Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 01-29-2024, 07:24 PM   #1
dfwcowboy

Drives: 2024 ZL1 M6, 1969 Cessna Skylane
Parking brake doesn't automatically release

It doesn't happen every time, but about 1 out of 3 times the parking brake refuses to release when I let the clutch out. Never happened on my M6 RS.

Has anyone else ever experienced this? If so what was the fix action?
dfwcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 07:52 PM   #2
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
One thing I notice on my 24SS1LE is after I release the brake and I start out of the garage they pop like they are letting loose. Happens whenever it sits overnight not so much on short trips.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 10:18 PM   #3
olrocker

Drives: People crazy with my sexiness
It may be electric but there still may be components that need lubrication or adjustment in the mechanism.
Sharkskin/Light gray
Moonroof/Navi/NPP/Mag Ride/Red Brake Calipers
Gray painted split spoke wheels
Illuminated footwells/illuminated bowtie
olrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 07:30 AM   #4
scott_0

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue Metallic SS 1le
hold up, wait a minute...I just bought my 18 1le in October, so you're telling me, I dont have to actually fiddle with the button, when I'm ready to drive off?
scott_0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 08:19 AM   #5
olrocker

Drives: People crazy with my sexiness
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_0 View Post
hold up, wait a minute...I just bought my 18 1le in October, so you're telling me, I dont have to actually fiddle with the button, when I'm ready to drive off?
Yes it has an automatic release. If you have an automatic transmission it releases automatically when shifted into drive or reverse. If you have a manual it releases automatically as you lift off the clutch and accelerate in gear.
Sharkskin/Light gray
Moonroof/Navi/NPP/Mag Ride/Red Brake Calipers
Gray painted split spoke wheels
Illuminated footwells/illuminated bowtie
olrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 09:02 AM   #6
speedyink1

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS 1LE 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpevans View Post
One thing I notice on my 24SS1LE is after I release the brake and I start out of the garage they pop like they are letting loose. Happens whenever it sits overnight not so much on short trips.
That seems wrong.. Mine can sits for weeks and still not need to pop to let loose.

I noticed the auto brake off feature, but I dunno, probably just me, but I prefer using the damn button
speedyink1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 10:00 AM   #7
Christian1LE

Drives: 2004 BMW 330CI, 2022 1SS 1LE
Mine always feels weird, sometimes it pops out and sometimes I feel like it's stuck and doesnt let me move(I never try to push through it though). I have a Manual. I normally always unlock manually with the button now.
Christian1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 10:36 AM   #8
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwcowboy View Post
about 1 out of 3 times the parking brake refuses to release when I let the clutch out. Never happened on my M6 RS.
I have 2SS and use the parking brake twice per day. never any issues. I manually set and release with the button. No hills in south jersey so I have no real need for any auto-release functionality, though i have occasionally encountered it when I didn't move the electric switch enough.

SS with the brembros has cable style parking brake system. I believe the stock RS has the screw-type piston system.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 02:17 PM   #9
bandier
Got mine!

Drives: 2021 LT1 RS - Orange Crush
I have a '21 LT1 Auto, when the parking brake is engaged and I'm ready to go, I just give a little gas and she breaks free. It does not release when putting into drive or reverse as someone said in a previous post, but releases when giving some gas after putting into drive or reverse.
Old 01-30-2024, 02:45 PM   #10
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
Have you been having wetter than usual weather? As we know brake discs will show a little rust after sitting for even a short while when put up wet. If the rear brake pads are pressed up against it at that time, they may be a little reluctant to let go. I think the "pop" some folks are experiencing is normal.
I know on my manual if I forget to release the brake, the car will "remind" me it's still set with reluctance to pull away when I'm letting out the clutch. If I start to go a second time without releasing, she'll go without issue (self-release), but that's something I try not to do cuz I'm conscientious (anal) about clutch/drivetrain wear and try not to use 1 more RPM than necessary to pull away smoothly without stalling. Been driving manuals for 50 years and I still don't want to look like an amateur!
OP maybe your clutch sensitivity is just getting better? But if she just won't let go, I'd take the time to release and take her to the doctor- I mean dealer.
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 03:38 PM   #11
haggler

Drives: '23 2SS RSblue 6MT, sold '19 ND2
It will release on on clutch out and throttle, but I dont like the feeling as there is a bit of delay from the release and it seems like the car will stall. I always manually disengage the e-brake so its routine.

5-6-22:1100,
7-19-22: 3000,
8-3-22: TPW 8/15/22,
10-4-22: ETA 10/13/2022
10-15-22 6000
haggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 05:17 PM   #12
Anjilslaire

Drives: 2021 3LT RS A10
I was today years old when I learned this, thanks
Anjilslaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 08:50 PM   #13
dfwcowboy

Drives: 2024 ZL1 M6, 1969 Cessna Skylane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventmaster View Post
Have you been having wetter than usual weather? As we know brake discs will show a little rust after sitting for even a short while when put up wet. If the rear brake pads are pressed up against it at that time, they may be a little reluctant to let go. I think the "pop" some folks are experiencing is normal.
I know on my manual if I forget to release the brake, the car will "remind" me it's still set with reluctance to pull away when I'm letting out the clutch. If I start to go a second time without releasing, she'll go without issue (self-release), but that's something I try not to do cuz I'm conscientious (anal) about clutch/drivetrain wear and try not to use 1 more RPM than necessary to pull away smoothly without stalling. Been driving manuals for 50 years and I still don't want to look like an amateur!
OP maybe your clutch sensitivity is just getting better? But if she just won't let go, I'd take the time to release and take her to the doctor- I mean dealer.
The car is garaged and I don’t drive it in the rain, so I don’t think that is it. It also does it randomly, as in leaving the house it may not do it, but then does it an hour later when leaving my destination.
dfwcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 09:04 AM   #14
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
I think you have the cable release system. I think a good start would be to put this on a lift, or back it up on ramps (chock the front wheels). Then watch and listen to the linkage as someone engages and disengages the brake. You may have something binding, which I think is most likely. if not the cable, then maybe in one of the rear hubs. Hopefully you can tell which one to pull.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote