Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-29-2018, 09:29 AM   #127
keon718nyc

Drives: Challenger SP Shaker/Arcadia Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggsauce View Post
This should be a poll thread. I'm interested in what the percentage of users are who have this problem.

The % that have it would be so high it may break the polls LOL! Shudder is most common problem now it seems with the A8. I thought the rear diff topped the charts.
keon718nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 09:30 AM   #128
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim79 View Post
hey i was just wondering i had the shudder at about 4000 miles took it in they said they would do a flush that should fix it but if it dont bring back in and they would change the torque converter well the flush didn't work took it back in they called and said the ordered a torque converter for it it would be ready monday this was thursday i was expecting a call on monday never got one i was too bust to call so tuesday i call them the said gm said not to change torque converter that they are coming out with a perm fixed 1st q 2019 that i just have to deal with it tell then. kinda pissed me off but ok whatever so i looked all over gm site i dont see anything this have any of you guys heard anything
This is the rumor that is going around. Quite a few people on here have reported the same thing. 1st quarter of '19, some type of "solid fix" coming. Nothing has been publicly stated from GM, not type of TSB or recall yet, only dealers telling people this. We shall see!

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 09:32 AM   #129
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by keon718nyc View Post
The % that have it would be so high it may break the polls LOL! Shudder is most common problem now it seems with the A8. I thought the rear diff topped the charts.
The rear diff groan would only spike the polls from October to April during cold weather! lol...but seriously, come on with these widespread issues GM, get us a fix for both!

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 09:45 PM   #130
wwiiavfan

Drives: 2017 1SS Hyper Blue
If a reprogramming is the fix, what in the heck is taking so long? Reprogramming has got to be a heck of a lot easier than flushing fluids and swapping TC’s...and cheaper from a warranty standpoint. So if that was the fix they would have done it long ago. We may be in for a long battle of GM waiting us out on the warranty. 😒
wwiiavfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 10:07 PM   #131
ChickenPoop
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 Plum Crazy Scat Pack Charger
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwiiavfan View Post
If a reprogramming is the fix, what in the heck is taking so long? Reprogramming has got to be a heck of a lot easier than flushing fluids and swapping TC’s...and cheaper from a warranty standpoint. So if that was the fix they would have done it long ago. We may be in for a long battle of GM waiting us out on the warranty. 😒
Only thing is my power train warranty is for 6 years or 100,000 miles. That's a lot of flushes and torque converters.
ChickenPoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 12:11 AM   #132
pcdoc

Drives: 2017 50th RS Convert
Looks like I'll be living with this for a while. Haven't even got 500 miles on it yet and already had it in to the dealer for the shudder. Showed them the TCB's and they drove it with their test machine on it. Didn't see the rpm fluctuate like they had seen on others with the problem so didn't suspect TC. They did get it to happen at 1400 rpm. They blamed it mostly on the V6 lugging. Also said that GM was working on a fix for sometime next year. I'll probably take it back again after 1500 miles or so if it gets any worse. Haven't noticed it as much driving in Sport mode.

Love the car. Want to keep it for a long time and hand it down to my kids. Wife and I got married 50 years ago and she brought a brand new 67 Camaro with her. Thought I'd get us a 50th wedding anniversary present.

Have the same A8 transmission on my 2016 Stingray and have no issues at all.

Good luck to us all............
pcdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 08:06 AM   #133
chozn4service

Drives: 2016 SS w/2SS A8 Blue Velvet
Quote:
I had a 1982 Z28 and it was a POS! Car looked great but it was a dog! Every time I’d go out in it, never failed that the car would just shut off and coast to a stop. Always happened at the most inopportune time like on the highway, out on a date with a sweet babe or cruising. Never could get it replicated at Dan Young Chevrolet and I had it in numerous times. Finally I wrote Detroit and got a response and a team to meet me at the service department. The car was fixed and turned out to be a vapor locked that occurred when the car got hot and remedied itself after cooling. I got apologies from GM or Chevy and all was good after that. The car looked great with things I had done astetically but mechanically was $hit, but I was told by GM that because I had issues with the car and brought it in prior to warranty running its term, it was extended or that particular incident would still be covered even after the warranty was expired. Now that’s what I was told then, so I’m curious if GM/Chevy will be honorable to its loyal following. Somehow I believe they will. This is something that could kill their reputation and brand, so I believe they’ll do right by us.
Old 11-01-2018, 11:51 AM   #134
ItsChristianInHD

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT RS 3.6L
Quote:
I thought the same thing man.
ItsChristianInHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 12:07 PM   #135
crosive

Drives: 18 zl1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsChristianInHD View Post
I thought the same thing man.
zeroing out the slip tables is just one part of the equation. It's not what you'd consider a permanent fix if your tc is already on it's last leg. They can't afford to come out with a "permanent fix" and then you get it again.

what needs to happen is a new tc without the cheap paper friction material, and the friction plates be riveted on instead of welded, to keep them flat.

then you need a good fluid with the right friction modifier, even if this means 17 flushes to get the old stuff out.

then you need to zero out the slip tables so the car doesn't allow the tc to slip and prematurely wear out whatever tc you do have.

on paper, all of this together should fix the problem.
crosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 03:14 PM   #136
ItsChristianInHD

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT RS 3.6L
Quote:
Originally Posted by crosive View Post
zeroing out the slip tables is just one part of the equation. It's not what you'd consider a permanent fix if your tc is already on it's last leg. They can't afford to come out with a "permanent fix" and then you get it again.

what needs to happen is a new tc without the cheap paper friction material, and the friction plates be riveted on instead of welded, to keep them flat.

then you need a good fluid with the right friction modifier, even if this means 17 flushes to get the old stuff out.

then you need to zero out the slip tables so the car doesn't allow the tc to slip and prematurely wear out whatever tc you do have.

on paper, all of this together should fix the problem.
Interesting. But it makes logical sense.
I just got my TC replaced in February, so far so good, i put maybe 8,000 miles on it since. I have the shudder in v4 mode.
It pisses us all off because we (not all) have to pay monthly for this car some daily drive like me and excpect it to get us from point A to B. The fact it (might) take them 4-5 years to find a fix is bullshit.
ItsChristianInHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 03:45 PM   #137
bturner2

Drives: 2SS, Hyper Blue, Sunroof, NPP, MRC
So I just got my car back from the dealer and I swear I felt it shudder as I was getting on the highway. I'll be driving it across town this weekend on the freeway and will be able to quickly see if the problem is still there.
bturner2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 05:19 PM   #138
ErbyT

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2LTRS
2016 with 37K miles and had the shudder. Took it in, they flushed the transmission 3x per the bulletin. I got it back and it still seems like when it changes gears seems like it loses power between gears and now it seems to get stuck in gears and doesnt want to shift into higher gears after 5th.
ErbyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 05:39 PM   #139
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErbyT View Post
2016 with 37K miles and had the shudder. Took it in, they flushed the transmission 3x per the bulletin. I got it back and it still seems like when it changes gears seems like it loses power between gears and now it seems to get stuck in gears and doesnt want to shift into higher gears after 5th.
I'd give the trans a little mileage, say, a hundred miles or so, as it may have been reset and just need to relearn shift patterns based on your driving. However, if it doesn't improve on its own after this, there's something else and you should probably take the car back in.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 05:57 PM   #140
kcirts

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS1
2017 SS1 - First shudder ~15k. First single flusher ~20k. Waited about a month too long to go back to dealer for the temporary-permanent TC replacement, so I ended up with another single flusher at ~50k and a verbal "permanent fix in early 2019".

Both flushes had no impact on the issue. I believe my transmission might have gotten used to the extra metal chunks floating around, as the recent ~50k flush seemed to make the problem significantly worse. The periodic vibration has reached a point where the HUD has a motion blur effect while it's happening. Disabling AFM helps with the shudder; I just get the 5-7 second interval 'clunk' + RPM increase.

In general and as expected, the overall transmission performance/feel has gradually declined over the last year or so.

I would trade my 0-60 timer and my paddle shifters for an in-dash seismometer. It would be more entertaining to visualize the frequency and amplitude of the vibration.

My workaround will be a car cover it seems.
kcirts is offline   Reply With Quote