105 dB quiet?

Akura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 09:45 AM   #16
collinms

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akura View Post
105 dB quiet?

I don't think its 105 dB. I would be shocked if it was that loud. The new ZR1 might be 105.
collinms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 09:49 AM   #17
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
Make sure the exhaust setting is not overridden in the driving mode settings
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 10:15 AM   #18
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
It’s quiet in there for sure. Until you go WOT!
Old 05-22-2018, 11:20 AM   #19
chrest

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
long tubes will change your mind significantly.
603hp/547tq
chrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 11:50 AM   #20
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Long Tube Headers will require you to tune, and once you're tuning, you might as well do an intake and pulley. And at that point, a serious pulley upgrade will require Meth or E or both, so might as well do that, and now you're looking at possibly Heat Exchanger upgrades and hey the blower's off might as well port that and the snout too. That's certainly a way to get your exhaust louder, but it's a different path than a typical axle back/cat-back system.

I personally would recommend a cat-back change. Have you seen how ugly, big, and heavy the factory Cat-back is on these cars? I dropped mine off in one piece and replaced it with a Borla 60606 X Pipe and Corsa Xtreme axle-back and the sound is to die for. MUCH louder on start up and wide open throttle, ear splitting in the tunnels/next to concrete structures, but calms down and cruises nice and quiet. But as soon as you drop a gear, it screams.

I started my C7 Z06 and ZL1 back to back when both were stock, the ZL1 is loud and is a bit sharper on initial start up, but the C7 Z06 is just a bit louder on startup and stays louder once idling. By the way, the fuse pull is really a dumb idea on these 5 mode NPP systems. You might as well put it in track mode and at least be able to show your buddy how you can change the exhaust 5 different ways.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 03:38 PM   #21
Akura

Drives: ´18 ZL1 A10 Red Hot 😍
Quote:
Originally Posted by collinms View Post
I don't think its 105 dB. I would be shocked if it was that loud. The new ZR1 might be 105.

4:30

Old 05-22-2018, 04:09 PM   #22
ScottMZ3

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10, 2019 BMW X5
Yeah, I think the ZL1 stock is actually a lot louder than many realize if you are only hearing it from the driver's seat most of the time. I've been outside and had my wife drive my car down our street and a few blocks away with some decent pressure on the GO pedal...and I can hear the car 2 blocks away! It really does sound pretty darn good outside the car stock. I know several on here have mentioned being flagged at certain tracks for being too loud stock as well.

That isn't to say that going even louder or changing the tone is a bad thing! Just trying to say that the car really is fairly loud stock.

And as others have said, pulling the fuse does net you a bit more of the track model exhaust goodness more of the time. It doesn't make WOT any louder or idle any louder...but cruising and light acceleration is more noticeable for sure. I also get more popping and cracking from the exhaust during deceleration and downshifts. I pulled my fuse a couple weeks after I got the car and its been great. An added bonus is you only have to clean 2 of the exhaust tips...not all 4!
Old 05-22-2018, 06:20 PM   #23
Badgerbimmer

Drives: ZL1 A10
After years of having to wear ear plugs when I drove my track car I rather enjoy the exhaust!
2012 Audi S4
1992 Porsche America Roadster
1990 BMW 325Ic
Badgerbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 09:22 PM   #24
CT ZL1

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akura View Post
105 dB quiet?

105 db at wot does not equal good or loud exhaust sounds going through the gears IMHO

Past Rides
13 Porsche 911 4S
17 BMW M4
16 Shelby GT 350
07 Saleen Mustang
02 M3 Comp Pack
79 Corvette
CT ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:42 PM   #25
Locker

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
Long Tube Headers will require you to tune, and once you're tuning, you might as well do an intake and pulley. And at that point, a serious pulley upgrade will require Meth or E or both, so might as well do that, and now you're looking at possibly Heat Exchanger upgrades and hey the blower's off might as well port that and the snout too. That's certainly a way to get your exhaust louder, but it's a different path than a typical axle back/cat-back system.

I personally would recommend a cat-back change. Have you seen how ugly, big, and heavy the factory Cat-back is on these cars? I dropped mine off in one piece and replaced it with a Borla 60606 X Pipe and Corsa Xtreme axle-back and the sound is to die for. MUCH louder on start up and wide open throttle, ear splitting in the tunnels/next to concrete structures, but calms down and cruises nice and quiet. But as soon as you drop a gear, it screams.

I started my C7 Z06 and ZL1 back to back when both were stock, the ZL1 is loud and is a bit sharper on initial start up, but the C7 Z06 is just a bit louder on startup and stays louder once idling. By the way, the fuse pull is really a dumb idea on these 5 mode NPP systems. You might as well put it in track mode and at least be able to show your buddy how you can change the exhaust 5 different ways.
Does your ZL1 still make the crackle sounds when you come off throttle? I've been thinking about doing that setup but I really have to have those sounds.
Locker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:46 PM   #26
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locker View Post
Does your ZL1 still make the crackle sounds when you come off throttle? I've been thinking about doing that setup but I really have to have those sounds.
My 6th ZL1 didn't crackle on decel like my 5th gen ZL1 did, maybe that's because of the Auto trans vs manual trans though. So there's not really any crackles now either, only once in a while if you're in manual mode. The downshifts are nasty. That said an exhaust change isn't going to make crackles stop or start. It comes from excess fuel in the exhaust. Change the exhaust and it still pops. It just might be louder or quieter.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 05:45 AM   #27
Akura

Drives: ´18 ZL1 A10 Red Hot 😍
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT ZL1 View Post
105 db at wot does not equal good or loud exhaust sounds going through the gears IMHO
A question of taste...

Old 05-24-2018, 06:23 AM   #28
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
I think those that can't hear the stock ZL1 exhaust at all are stuck in Stealth mode or have some hearing loss. In Sport it is hard to miss. And I already hear the blower. I wouldn't mind ramping that up a bit.

I would not mind ramping up the sound a bit also if it can remain tame in Tour and 100% for sure no drone. It is just so silly expensive. $2K for a good 3" catback.

Been there done that with LTs on the CA6 SS. For the HP it is hardly worth it unless you are going for big power. And the loss of easily going back to stock is a big one for me.

Last edited by Fraxum; 05-24-2018 at 06:57 AM.
Fraxum is offline   Reply With Quote