Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics

Phastek Performance

Old 01-14-2024, 09:02 PM   #1
FactoryMatt

Drives: '22 2SS 1LE
The Man speaks on street E85 reliability

sludge @ 4m

&fs=1"> &fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="855" height="505">
FactoryMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 08:37 AM   #2
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
That video is misleading... The sludge is from lack of maintenance and or the engine not getting up to operating temperature to burn off moisture. He claims 2000 miles the oil was changed but I don't believe it. Oil doesn't get that nasty in a healthy engine if changed every 2000 miles. I have been running E85 since 2017 and my engine nor any other engine I have seen looks like that after extended E85 use.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 10:42 AM   #3
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I'm fairly certain that the OEMs wouldn't be supporting E85 in some of their products if there was a plague of problems as this thread seems to imply.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 11:23 AM   #4
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
At the beginning of the video he mentions that they used an oil additive, but never said which additive they used. I wonder if the additive caused or contributed to the sludge.
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 11:30 AM   #5
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
I'm fairly certain that the OEMs wouldn't be supporting E85 in some of their products if there was a plague of problems as this thread seems to imply.
When automakers set up cars for E85, they make a lot of internal changes to help the engine survive E85 use. Biggest amongst them that I am aware of is special hardening of the valves and valve seats to mitigate corrosion. I know there are also some things that GM does with fuel tanks and fuel pumps to prepare them for E85 but I’m not really dialed in on what those things are.

FWIW - since GM produces a lot of trucks and SUVs that are FlexFuel capable, just about all, if not all, small block V8 are FlexFuel prepped (hardened valves and seats) Not certain about the fuel pumps and fuel tanks though. I run E85 almost exclusively on my Camaro.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 12:28 PM   #6
FactoryMatt

i'm no expert, but he does mention increase wator vapor creation. if you're not burning it off sufficiently, i don't see what you could possibly "design" differently to mitigate the harm it causes. IOW, it seems like a general rule of thumb not to put around on E85 regardless of how well your lines and such can handle the corrosive properties of it simply because of the add'l water.

fair point on the oil additive not being mentioned. i dont have reason to doubt him on the oil changes, though his daughter was driving it and probably lugging the hell out of it.

iono tho
Old 01-18-2024, 11:43 AM   #7
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
But it's On Youtube so it must be true.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 11:46 AM   #8
FactoryMatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
But it's On Youtube so it must be true.

motoiq has been around forever. they're very credible. i have no doubt it *is* true....given his premises. there are variables, to be sure, that prevent his experience from being universal, but it's a valuable data point nonetheless. i.e. its probably not a good idea to DD w/ short trips on E85. at least, that's my takeaway. i'd totally love to hear what equipment the LT1 has that invalidates that general takeaway.
Old 01-18-2024, 11:53 AM   #9
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FactoryMatt View Post
motoiq has been around forever. they're very credible. i have no doubt it *is* true....given his premises. there are variables, to be sure, that prevent his experience from being universal, but it's a valuable data point nonetheless. i.e. its probably not a good idea to DD w/ short trips on E85. at least, that's my takeaway. i'd totally love to hear what equipment the LT1 has that invalidates that general takeaway.
I agree with King on this.

I would have wanted to see that engine disassembled before the test.

I expect to see the same thing due to operating conditions, service intervals and other factors that would produce the same amount of sludge.

The high compression in the LT Works extremely well with E-85.

Ring seal, is a big factor on oil contamination along with PCV efficiency.

Last edited by JANNETTYRACING; 01-20-2024 at 08:51 AM.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 01:39 AM   #10
ZL1C7

Drives: 2023 SS 1LE 10SPD/2015 SS 427 Man
I have seen ugly oil on cars that we have built and get moved around the shop often over a long period of time. This is almost certainly a result of not reaching operating temperature. Depending on driving distance and weather condition some cars seem to require oil changes every 2k miles. Coyote Mustangs will have fuel pump failure if you don't put a fuel lubricant in the tank. Some have even reported high pressure pump and injector failure. If a Ford dealer is made aware of E85 use they will void all fuel system related warrenty claims.
Old 02-15-2024, 03:02 PM   #11
FactoryMatt

interesting. did not know that. makes sense.
Old 02-16-2024, 07:26 AM   #12
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1C7 View Post
I have seen ugly oil on cars that we have built and get moved around the shop often over a long period of time. This is almost certainly a result of not reaching operating temperature. Depending on driving distance and weather condition some cars seem to require oil changes every 2k miles. Coyote Mustangs will have fuel pump failure if you don't put a fuel lubricant in the tank. Some have even reported high pressure pump and injector failure. If a Ford dealer is made aware of E85 use they will void all fuel system related warrenty claims.
Where are you in Sacramento? You said you have built cars - who are you, out of curiosity?

Regardless - I use E' fuel stabilizer, and hopefully it does what it says it does.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 01:07 AM   #13
ZL1C7

Drives: 2023 SS 1LE 10SPD/2015 SS 427 Man
I'm semi-retired but have a shop ZMOD/Zehring Motorsports in Rancho Cordova. I have a dyno jet 224LC and tune late model GM and Ford. Spent many years racing 10inch tire drag cars, fastest streetcar series PSCA/WCHA/Vegas Streetcar Super nationals before street outlaws was popular. We won 8 of 10 championships and were the first to into the 7's at over 200MPH at 3400#'s on a 10 inch tire. Also went 5.88 261 in a twin turbo 69 Camaro. Here is an embarrassing video where I got caught sleeping at the tree but set the record in a final round 20k to win race.
If your ever in the area shoot me a message and feel free to stop by.
Old 02-17-2024, 08:05 AM   #14
Megahurtz
Snackbar Tuning

Drives: 2023 SGM ZL1
That video is very misleading and pretty much BS.