Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-27-2018, 09:54 AM   #1
HurstPerformance

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS and 2016 Camaro SS
Hurst Billet/Plus Manual Shifter '16-'19 Camaro SS & ZL1, 6-Speed - Part #3916047

Hurst Billet/Plus Manual Shifter for 2016-2019 Chevy Camaro SS and ZL1 models with 6-Speed Transmission.

Available September 1, 2018

Part #3916047

Application:

2016-2019 Chevrolet Camaro SS and ZL1 models with the 6-Speed Manual Transmission.

Features:
Hurst introduces a new version of their popular Billet Plus shifter for the 2016-2019 Chevy Camaro SS/ZL1 with the 6-speed manual transmission. This shifter has all of the same performance benefits of the classic version, like a 40% reduction in shifter throw. This shifter is designed to be used with the stock shift knob which keeps the factory appearance inside the car.

• CNC Machined Billet Aluminum Construction

• Black Anodized Finish

• Reduces Shift Throw by 40%

• Utilizes Factory Shift Knob & Boot

Questions? Please call 707-544-4761 or visit www.hurst-shifters.com for additional application and product information.

Last edited by HurstPerformance; 11-08-2018 at 03:27 PM.
HurstPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 08:21 PM   #2
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Hurst,
That's great to see the shifter on the market. I had some questions/comments:
  • The site lists this as a "Comp Plus" compared to the prior shifter listed as a "Billet/Plus." I'm assuming it's the exact same shifter except for the upper stick, but just wanted to confirm the difference in naming convention.
  • I noticed new instructions for the shifter here: http://files.dpbrands.com/hurst/inst...ns/3916047.pdf
    One thing that caught my eye was Step 30, which states "Verify that the gasket that is situated between the shifter and housing remains in the housing for reassembly." The old instructions didn't mention this and I don't think I had that installed when I installed mine. Is there a failure mode associated with this gasket missing? The gasket appeared to be specific to the plastic bearing housing of the stock shifter, but without taking the Hurst one apart again I can't recall if it's really needed or provides any significant benefit. I'm interested in your thoughts on this.
  • For what it's worth, since the stock knob setup sits taller than the white ball version, I calculated the % reduction in throw to be 34.4%. If I remember correctly, when I measured the white ball setup, I measured very close to the advertised 40%. Either way, it's a huge reduction in throw compared to stock.
  • If you'd like to add the torque specs to the instruction manual, I added them to my version attached to this thread below (see .pdf). I got these from the 2017 GM service manual: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=14
  • In Step 34 of the new manual, I'd recommend mentioning that the internal hex bolts can't be tightened to the factory spec or the internal hex will strip out.

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 12:02 PM   #3
RDBURNR

Drives: 2016 Camarro 2SS
OP, availability commencing on Sept 1st, and cost?
Stage 2 Intercooler w/ Race BOV
ZL1 Fuel Upgrade
LT4 Injectors
Fuel Voltage Booster
AEM Boost and AFR Gauges
Dynatech 1 7/8th Headers
JRE Tuning
RDBURNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 09:34 PM   #4
zeemak16

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS M6
anything on the stick part number, price or group buy
zeemak16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 09:55 PM   #5
cmeJATT

Drives: SS-6-SPD
I want this so bad but sadly cannot install it! :(
cmeJATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 08:37 AM   #6
RDBURNR

Drives: 2016 Camarro 2SS
OP, when schedule opens, like two or three weeks, I have to have a performance clutch installed as the stock is slipping. That would be the time to hit this. I called your sales yesterday to see if I could "Pre-Order" it but was told that it was not in stock and no indication when it would be. Hopefully it will appear in the computer system September 1st as the time they drop transmission for clutch is the time to install this.
Stage 2 Intercooler w/ Race BOV
ZL1 Fuel Upgrade
LT4 Injectors
Fuel Voltage Booster
AEM Boost and AFR Gauges
Dynatech 1 7/8th Headers
JRE Tuning
RDBURNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 05:50 PM   #7
Tech@HurstPerformance

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeemak16 View Post
In most instances, we have the ability to sell separate items from our collection of shifters, such as levers, brackets, hardware, etc.; items that are not found for purchase on our website www.hurst-shifters.com. These items are known as "service parts" and can only be purchased by calling us directly at 707-544-4761. I am still awaiting word on if/when the upper stick portion will be available to those of you that already have this shifter but would like to re-use your stock shift knob. As I receive inquiries about the upper stick I forward those up to the "powers that be" to show the interest in bringing the upper stick to market. Once this shifter is available for purchase (September 1st) I will have some additional details available, including pricing. As for a group buy we would definitely entertain the idea. For those of you, Gen 6 owners with a Hurst Shifter and want that upper stick make your voices heard so we can make that happen! Please feel free to PM me if I can be of further assistance.

- Jason @ Hurst
Tech@HurstPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 05:52 PM   #8
Tech@HurstPerformance

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtirocz View Post
Hurst,
  • The site lists this as a "Comp Plus" compared to the prior shifter listed as a "Billet/Plus." I'm assuming it's the exact same shifter except for the upper stick, but just wanted to confirm the difference in naming convention.
  • I noticed new instructions for the shifter here: http://files.dpbrands.com/hurst/inst...ns/3916047.pdf
    One thing that caught my eye was Step 30, which states "Verify that the gasket that is situated between the shifter and housing remains in the housing for reassembly." The old instructions didn't mention this and I don't think I had that installed when I installed mine. Is there a failure mode associated with this gasket missing? The gasket appeared to be specific to the plastic bearing housing of the stock shifter, but without taking the Hurst one apart again I can't recall if it's really needed or provides any significant benefit. I'm interested in your thoughts on this.
  • For what it's worth, since the stock knob setup sits taller than the white ball version, I calculated the % reduction in throw to be 34.4%. If I remember correctly, when I measured the white ball setup, I measured very close to the advertised 40%. Either way, it's a huge reduction in throw compared to stock.
  • If you'd like to add the torque specs to the instruction manual, I added them to my version attached to this thread below (see .pdf). I got these from the 2017 GM service manual: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=14
  • In Step 34 of the new manual, I'd recommend mentioning that the internal hex bolts can't be tightened to the factory spec or the internal hex will strip out.
I just wanted to let you know that I am currently researching the questions that you posted here and I am currently working to get you some answers, please stay tuned.

- Jason @ Hurst
Old 08-29-2018, 05:55 PM   #9
Tech@HurstPerformance

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDBURNR View Post
OP, availability commencing on Sept 1st, and cost?
September 1st the shifter will be available for purchase either by phone or on our website (don't forget to use the Camaro 6 Forum discount code CAMARO10 at time of purchase) along with pricing.

- Jason @ Hurst
Old 09-05-2018, 03:02 PM   #10
Chocolate Apocalypse
Full Fledged Member

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE

[IMG]IMG_20180905_125634 by james elliott, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 09-05-2018, 04:32 PM   #11
zeemak16

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS M6
anything on the upper stick
zeemak16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 10:46 AM   #12
Tech@HurstPerformance

It's Finally Here! Hurst Upper Stick for Hurst Billet/Plus Shifter - Part# 2385002

Quote:
Quote:
anything on the upper stick
You demanded and we listened! For those 6th gen Camaro owners that have the Hurst Billet/Plus Shifter and want to reuse the factory shift knob, we have some great news.

The upper stick portion is now available for purchase. This item can only be purchased by calling us at 707-544-4761; this part is not available on the website. When you call in just let any member of our Support Team know that you'd like to purchase the Hurst Upper Stick, part #2385002.

Ladies and Gentleman you have patiently waited and for that I am thankful! If I can be of any assistance please do not hesitate to PM me.

- Jason @ Hurst
Old 09-19-2018, 06:09 PM   #13
Tech@HurstPerformance

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtirocz View Post
Hurst,

- The Comp Plus name was used in error, it is the Billet Plus.

- The lower shifter assemblies are the same, yours should have the grommet installed. If you haven't run into any issues then there's a good chance that it's installed correctly.

- A client of ours just installed the upper stick and factory shifter and verified that the OEM shift knob will sit just a tad bit higher.

- Thank you for including that info from the factory, I forwarded your recommendations on over to R&D for review.

My apologies on the lengthy time to answer but if I can be of further assistance please PM me.

- Jason @ Hurst
Old 09-23-2018, 08:03 PM   #14
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech@HurstPerformance View Post
- The Comp Plus name was used in error, it is the Billet Plus.

- The lower shifter assemblies are the same, yours should have the grommet installed. If you haven't run into any issues then there's a good chance that it's installed correctly.

- A client of ours just installed the upper stick and factory shifter and verified that the OEM shift knob will sit just a tad bit higher.

- Thank you for including that info from the factory, I forwarded your recommendations on over to R&D for review.

My apologies on the lengthy time to answer but if I can be of further assistance please PM me.

- Jason @ Hurst
Thanks for the response! Regarding this comment: "- The lower shifter assemblies are the same, yours should have the grommet installed. If you haven't run into any issues then there's a good chance that it's installed correctly."

I went back and checked and I did not install that gasket that I think the new instructions are referring to, which to me appeared to be specific to the stock plastic bearing housing. The lower assembly is bolted in place and held radially by the two o-rings within the housing, so not sure how necessary that top gasket really is. With that said, if you're recommending it be installed, then the instructions for the Billet/Plus shifters with white ball (p/n 3916031) and pistol grip (p/n 3916131) should both be updated to include that information:

http://files.dpbrands.com/hurst/inst...ns/3916031.pdf
http://files.dpbrands.com/hurst/inst...ns/3916131.pdf

There's also some other recommendations in the instructions for the shifter w/ stock knob (http://files.dpbrands.com/hurst/inst...ns/3916047.pdf), that are all related to the portions of the install that should be common between 3916031, 3916131, and 3916047. I'm specifically referring to recommendations for using medium strength threadlocker on some of the bolts. It seems some of the additional info from the 3916047 instructions should be carried back to 3916031 and 3916131 instructions. Just a suggestion

Thanks!

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote