Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 09-01-2022, 04:24 PM   #15
Mellowjive

Drives: '18 RS 2LT, V6 M6, NPP, CAI, Brembo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwheeltat View Post
Not sure if she is still making/selling them, but look up Jessika Joy Johnson on FaceBook. She made and sold delrin shifter bushings.
Interesting, I'll try to send her a message. Hopefully it goes through and FB doesn't throw it in the spam box. Or that my wife thinks I'm messaging another woman. "I swear honey it's for the car!"
Mellowjive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 04:58 PM   #16
Mellowjive

These are the 2 sets of bushings
Attached Images

Old 09-01-2022, 05:10 PM   #17
Gen6cyl

Drives: Chevy Camaro 2021 ,rs, v6, manual
The 4cyl turbo would have to use the same shifter assembly. I would try all alloy bushings with out any plastic or rubber.
Gen6cyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 07:04 PM   #18
Mellowjive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen6cyl View Post
The 4cyl turbo would have to use the same shifter assembly. I would try all alloy bushings with out any plastic or rubber.
I will probably go to a local machine shop and see what they recommend and the cost. I also need them to consider the metal hardness so whatever they make doesn't stretch the holes over time. 3D printed nylon also comes to mind
Old 09-01-2022, 08:00 PM   #19
Gen6cyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellowjive View Post
I will probably go to a local machine shop and see what they recommend and the cost. I also need them to consider the metal hardness so whatever they make doesn't stretch the holes over time. 3D printed nylon also comes to mind
Good ideas. I wish you success with your r&d and finding the best material. It's hard to believe no one has a fix for this. I will stay tuned in.
Old 09-04-2022, 12:04 PM   #20
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
I would guess the reason they have made these bushing out of rubber is to isolate as much feel as possible. I would go with a brass bushing and feel the power in your RH like the days of old. Old shifters didn't have rubber bushing. You could have any decent machine shop make those for you.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 07:39 PM   #21
Gen6cyl

Rubber shifter bushings suck. I think anywhere you can change to a harder material will help shifting.
Old 09-06-2022, 03:36 PM   #22
Mellowjive

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpevans View Post
I would guess the reason they have made these bushing out of rubber is to isolate as much feel as possible. I would go with a brass bushing and feel the power in your RH like the days of old. Old shifters didn't have rubber bushing. You could have any decent machine shop make those for you.
They are metal bushings wrapped in a hardened plastic/rubber compound to reduce NVH. That compound cracks and rips over a short time. It's also flared out on the inners that connect to the tranny. I found some full nylon spacers on grainger I am picking up tomorrow to see if it will be a reasonable replacement. They're kind of like this: https://www.accu.co.uk/857-cylindric...29=15mm&page=1

I am skeptical on brass because it might be harder than the fork hole material and wear/stretch it out over time. Haven't been to the machinist yet to get their opinion on a proper metal to use. I think Gen6cyl mentioned an alloy, and that's probably the way I'd go. Will take me a couple weeks to sort this all out and will report back if I have any good news.
Old 09-06-2022, 07:04 PM   #23
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
Quote:
They are metal bushings wrapped in a hardened plastic/rubber compound to reduce NVH. That compound cracks and rips over a short time. It's also flared out on the inners that connect to the tranny. I found some full nylon spacers on grainger I am picking up tomorrow to see if it will be a reasonable replacement. They're kind of like this: https://www.accu.co.uk/857-cylindric...29=15mm&page=1

I am skeptical on brass because it might be harder than the fork hole material and wear/stretch it out over time. Haven't been to the machinist yet to get their opinion on a proper metal to use. I think Gen6cyl mentioned an alloy, and that's probably the way I'd go. Will take me a couple weeks to sort this all out and will report back if I have any good news.

I would agree with that, the shifters of old you did have to change the nylon bushings to tighten everything up every few years.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 07:40 AM   #24
Mellowjive

SOLUTION FINALLY!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiskey View Post
Hello all!

I'm having a situation here. I was on a work trip and one of the bushings for my Manual Transmission linkage broke and fell out. This has made my shifter very sloppy, although it actually does still work (until I loose the other one).

It's a little plastic part, probably costs $0.30 but I can't find it anywhere.

Have you guys run into this? What did you do to replace it? I don't want to drive it too much like this because I'm sure it will wear the aluminum shifter linkage eventually.

Bonus points if anyone out there has a diagram of this thing.

Thank you!
Whiskey

I went to a local chevy custom shop in Tampa, FL area and the guy sent off to his machinist. They made me a couple aluminum bushing replacements and I'll be testing them out within the next month (need to find the day/time to reinstall shifter).

The cool thing is he reused the metal rings from inside the factory bushings, so the pin slides into it perfectly and still rides on that same material. The aluminum just replaces the black rubber/plastic so that it won't degrade. He thought about brass but was worried the hardness might warp the rod holes over time

If this works out, I told him there might be others out here with the same problem we can get a count of need and he can make a batch for sale. He didn't tell me a price yet but we agreed wasn't going over $200 before starting which I thought was fair considering disassembling the entire shifter assembly is 5 hours of labor I'll never have to do again
Attached Images

Last edited by Mellowjive; 10-21-2022 at 07:51 AM. Reason: Added "before" pic with the black rubber/plastic bushing
Old 10-21-2022, 08:28 AM   #25
Gen6cyl

That looks very promising. Let us know how it works.I would be interested in those parts if price is reasonable. Thank you for doing the work and posting.
Old 10-21-2022, 09:15 AM   #26
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
The cool thing is he reused the metal rings from inside the factory bushings, so the pin slides into it perfectly and still rides on that same material. The aluminum just replaces the black rubber/plastic so that it won't degrade. He thought about brass but was worried the hardness might warp the rod holes over time
Nothing like a machinist who knows his craft!
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 12:47 PM   #27
Mellowjive

Installed the bushings today. WOW! Let me tell you I forgot how a transmission should be. This is so firm now going through the gears and return to center. When engaged in a gear there is NO slosh (lateral movement). And since the bushings are aluminum, I'll never need to mess with this ever again... saving me $1k in future cost and my time. Getting them in is a tight squeeze, but you can do it without full disassembly and takes about 1 hour. A lift or high car stands are a must IMO. These bushings had to be grinded down a bit by a fingernail width on each side, but I will update that in the model. Yep, I made a 3d laser model of them I am ready to sell them and taking thoughts for the best way to ensure people know about this before buying a whole new shifter from the dealer? Ebay? Would the dealerships buy it as a replacement kit?

Last edited by Mellowjive; 11-19-2022 at 10:18 AM.
Old 11-18-2022, 07:04 AM   #28
Gen6cyl

Sounds like you got it right. I would like to have those aluminum bushings and instructions on how you did it.