Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 10-14-2017, 03:01 PM   #29
camaromike77

Drives: S O L D
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanMike View Post
Mike, how would you raise our verts if you plan on using the open pinch welds for the bolt-ons since the secondary jack point is taken with frame supports?
MMMmmmm........... Valid point Mike........ To be honest, I had the car up on jack stands all last Winter - directly on the four pinch welds, with the rims /tires removed......Made me REALLY nervous, but all held well for the 4-months.

Changed it up this year, and bought "Flatstoppers" instead. I hate jacking this car up..........
Attached Images

Borla S-Type exhaust NPP| GM CAI | Color matched GM side skirts | Color matched 3rd brake light | Big Worm Graphics smoked out tail lights & rear reflectors | Oracle ghosted side markers | LED License plate bulbs | Door striker covers | Jam handle | Engine emblems from RiverCity Creations | 50th Center Console | Black bow ties | Hawk Performance ceramic brake pads | ZL1 Start button | CQuartz ceramic paint finish | Novistretch bra | S O L D
camaromike77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 03:52 PM   #30
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanMike View Post
Mike, how would you raise our verts if you plan on using the open pinch welds for the bolt-ons since the secondary jack point is taken with frame supports?
I raise my vert using ZL1 addons lift points, and put jack stands under the steel x-braces.

Put the stand right at the very end of the x-brace where it bolts to the rocker, not further in along the brace which can cause the brace to flex and bend at the mounting bracket stressing the x-brace-bracket-weld.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 03:58 PM   #31
sureshshanmugam79

Drives: Summit White 1LT RS I4 M6
I had my car on ZL1 Addons jackpoint for the past three days while I was waiting for a part. My Jack stands are similar to yours. No problem. They are steady and strong.

2016 1LT RS Summit White M6
10/2/2016 - 3 Miles on ODO - Delivered
11/1/2016 - All around light Black out kit from Phastek
11/15/2016 - OEM Splash guards and all weather mats from ShopChevyParts.com
12/16/16 - 977 Miles. Borla S-type Axleback

Planned - CAI Injen, hood wrap, Sema rocker stripes, Sema trunk balckout, Caliper Paint, Reverse LED
sureshshanmugam79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 04:16 PM   #32
AmericanMike

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS FIFTY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
I raise my vert using ZL1 addons lift points, and put jack stands under the steel x-braces.

Put the stand right at the very end of the x-brace where it bolts to the rocker, not further in along the brace which can cause the brace to flex and bend at the mounting bracket stressing the x-brace-bracket-weld.
me too
AmericanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 04:26 PM   #33
Cchief

Drives: 2017 Fifty 2SS Convertible
I am getting ready to change my wheels to MO17, found the ZL1 mag puck for gen6 doesn't work for my 2017 SS Vert. You have to buy the gen5 for the 2016-17 vert.
Those of you that use jack stands, do you lift from the pinch points and the jack stand fits along that weld or is there another place i can use my floor jack?
Forgot to ask, should I buy 2 sets or will the entire side of the car lift from the front pinch weld? I have no intention of using jack stands, just want my all season tires.
Cchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 04:45 PM   #34
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cchief View Post
I am getting ready to change my wheels to MO17, found the ZL1 mag puck for gen6 doesn't work for my 2017 SS Vert. You have to buy the gen5 for the 2016-17 vert.
Those of you that use jack stands, do you lift from the pinch points and the jack stand fits along that weld or is there another place i can use my floor jack?
Forgot to ask, should I buy 2 sets or will the entire side of the car lift from the front pinch weld? I have no intention of using jack stands, just want my all season tires.
Assuming you have the same X-brace on the SS as the ZL1, there isn't enough room for both a jack at the pinch weld and a jack stand in the same forward pinch weld area, since the X-brace mounts take up the normal spot.

It will be obvious once you get under the car ... there's really only one pinch weld spot you can use near the front wheel to lift the entire side of the car.

The SS should be stiff enough to lift both wheels on one side with only one jack.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 04:55 PM   #35
AmericanMike

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS FIFTY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cchief View Post
I used the MagPad Premium to lift my vert. It was a tight fit but it worked then I put the stand under the bolt from the X-brace as mentioned here. I have done it several times with not issues.
AmericanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 10:58 PM   #36
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaromike77 View Post
MMMmmmm........... Valid point Mike........ To be honest, I had the car up on jack stands all last Winter - directly on the four pinch welds, with the rims /tires removed......Made me REALLY nervous, but all held well for the 4-months.

Changed it up this year, and bought "Flatstoppers" instead. I hate jacking this car up..........
shouldnt let the suspension hang anyway. It weakens the bushings. rubber bushing twist with suspension movement. They are untwisted at ride height.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 10:21 AM   #37
camaromike77

Drives: S O L D
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
shouldnt let the suspension hang anyway. It weakens the bushings. rubber bushing twist with suspension movement. They are untwisted at ride height.
I agree 100%......... That was the 2nd reason I choose not to do that again this Winter........
Borla S-Type exhaust NPP| GM CAI | Color matched GM side skirts | Color matched 3rd brake light | Big Worm Graphics smoked out tail lights & rear reflectors | Oracle ghosted side markers | LED License plate bulbs | Door striker covers | Jam handle | Engine emblems from RiverCity Creations | 50th Center Console | Black bow ties | Hawk Performance ceramic brake pads | ZL1 Start button | CQuartz ceramic paint finish | Novistretch bra | S O L D
camaromike77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 11:21 AM   #38
Soleil

Drives: Camaro 50th anniversary edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
1+ 100% agreed. Never let you car on stands over the winter.
Soleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 04:24 PM   #39
GPz1100

Drives: 97 Z28 6MT, '12 G37 6MT
I've read far too many threads on jacking this afternoon!!

With my current car (g37 sedan), raising the front/rear is effortless. Floor jack under K member under the engine then jack stands with slotted pucks at the pinch welds. For the rear, same except floor jack goes under the diff. Simple, easy, effortless.

With the zl1/ss 1le this whole process is overly complicated. Some points indicate jacking under the diff is ok, others warn against it. Same with the front K member.

Using a floor jack to raise one side (front and rear wheels at the same time) doesn't really seem like the right way to do this.

So the question is, are there central safe points in the front and rear that can be used to raise 1/2 (front or rear) of the car at a time?
GPz1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 12:13 PM   #40
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
I've read far too many threads on jacking this afternoon!!

With my current car (g37 sedan), raising the front/rear is effortless. Floor jack under K member under the engine then jack stands with slotted pucks at the pinch welds. For the rear, same except floor jack goes under the diff. Simple, easy, effortless.

With the zl1/ss 1le this whole process is overly complicated. Some points indicate jacking under the diff is ok, others warn against it. Same with the front K member.

Using a floor jack to raise one side (front and rear wheels at the same time) doesn't really seem like the right way to do this.

So the question is, are there central safe points in the front and rear that can be used to raise 1/2 (front or rear) of the car at a time?
You say that raising one side doesn't seem like the right way but it is. Use the center jacking point (of the three available) and lift one side. Put on jack stands. Then do the other side. Just make sure the jack stands don't start to pivot onto their inside "feet". If they do, readjust.
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 03:25 PM   #41
Bad Anvil Garage

Drives: 2000 GMPPSV SS & 2017 ILE SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAM-FIFTY View Post
I posted a picture in this thread how these sit on the jack stands
http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showpo...6&postcount=21

I would have liked it if jack stand could fit under these in a T manner but they were pinching against the rocker panel.
I don't trust the setup if I need to work underneath the car so built a pair of wooden ramps.
I have the ZL1 things... was wondering about this too. My spider sense tells me the car could slide off the stand like this. Metal on metal and nothing to catch it if it slips except your bodywork... or your skull. Me no likey. I believe these pucks were developed for scissor lifts, not jack stands.
Bad Anvil Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 04:00 PM   #42
GPz1100

Drives: 97 Z28 6MT, '12 G37 6MT
Valid concern. I can see these zl1 protectors going on the middle position pinch weld (where a floor jack would be used), but not in between a jack stand and body. A slotted puck won't fit in between the jack stand and bodywork?

I made my own pucks a while back. Cut one puck in half then screwed both halves to a second puck with ~3/8" gap in between.

Still, with a rwd car there should be central options to use which lift the front or rear half of the vehicle. Even our honda accord has dedicated 'jack' points in the body. There's a protruding piece up front under and forward of the engine. For the rear they say to jack under the tow hook.
GPz1100 is offline   Reply With Quote