Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics

AWE Tuning

Old 01-27-2021, 06:58 PM   #1
Clos.95

Drives: Black 1SS
Flex fuel sensor reading inconsistent

I’m back for another noob question
So I’ve been tuned on E85 for around 2 years now, and I’ll admit my first tuner was probably the worse tuner I could’ve gone too, I’m tuned by someone a lot better now. Anyways i never replaced the flex fuel sensor that my first tuner installed. He made it himself, it’s non branded, I now have HP tuners and datalog everything and have seen my Ethanol content read E75 while idling and during some pulls reads E78 and some E80 all in the same tank of gas, just different pulls done a few minutes after each other. Is that normal or do I have a bad/crappy sensor?
Clos.95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 10:11 PM   #2
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
I'm shocked you have E readings that high from pump E85.

When I use 100% E85, I usually sit around E67 here in Florida.

What do you mean when you say 'non-branded'? Pretty much everyone uses the GM FlexFuel sensor. Do you know how he tapped power for the sensor? You might want to check the pin is secure.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 11:12 PM   #3
Clos.95

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewAMEL View Post
I'm shocked you have E readings that high from pump E85.

When I use 100% E85, I usually sit around E67 here in Florida.

What do you mean when you say 'non-branded'? Pretty much everyone uses the GM FlexFuel sensor. Do you know how he tapped power for the sensor? You might want to check the pin is secure.
Non branded as in it’s not a DSX or lethal garage, or SMG or EFI kit
We have pretty good E here in Cali.
He tapped into the fuse box for power, and it’s pinned properly since I have readings. Just wondering if it’s normal for the readings to vary so much from idling to full throttle
Old 01-28-2021, 10:19 AM   #4
Umbriel

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Mine jumps around a little like that also and it is an SMG kit. It doesn't jump by huge numbers but sometimes it will read 78 sometimes 74 sometimes 72. Sometimes it will flicker back and forth between like 73 and 74 and then settle. I think it is just the way the fuel is, I could be wrong but I have never worried about it and I am making 901 rwhp on it.
Umbriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 10:09 PM   #5
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
When he says non-branded, likely just means GM sensor with diy parts to make the rest of the kit.

Not uncommon in some parts of the country to see upwards of E80. My local E85 pump is normally E78 summer, E66 winter.

I never see more then 1% fluctuation in readings from my SMG flex sensor kit after filling up and the fuel mixes/settles in. Normally takes around 5 miles or so of driving. If you are seeing consistent fluctuations of 5% or more then I would check connections.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 03:41 AM   #6
Clos.95

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
When he says non-branded, likely just means GM sensor with diy parts to make the rest of the kit.

Not uncommon in some parts of the country to see upwards of E80. My local E85 pump is normally E78 summer, E66 winter.

I never see more then 1% fluctuation in readings from my SMG flex sensor kit after filling up and the fuel mixes/settles in. Normally takes around 5 miles or so of driving. If you are seeing consistent fluctuations of 5% or more then I would check connections.
Yeah it’s a home made kit that my old tuner made, since then I’ve been tuned 2 more times once by a big local tuner and now Brett, non of them have said anything yet, but I have noticed how much the reading changes from Idle to full throttle. To me 75% at idle and 80% at full throttle seems a little odd. I also have seen that on some pulls it’ll be E77 some E78 and one as high as E80.4 and timing changes a bit Lower content E77 I’ll see 26.5 degrees and at E80 I’ll see 28. If this is not normal I wouldn’t doubt that my old tuner made a crap kit, and I’ll replace it with a Pray kit
Old 01-30-2021, 10:32 PM   #7
Clos.95

So after hooking up HP tuners to my buddies car, I think I know the issue.
We pump at the same station and have been for the last few months.
His SMG kit reads E80 at idle while my bootleg home made sensor reads E75 at idle.
His under light load 1,500-2000 rpm in park sees E80-E81 max consistently
While mine doing the same never stays constant it keeps moving back between E75-78. We should both have E80-E81
I’m gonna swap over to either a Pray kit or SMG
Now I wonder since the wiring is done correctly, if I can just swap the sensors and leave the current wire plugged into the correct pin.