#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-25-2019, 12:16 PM   #1
camaroras

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Pads sticking after rain?

Hello,

I’ve been experiencing something weird with my car (2018 SS 1LE, all stock with just track prep) and not much turns up when I search it. My brakes (seems like the front ones, not sure if both sides or not) seem to “stick” some times and it takes a bit of force from the car to break free. I’ve narrowed it down to only happening if it was left out when it was wet out (so perhaps oxidation on the rotor?), and seems to be worse the longer I leave the car out. By worse, I mean it takes more force to break free and on some of the worse cases, I can hear/feel a rub on the rotor (with each rotation, not constant. probably in the spot it was stuck) for the first minute or two or driving and then it goes away. Ive found a few things online about this happening with high performance brakes, but I haven’t been able to find much. It’s not too concerning when it happens after leaving the car out for the work day, it breaks free easily with just releasing the clutch at idle. However, the worst it’s been was recently after leaving my car out for 10 days while on vacation. I had to rev up to 1.5-2k and release the clutch somewhat aggressively to break free. The car has 11k miles and about 2.5 hours of track time. It also snowed a bit and my area salts the roads if that has anything to do with it.

Any ideas? Should I be concerned? Thanks!
camaroras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 05:14 PM   #2
sadpanda

Drives: 2014 ATS 2.0T 6MT
Sounds pretty normal to me. High carbon rotors and semi metallic pads will do this over night with rain. Ceramic pads don't get stuck like the semi metallics but the rotors will still feel off until the rust gets scrubbed off.
sadpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 10:01 AM   #3
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
If possible, I would suggest you try to heat up your brakes before parking after they are wet. Those places where the pad stuck to the rotor will have altered surface chemistry due to the corrosion. This can become a high spot on the rotor and lead to worse problems with disc thickness variation down the road.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 10:03 AM   #4
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
Yup, happens after you wash the car too.

Ride brakes for few feet and it cleans up the "noise"

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 10:54 AM   #5
ToeKnee Sea

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
yep happens to mine too. I've found when parking overnight if I do not engage the parking brake and leave it in gear instead when the car is wet, it doesn't happen the next morning.
ToeKnee Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 11:22 AM   #6
ctrlz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeKnee Sea View Post
yep happens to mine too. I've found when parking overnight if I do not engage the parking brake and leave it in gear instead when the car is wet, it doesn't happen the next morning.
I had a front caliper stick once after a wash, and it left a clear impression. The pads must "float" very close to the rotor surface when not engaged.
The parking brake is a separate internal shoe/drum configuration on the rear rotors only. The brake pads are not applied when the parking brake is engaged.
Old 04-12-2024, 02:42 PM   #7
Thestormoverkrynn

Drives: Camaro Zl1
You guys aren't going to believe my situation

So my seat died, fuse went, took it to the dealership to have it replaced under warranty. Had to drive it in the rain. Left it with them, they fixed the seat, got my car back drove it home, parked it in the garage.. Put the emergency brake on and left it in gear like i normally do. Stupid pad somehow got super heated and bonded to the rotor.. Now the stealership wants 4600$ for new pads, new rotors... And they advised me there is a cooldown procedure to drive it in the rain... A ten minute drive to my house... Hardly used the brakes its a manual... i just can't believe it.... I'm starting to suspect they took it for a drive in the rain and got the brakes over heated.... Arguing now with the warranty people .... But i suspect i won't get anywhere.... Imagine a brake pad BONDS to the rotor.... Ridiculous imo this is a manufacturer's deffect.... Useless!

Andrew

Last edited by Thestormoverkrynn; 04-12-2024 at 03:13 PM.
Thestormoverkrynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 02:50 PM   #8
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thestormoverkrynn View Post
So my seat died, fuse went, took it to the dealership to have it replaced under warranty. Had to drive it in the rain. Left it with them, they fixed the seat, got my car back drove it home, parked it in the garage.. Put the emergency brake on and left it in gear like i normally do. Stupid pad somehow got super heated and bonded to the rotor.. Now the stealership wants 4600$ for new pads, new rotors... And they advised me there is a cooldown procedure to drive it in the rain... A ten minute drive to my house... Hardly used the brakes its a manual... i just can't believe it.... I'm starting to suspect they took it for a drive in the rain and got the brakes over heated....

Andrew
It's quite hard to believe that the pads, let alone the rotors, would heat up so much on a normal drive in the wet. Have you tried to break the pads away from the rotors with some torque? Or did the pads disintegrate already when you tried? Even if yes, I don't see why your rotors would not be usable...

Also, if necessary, you can do this brake job yourself, you can buy new rotors and pads for half that money, if that.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 08:37 PM   #9
Thestormoverkrynn

Yeah i know i just need a rotor now to get it out of there is what i'm being told... like i said i'm going to ask for pictures. cuz i can't believe it, none of my friends have ever heard of the pad bonding to the rotor.... It seems excessive like something is going on with the caliper...
Old 04-13-2024, 08:24 AM   #10
ctrlz

I don't think the brake pads "bonded" to the rotor. Also, I believe the ZL1 uses the cable pull parking brake, which activates a mini shoe system within the rear rotors. If something breaks on that I can see how it might seize, but it should not be hard to get off.
Old 04-16-2024, 09:18 AM   #11
Thestormoverkrynn

Update wrote an open letter to Mary Barra and the general manager of the dealership... (Still haven't received pictures of fused rotor yet from said dealership)...
Also posted on twitter, GM messaged me there and was of no help.

Hi Mary,

You don't know me from adam, however if you have a minute i would like to tell you a story about a long standing customer of yours!! ME! I have been a faithful GM owner since the day i bought my first cavalier z22 in 1994. Since then i have owned a grandprix gtp, g6 gxp, camaro ss, camaro zl1 1le, and silverado z71.. Probably not a lot of money to you, or to your corporation in the grand scheme of things. But to me, I have faithfully spent my hard earned money at your establishments since 1994 ... I would estimate almost 400,000$ canadian spent at your facilities over the course of my lifetime. Mary I'm not rich by any means. But i've spent this money on GM products because of reliability first and foremost, second because your stuff is easy to modify, third and i don't know why, but I LOVE GM. I make fun of Ford's daily on the forums, quote from me " Why did ford put handwarmers on their tail lights? So when you're pushing it home u can keep ur hands warm!" Turns out joke was on me... I recently bought a 2021 zl1 1le because i loved my 2019 SS... The car was used but still under warranty. Brought it into 1 of your dealerships... Gateway Chevrolet to be exact for minor warranty issue, seat would not move. They replaced a fuse and sent me on my way. It happened to be raining that day all day, drove the car no more then 10 mins from the dealer ship to my house and parked it for 2 days, i have video time stamped proof. The car sat in the garage for 2 days i didn't touch it. Somehow the brake pad fused to the rotor. Car wouldn't move.. Went on the Camaro6 forums found this https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...6#post11418106

Proof that this is an ongoing issue with the camaro 6 and that i'm not the only 1 suffering sticky brakes. Only in my case pad fused to the rotor. How i have no idea. Take the thing to gateway only to be told, brakes were super heated you must've been racing in the rain. Which is complete malarky. Time stamped proof 10 minutes from the dealership to my house... And if the case is the car should not be driven in the rain then why did they not cancel my appointment when they saw it was raining? Mary this is a track car, i'm not going to lie to you, have i been to the track with it ? yes ... Did i race on the day in question? absolutely not. Again i have video proof. So if these brakes were super heated it was not by me or anything unusual i did to the car. Now the dealership or should i say stealership wants to charge me 4700 $ for brake pads and front rotors. Mary they are claiming the price is 1300 a rotor. At this time Mary i'd like to bring your attention to this link https://parts.tubmanchev.com/p/Cadil.../84271643.html 1 of your dealerships... for 1100 cad.... If i look online i can get them anywhere from 700$ ....

Mary help me here I feel like a dealership is scamming 1 of your loyal customers. I feel like this should be covered under warranty due manufacturer defect. Failing that the dealership should cover, because they made the appointment on a day it was raining and failed to advise me of the risks of driving the car in the rain. We are talking about a camaro, that has under 10k kilometers ... You can't say this is excessive driving .. Failing all this, I feel like GM should just cover for the inconvenience for the risk factor, if this had happened while driving, we'd be having another conversation. For the fact that i've spent over 400 000 canadian at your dealerships here in canada over the years.

Mary i can't tell you how upset I am over all of this..

Yours truly

Andrew XXX7
XX XXXXX dr XXXXXXXXX
Your loyal customer since 1994

ps

1 more thing 1 want to add in all of this, because i've heard this excuse before, claiming that a customer spending over 400 000 $ with us is not a reason for us to fix your brakes for free, especially when ur disputing how it happened.... IS also malarky and will only push me to Ford...(notice i didn't say dodge LOL) if only to see how bad their customer experience is...
[IMG]
https://kimo.by/sLnXz
- https://kimo.by/MP0aA
- https://kimo.by/IIabz
- https://kimo.by/8SsOE

I'm not sure why the link downloads immediately instead of posting the pics but .... they are only pictures of a rotor which looks like could be machined to me, and pads that are only half used with a huge chunk missing out of it.... I bet no one has even checked the calipers if they are operating properly. I know for a fact it had brake fluid... Is there a tool or a test ? for the calipers? Anyone know? They better not ask me to pick it up on a day that's raining... that's all i gotta say, or store it outside...

Last edited by Thestormoverkrynn; 04-16-2024 at 10:05 AM.