Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-18-2016, 11:05 AM   #15
Camaroguy555

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2016 1SS NPP 6MT MRC
Does anyone else have the issue when cold of the car holding rpm on a slight rev? I'll pull out of a parking spot when the vehicle is cold (maybe let it run for 15 seconds first) and when I crack the throttle the rpms climb and hold about 2500 even when off throttle.
Camaroguy555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 11:08 AM   #16
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDP Sales View Post
Mine can be felt in the car as well when it's cold. It goes away after the car drops RPMs to normal idle. If the car truly had a misfire, the CEL would be on.

All the best,

Jared Royce
This had been brought up in another thread a while back and I commented that in my experience as a Mechanic while I was attending school. Modern OBDII equipped cars have misfire counters and a CEL will only come on if the misfires exceed a preset amount in a certain time span. A car with 90 misfires in 5 minutes might set a light, A car with 90 misfires in 5 days will not. Misfires happen a lot more often than you might think but usually not at idle in a brand new car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecmec View Post
I've had the same thing for my last two trips. Not just a rough idle, not just a few misses while idling, but even a few misses under light acceleration. It's pretty obviously a miss, because you can feel the car hesitate while you're in the middle of accelerating. I've got 3000 miles on the car, and it only just started doing this. It used to idle a little rough when cold, sure, but that wasn't this.

I did notice that I only had about a quarter tank of gas, and I remembered the post where the guy "ran out of gas" with an eighth tank remaining (as confirmed by his fuel gauge and the amount of fuel it took to fill back up). I figured I may have actually had some air in the fuel line causing the miss.

Maybe there's an inherent fuel pickup problem in these cars? How much gas do you guys have in the tank when your car is missing?
You could be onto something. Its possible all these cars were suffering from fuel pick up issues with a lower fuel level. All I know is if there is an underlying issue, I hope GM finds and solves it before my 2017 1LE is built.
Old 05-18-2016, 12:34 PM   #17
stars_fan
Nerd

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDP Sales View Post
Not a misfire. Its just the cam lope that you hear at a specific rpm. Mine does that too. So have the other 16's we've had here. That sound is just "Merica" flowing from your exhaust

All the best,

Jared Royce
Old 05-18-2016, 06:29 PM   #18
Algeron

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Convertible, 1998 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by banter View Post
Nah, definitely a misfire. Whole car shakes, if car is moving it's a noticeable jolt.
I have the same issue. Even my kids (6 and 8) asked why the car acted that way in the mornings.
Old 05-19-2016, 11:02 AM   #19
Lemosine

Drives: 2016 M6 Hyper Blue 2SS
I remember when my 06 GTO always did it at a complete stop.
Lemosine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 11:43 AM   #20
EFI

Drives: something faster than you
Quote:
Nah, definitely a misfire. Whole car shakes, if car is moving it's a noticeable jolt.
How can you be 100% sure it's a missfire? Do you get codes for that?

Have you ever been in another big American V8, especially one with a larger than stock cam? That's exactly how those are, even on the stock cam and especially in an auto which tend to idle much lower than manuals (eg somewhere in the 5-600rpm range).

Big V8 idling that low, especially in the cold, is going to rock. A true missfire is much worse and you would hear the car run like shit. That's different than engine rock.
EFI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 11:46 AM   #21
Tr6
The Dogfather

Drives: #1 off the line for a customer. '16
LT1 doesn't love cold start that much but what you are hearing is just Freedom Flowing through your exhaust! Just like Jared said! Also here:
http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=430867
#33 off the line #1 order for Customer.
Build thread HERE!
Story of my delivery HERE!
Tr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 10:13 AM   #22
gippy87

Drives: 2016 2ss
Everyone keeps saying it's the big cam but on my built ls1 with a much more agressive cam I can start it at the same time and don't have any noticeable misses like I do with the camaro. Seems to be more noticeable in colder Temps.
gippy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 10:45 AM   #23
Camaroguy555

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2016 1SS NPP 6MT MRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaroguy555 View Post
Does anyone else have the issue when cold of the car holding rpm on a slight rev? I'll pull out of a parking spot when the vehicle is cold (maybe let it run for 15 seconds first) and when I crack the throttle the rpms climb and hold about 2500 even when off throttle.
Yes, my car does this all the time and actually gets a little scary at times because it will accelerate out of nowhere with light throttle application. I guess I need to let it warm up longer?
Camaroguy555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 12:44 PM   #24
camarouwe

Drives: Camaro SS, Yellow
Also had bad misfiring when i picked up my new Camaro yesterday.
----Cold and hot---!
Drove 500 mls yesterday, started my beauty today, everything was fine,
no misfiring at all, premium gas and a proper run in should solve this problems.
I also notived a much more free rev up from the engine after this 500 mls.
Lets see and wait if misfiring comes back, i dont hope so.
If ignition and fuel management is o.k. , the only cause of misfiring can be insufficient compression or bad fuel.

All the best from good old Germany

Uwe
camarouwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 06:13 PM   #25
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
On modern cars if ANYTHING was misfiring or not firing properly you'd have a check engine light and codes.

You don't. Relax. Your car is fine.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 11:35 PM   #26
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Not sure but cold start DI tuning causes rough idle and possibly stumbling. It's perfectly normal and remember these engines do not heat up that quick with all the cooling in place.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 02:01 AM   #27
kasperdsmk

Drives: Hopeful 2017 2ss
I have an idea, let your car fully warm up to operation temperature before you drive it. say like 7-10 mins vs. 15 seconds. I promise your problems will go away. (maybe not go away but you wont notice them when your in the house drinking coffee before work) seriously though are all you guys using premium like is recommended? Depending on your location the fuel could still be summer blend Vs a winter blend... or a shady gas station selling you crap vs real 93 I've ran into it before on performance cars that were finely tuned and acted funny with gas from shady stations
kasperdsmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 08:31 AM   #28
Goal seeker

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Definitely a misfire. I just picked up my new 17 1SS on Saturday, and it ran great. I started it yesterday after its first detail (117 miles on the car), and was caught off guard by the misfire. You can definitely "feel" it. I had a 70 Chevelle with a aggressive small block in it, I know the difference between rough cam idle and a misfire (Isky 304 Mega). As soon as the engine built some temperature it went away. This was only idling in the garage. I did not drive it.
Goal seeker is offline   Reply With Quote