Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic modifications (exterior and interior)

AWE Tuning

Old 11-16-2018, 12:17 PM   #1
cmitchell17

Drives: 17 2SS, 8L90, Cam, Heads, E85
Cleaning Grill

Anyone have any ideas on how to make the inserts and grill look better after a year of highway driving and driving in the rain? I understand if you want to have a car that looks nice you basically can't drive in the rain or the highway, but for me its not possible since my car is my daily driver. Anyway will a compound help get some of this stuff off and restore some of the color? Or is my only options to either get a new grill and inserts or sand and repaint? It sucks that only a year of just normal driving can make my front end so crappy looking.

I've also tried clay bar and the mothers new style "clay" bar and it hasn't done anything to remove any of the speckles and marks.
[ATTACH]Name:  IMG_0096.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  319.3 KB[/ATTACH]
Attached Images

cmitchell17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 01:25 PM   #2
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
For the chips, touch up paint is your only option.

For the dried on bug guts, you can try PoorBoys World Bug Squash. If that doesn't get it, polishing with a machine is the next option. You can try a hand foam polishing pad, but the small area makes that tough.

For tar, Stoner Tarminator.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 05:43 PM   #3
cmitchell17

Drives: 17 2SS, 8L90, Cam, Heads, E85
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
For the chips, touch up paint is your only option.

For the dried on bug guts, you can try PoorBoys World Bug Squash. If that doesn't get it, polishing with a machine is the next option. You can try a hand foam polishing pad, but the small area makes that tough.

For tar, Stoner Tarminator.
Thanks! Also I would think pulling this piece off should be pretty easy and it would make it a lot more easy to clean. You can see in the second picture how discolored and worn out it looks, and it seems like there is something that could polish the color back into it if its just discolored from road grime and stuff. Also are you talking about a polish or compound? Also does anyone have any recommendation on any tools that make cleaning the cracks and crevasses in the grill easier? There's a lot of places back in corners that you can fit into and there has got to be some kind of small pick or something you can reach into to get all the grime out.

Also I remember seeing somewhere now that they had a clay bar in the form of a rag now?
cmitchell17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 09:23 PM   #4
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitchell17 View Post
Thanks! Also I would think pulling this piece off should be pretty easy and it would make it a lot more easy to clean. You can see in the second picture how discolored and worn out it looks, and it seems like there is something that could polish the color back into it if its just discolored from road grime and stuff. Also are you talking about a polish or compound? Also does anyone have any recommendation on any tools that make cleaning the cracks and crevasses in the grill easier? There's a lot of places back in corners that you can fit into and there has got to be some kind of small pick or something you can reach into to get all the grime out.

Also I remember seeing somewhere now that they had a clay bar in the form of a rag now?
You would want to start with a polish. If that doesnt work,step up to a compound, then follow with the polish.

A microfiber glove is good for the grill. Then you just use your fingers. Detail brushes. Slick Stixx brand tools. there's a hundred different products. You just have to find what works for you.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote