Phastek Performance

Old 04-14-2019, 08:38 PM   #15
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by msowers22 View Post
The day was really a ton of fun! It was measured on speed not time at the end of the 1/2 mile. You did get speed at the quarter mile too. I did 9 runs and averaged between 143.5 to just over 145. I started experimenting with line lock and competition mode and it was not quite as good. I tried no nannies too, that was super squirrelly. The best (and easiest) was S mode full nannies and a nice even push to the floor over a couple seconds.

Thank you again for the advice. Its is a much different game than a 1/4 mile run.
Oh heck yeah...

I'm glad you had a great time, and the car is healthy.... Two friends of mine were there running as well... A blue-ish C6 that ran consistent speeds and a 5th Gen ZL1 Twin turbo Black (Evil - license plate) car.... Guy named Beau in the Vette and Toby in the ZL1... Both great guys....

The thing about land speed racing is it isn't as cut throat with most of the guys.... You break something, they will help you if they can....

Take what you learned this weekend and try it again at other events, or this same event next year... It's addictive...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 09:14 PM   #16
laynlo15

Drives: 2022 Lt1 A10
Sounds like fun and I hope to run one someday. I think I could run between 165 and 170 with 801 rwhp. Glad you had a good time
2022 Lt1 6.2 A10, Maggie 2300, THPSI Port Inj/10 rib, Rotofab, E, Nickey, SCOL, Griptech, RC Bandits, Hoosiers/MT 9.80@142.96 1.44 60ft, 6.34@112 707/669 RWHP/TRQ. 16SS Maggie 2650 9.41@147 1.35 60ft, 5.99@119. 16 C7 A8 10.90@128 Bolt on stuff
laynlo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 04:51 PM   #17
Jimabe

Drives: 2018 Red ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
Couple of questions....

I understand you stating there were two sessions, one in the morning and one in the afternoon, did you run both, and were you mandated to run every pass possible.... I'm just thinking it's your car, and I wouldn't let anyone tell me I had to run if the car is heat soaked.... In the Mile events I run, they run from dry track sunup time in the am, until lunch, and then again after lunch until sunset30.... Some folks tried to run every pass they could, and others set a goal and tried to reach that.... With my car, and the complexity of it, and the power level, my goal was two passes a day for three days.... If I was in a normal power range, I might have tried for maybe three a day, but not to the potential detriment of my car.... Just curious...

Next, and this is for your safety and the longevity of your car.... You may be side by side with another car on the grid, with a start tree.... but there is no clock and no need to launch with the lights.... My car launched with all the rapidity of a battleship in mud, and most any other car would out run me off the line, but I'll pass 99 percent of all other cars by the 1/4 to 1/2 mile... I also know my car can get really really loose... and... I've seen others in relatively stock powered cars, or lightly modified cars that couldn't drive for crap, so there is no way I would run side by side with another car.... Fortunately, the Standing Mile events are one lane, one car.... and so I didn't have to worry about others.... Having said all of that, why not let the other car take off with the lights and head down track, and when it's a safe distance out, then launch your car and know you are safe.... If the other car loses it, you have plenty of time to stop, and it's not like you are racing them, you are racing an inanimate speed trap....

Yes, our event was in am and in afternoon. We didn't have to go down every run for each session but almost all of us did. We'd take turns going down in pairs, side by side, wait at end for all to race down, then ferry back to do it again. We all opened hoods, etc to cool as much but can't really deal with consecutive runs like that from a heat standpoint. Yes did cross my mind, what if the other guy comes in my lane, but at end of day, i was OK with it. In all but one case, i was the guy out front... Was cool just to get to full speed pass a 1/2 mile. From competitive part, sucked from standpoint knowing that your first run was going to be your fastest...
Mods: RotoFab Big Gulp, 2" Kooks, Metco 9.1" pulley, Green belt, 103 NW TB, Tune, WeapX Boost Chiller, ADM Coolant reservoir, Jokerz Full Tilt SC Port, Elite E2X Can, Corsa Sport Catback, LED markers, 1LE Tail lights, HO reverse LED's, Red SC Lid, Forgestar 17x11/MickeyT Street R's for Drags
Jimabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 05:20 PM   #18
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimabe View Post
Yes, our event was in am and in afternoon. We didn't have to go down every run for each session but almost all of us did. We'd take turns going down in pairs, side by side, wait at end for all to race down, then ferry back to do it again. We all opened hoods, etc to cool as much but can't really deal with consecutive runs like that from a heat standpoint. Yes did cross my mind, what if the other guy comes in my lane, but at end of day, i was OK with it. In all but one case, i was the guy out front... Was cool just to get to full speed pass a 1/2 mile. From competitive part, sucked from standpoint knowing that your first run was going to be your fastest...
Cool deal, you had fun, car is good and you're safe.... Sounds like a great day....

I'm done actually competing in land speed racing, as I'm selling off my 2010 2SS and looking to buy a ZL1 1LE...I set a goal, and accomplished that.... Now I'll be the newb trying to learn how to go moderately fast.... I never wanted to turn at speed....I'm looking forward to it, and will be crazy asking questions of those that turn for fun....

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

Old 04-15-2019, 08:10 PM   #19
GoneBoy

Drives: '17 ZL1
Quote:
The day was really a ton of fun! It was measured on speed not time at the end of the 1/2 mile. You did get speed at the quarter mile too. I did 9 runs and averaged between 143.5 to just over 145. I started experimenting with line lock and competition mode and it was not quite as good. I tried no nannies too, that was super squirrelly. The best (and easiest) was S mode full nannies and a nice even push to the floor over a couple seconds.

Thank you again for the advice. Its is a much different game than a 1/4 mile run.
sse 4 2ss gave you some good pointers. I was down there with you at Ocala the whole weekend. Like you, I was testing a number of different things. My buddy who was also running his zl1 upped his mph by 6 when he switched from nannies off to nannies on. I followed suit and went sport mode/nannies on and increased my mph by almost 4...on a very non-perfect run. . It looks like all 3 of us had our best results as such. I know every strip is different, but I'll never run nannies off at Ocala again.
GoneBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 08:35 AM   #20
Jimabe

I will try that as well this year. Never did a run with all nannies off...
Will report back....
Mods: RotoFab Big Gulp, 2" Kooks, Metco 9.1" pulley, Green belt, 103 NW TB, Tune, WeapX Boost Chiller, ADM Coolant reservoir, Jokerz Full Tilt SC Port, Elite E2X Can, Corsa Sport Catback, LED markers, 1LE Tail lights, HO reverse LED's, Red SC Lid, Forgestar 17x11/MickeyT Street R's for Drags
Old 04-16-2019, 12:48 PM   #21
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
I will try that as well this year. Never did a run with all nannies off...
Will report back....
... please post cameras at strategic places... could be fun......

Whoa whooaaa whooooooaaaaaaaa... whew...

Quick funny from a Texas Mile event... Father daughter team from Montana... Dodge demon, or devil, or hellcat of hairball or something... lime green two door, pretty fast.... usually going right at 200 mph...

Daughter is the driver, dad is the wrench... daughter can drive the hell out’a the thing... Dad decides on a whim he wants to pilot it for a pass or two, try to license up...

He suits up, puts on his brain bucket, straps in and drives it around the grid into the burnout box... dumps the clutch and kills it... starts it back up and managed about two revolutions of spinning the tires, pulls up and stages...

He is given the go ahead signal and launches... he finally got the tire spin deal he tried for earlier... so, he hangs it out in first gear, bouncing off the rev limiter for a time, then grabs second... WOT, dumps the clutch, and hereeee we go... slides her ass to the left, he corrects it back to the right... slides her butt to the right, and he corrects her back to the left... lots of whoa’s and whoawhooaaa’s arising from the crowd... she slides back out to the left and he corrects her back to the right, one more time to the left and he hard ground loops her to the right as he attempts to correct it... ends up launching (he finally stopped spinning and got traction) the car off the right side of the track, still at WOT mind you, and corrects again with the end result being a huge cloud of dust, numerous circle marks in the dirt/grass, before he finally lifted and stopped... and a really dirty car with lots of crowd laughter...

He pulls back around into the grid, puts his fire suit and helmet on the golf cart, tells his daughter to get her stuff ready, and slowly starts wiping the car down... instant legend and about ten of us ended up helping clean the car for her next pass... lots of laughs and a shared drink that evening...

Old 04-23-2019, 10:31 AM   #22
msowers22

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Convertable
Here is a video from the VW Golf dash cam and me on the left.

This guy was running 35psi of boost!

https://youtu.be/P6_T5aSgS28
msowers22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 01:20 PM   #23
Jimabe

fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
... please post cameras at strategic places... could be fun......

Whoa whooaaa whooooooaaaaaaaa... whew...

Quick funny from a Texas Mile event... Father daughter team from Montana... Dodge demon, or devil, or hellcat of hairball or something... lime green two door, pretty fast.... usually going right at 200 mph...

Daughter is the driver, dad is the wrench... daughter can drive the hell out’a the thing... Dad decides on a whim he wants to pilot it for a pass or two, try to license up...

He suits up, puts on his brain bucket, straps in and drives it around the grid into the burnout box... dumps the clutch and kills it... starts it back up and managed about two revolutions of spinning the tires, pulls up and stages...

He is given the go ahead signal and launches... he finally got the tire spin deal he tried for earlier... so, he hangs it out in first gear, bouncing off the rev limiter for a time, then grabs second... WOT, dumps the clutch, and hereeee we go... slides her ass to the left, he corrects it back to the right... slides her butt to the right, and he corrects her back to the left... lots of whoa’s and whoawhooaaa’s arising from the crowd... she slides back out to the left and he corrects her back to the right, one more time to the left and he hard ground loops her to the right as he attempts to correct it... ends up launching (he finally stopped spinning and got traction) the car off the right side of the track, still at WOT mind you, and corrects again with the end result being a huge cloud of dust, numerous circle marks in the dirt/grass, before he finally lifted and stopped... and a really dirty car with lots of crowd laughter...

He pulls back around into the grid, puts his fire suit and helmet on the golf cart, tells his daughter to get her stuff ready, and slowly starts wiping the car down... instant legend and about ten of us ended up helping clean the car for her next pass... lots of laughs and a shared drink that evening...
Damn, the mile sounds fun! I was a bit Leary of doing the 1/2, wonder what speed would get in the mile?

We had one guy in a 1,000+hp corvette Z06 that got pretty squirrely on launch but he knew how to drive. Would lay down impressively long rubber through first and second...
I didn't want to line up against him though as i didn't want him in my lane at any point!

Yes, looking to add a go-pro mount to add to the PDR footage. I only lost one race out of 12 to a early 2000's vette w/claimed 800's RWHP. He got me off the line by 3-4 lengths, then i stayed with him rest of way.
Old 04-23-2019, 03:42 PM   #24
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDBill View Post
I'm curious what the responses will be but with traction control off imo you're just going to roast the rear tires
Maybe not, TC has to be off. ALL nannies off. And Op, you will have to see/feel/hear/ask watchers how much throttle or slight tire loading you can do depending on the track prep. TP 22-25 PSI no lower on stock tires. No big burnout, just spin a bit to get the water off.

On a stock ZL1 if you can get Ok 60's,you can do almost as well as you would with DRs given the GM built in bog. So if you get into the mid 1.7 60's you are doing great.
Old 04-23-2019, 08:56 PM   #25
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
Damn, the mile sounds fun! I was a bit Leary of doing the 1/2, wonder what speed would get in the mile?

We had one guy in a 1,000+hp corvette Z06 that got pretty squirrely on launch but he knew how to drive. Would lay down impressively long rubber through first and second...
I didn't want to line up against him though as i didn't want him in my lane at any point!

Yes, looking to add a go-pro mount to add to the PDR footage. I only lost one race out of 12 to a early 2000's vette w/claimed 800's RWHP. He got me off the line by 3-4 lengths, then i stayed with him rest of way.
My launches were nothing resembling squirrelly until about 60 mph, then it was just as likely to be squirrelly for the entire remainder of the track as my record pass was.... She was still sliding her butt side to side at over 200 mph... I actually have some video of that.... but it's a moderately long video....

What was your half speed and I can get you in the ballpark, depending on heat soak and gearing.... Blower cars tend to fall of on the big end, as do Turbo cars with inefficient intercooling, where all of the timing is pulled....

When I first started this kind of racing, I was in the 165-170 half mile, with 3.07 gearing, and 195-202 at the mile..... Some cars run out of power, others run out of gear, and most of the rest run out of real estate....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
Maybe not, TC has to be off. ALL nannies off. And Op, you will have to see/feel/hear/ask watchers how much throttle or slight tire loading you can do depending on the track prep. TP 22-25 PSI no lower on stock tires. No big burnout, just spin a bit to get the water off.

On a stock ZL1 if you can get Ok 60's,you can do almost as well as you would with DRs given the GM built in bog. So if you get into the mid 1.7 60's you are doing great.
What the heck is a "watcher" going to be able to tell you about anything, other than one car ran great, another ran like crap....

First off, there is no track prep.... This isn't a drag strip.... These are run on runways.... and you want the tires fully inflated with the rears 2-4 lbs max, less than the fronts....Fronts are max load pressure... Turn all the nannies off and the car almost universally will spin like a big dog and create a cloud of smoke with the net effect of going nowhere fast....

The burnout depends on the tires.... Drag radials, and road racing slicks can take a little more than street tires... Usually just knocking the dust off is sufficient, though I usually had the best results with a moderately decent smoke show.... If there is any water, then the racing is shut down... There is no water box.... Again, this isn't a drag strip....

There isn't a 60 foot either.... 1.7, 2.0 or 3.5.... In most events like this, there is a 1/4 mile speed, and the half speed.... In standing miles there is usually a 1/4, 1/2 and 1 mile mph.... There is no timing whatsoever....

Old 04-23-2019, 09:02 PM   #26
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
Here is a video from the VW Golf dash cam and me on the left.

This guy was running 35psi of boost!

https://youtu.be/P6_T5aSgS28
Oh hell yeah.... Nice steady hard acceleration, smooth run.... Very nice.... and you won the pass.... Most excellent....

Ill warn you, it is very addictive, and I wasn't aware of what your car was, other than a ZL1.... Your creed points dropped off a little when I saw it was, A) a vert, and B) Orange.... and his car is a damned automatic point and shoot car.... I still gotta drive mine... lmao...

The 5th Gen record holder for all models, is a 2010 SS Orange Vert, owned by Mike Keisling.... He is the one I took the record from, and then he won it back... A number of folks are knocking on the door but he still holds it for now.... I haven't run in almost 2.5 years due to health issues, and my car is fully capable of taking it back and putting it out of his reach, but I'm done now... I'm on disability and 57 years of age, no more racing for me....

I went ahead and posted my record run at the Texas Mile, and this is also a tribute and thanks video to all those that supported me through the years.... No one has to watch any of it, much less all of it.... if you do, then thanks.... It was a battle getting there....

Couple of things.... There is a video section looking out the front glass, and you see the sky tilting side to side, from the ass end sliding side to side....... there is a video looking out the back and you can see the tire tracks moving left to right is short sharp darts.... This included taking place at 200 plus from the 1/2 to the 3/4 mile and beyond... On leaving the start line, I'm about 60 mph before the smoke boils from the tailpipes and the dance begins.... About the time you realize it has started its over, slamming into the rev limiter, 9000 rpm in this case, and you are trying to grab second.... second doesn't last much longer....