

Quote:

Chevy made a car that was all about the performance, at the cost of all the real world things people need their vehicle to do (aside from move from point A to point B and back again).
Please, your making like this car is a 440 dart with no power brakes, power steering, or A/C. In specific the Z51 has bigger brakes.... not important, race cooling... not important, frim suspension.....not important (I'm sure the base suspension is better than my Camaro SS), e-LSD vs mechanical.... not important. An option to add magnaride (which may well come on other packages too).... not important to me, sure if I could afford the $10,000 total.. I'd probably would not anyway cause it ain't important... HUD... wow don't use it at all on the one car I have it own.

Quote:
can tell you are all very successful and probably all make north of 75K a year. Good on you.
Make more than double that and consider myself slightly above middle class and this would be the first Vette I could afford and it would be 2 years after the hype comes off and with $3500 from my GM card.. Now granted my one kid going to Washington and Lee on a $280,000 full ride scholarship "help" me make my future vette purchase. My son has a full ride at UT also on the Presidential +. So in the real world... affordability is subjective. But thanks for the ego boost.... I'm just luck I'm not stuck driving my daily beater forever (10 year old 200K mile van)...

Quote:
I don't make that much, but like you I do have the luxury of being able to have more than one vehicle................ most people don't have that luxury, and that is why the look for some of those extra features that have nothing to do with performance.
It all goes back to affordability, the point is for the Camaro plus or the base Vette. Gut feeling this is about 10% of current Camaro owners, and 25% of future Vette owners many now drive say Boxsters or were waiting on the Supra (dud).

The 10% of the current Camaro owners are probably guys that either have a ZL1 or a built Camaro and looking at the total outlay and saying hmm for $10,000 more over 5 years... I can just touch a base Vette. We don't have the luxury of saying $20,000 more or $30,000 more... That $10,000 seems like a HUGE leap for me because I have a wife and 2 of my 3 kids in college, the youngest wants to go to med school. OMG, that is like a Lotus or something...
Old 07-27-2019, 12:02 PM   #195
oldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky1 View Post
Does anyone know what the 0-60 time of the base model is without the performance package? I haven't seen it anywhere!
nope, but most of it IMO will cause the tires. The Z51 has 5 more HP because of the exhaust and this is going to be canceled out by the larger and heavier brakes and the additional cooling and the heavier if order magnaride. GM does NOT list the Z51 for 2020 as having different gear ratios... So I'm still on some or even most of the performance in a straight line will be from tire..... I need two sets on all the rides I own just because of the weather in Austin and into Dallas. Also even though GM "says" under 3.0 for the Z51, their website says 3.2 so take that as the base if you want. Once again IMO the base with similar tires will be put sub 3.0 by Joe Average within weeks of the car getting into our greedy hands... This is faster than the 3.15 for a widebody Hellcat at a prep track (all seasons but still).
Old 07-27-2019, 12:07 PM   #196
oldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airfuel View Post
Funny, I did the opposite.
Rode in a 1LE and decided the ride was too harsh for a car that won't see a track.
Magneride in Tour gives me a great ride and track setting gives me the speed racer feeling!
I got mine before the !lE was out, I did NOT order the magnaride, I thought for sure that a DSSV would come out (It did on the ZL1-!LE) which to my mind is a superior damper. In the end I did not end up roadracing or autoX my SS I went stupid overkill supercharger.

I wonder what the ride of the base C8 vs the Z51 vs the Z51 magnaride will be. I think for sure the Z51 with it performance suspension and no magnaride will be "brutal".... in comparison to the base. Just one more reason to stick to the base... cause we all know a DSSV damper will come out right?