Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 05-15-2018, 11:26 AM   #99
init4fun

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjmeyer View Post
It seems every car advertised on tv is bragging about automatic emergency braking, AEB, especially foreign cars like Nissan, Honda, etc. I remember a story that all cars have to have it by 2022. It sure would be nice if Camaro added it soon, it's a nice feature to have to avoid a rear-end collision. Does anyone know when Chevy plans to add it to the Camaro.
In concept its a nice idea but it reality its a giant P.I.T.A. My GF's Explorer has this "feature" and it's constantly warning you and flashing a bright red light on the dash. Recent trip to OH in the Explorer I had a guy cross my lane about 8 cars ahead of me to make a last second exit. The truck freaked out and hit the brakes while flashing lights on the dash and making an creditably annoying beeping sound. There was ZERO chance of a crash. The guy never even slowed down and we were going roughly the same speed.

We pulled off shortly after that and figured out how to turn that crap off.

I've been driving for 28 yrs now without an accident. I don't need a car thinking for me.
init4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 11:54 AM   #100
Red Devil's Rebel

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT RS V6/A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsReject97 View Post
THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IF YOU CAN'T PAY ATTENTION AND DRIVE, YOU DONT BELONG BEHIND THE WHEEL!!!!!!!!

I'm all for things like backup sensors, backup cameras, anything that makes it easier to see in areas where it can be difficult. I don't even mind the blindspot annoyances on my mirrors..... but lane assist, brake assist, park assist, these are all babysitting tools for people who can't drive, who shouldn't drive, or worst case, are too busy doing other crap but driving...

Keep in mind, I do understand that there are a very select group of people who are disabled or have injuries that these types of things are beneficial to have. I am not including these individuals in my comment.

I also am not against these being available to a vehicle, as long as they can be disabled.

Amen! Yes!!! Agreed... to everything you said!!

Old 05-15-2018, 12:07 PM   #101
Red Devil's Rebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
What a concept!!! . . . (mine folds shut and goes in a pocket that's too difficult to get it out of while sitting - if I even hear it ring in the first place)

People would do well to get away from the idea that all information must be instantly available, and feel free to not be immediately available at all times to anybody on the planet who has a phone.

Norm
I love you Norm

More people need to remember this.
Put it down & drive... if something comes up that needs immediate attention, pull over.
Old 05-15-2018, 12:09 PM   #102
Red Devil's Rebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Mfrs catering to people who can't let the rest of the world go for more than a minute or two at a time isn't the right thing for them to be doing. Unindicted co-conspirators is the term that comes to mind.

Norm
+10000000
Old 05-26-2018, 11:53 AM   #103

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
https://www.wsj.com/articles/fiat-ch...tch-1527254818

They can't even keep old fashioned cruise control reliable....Imagine the horrors of self-driving and autonomous cars...lol...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 01:09 PM   #104
Jeb114

Drives: 2021 300
It will be installed when Chevy decides to no longer provide manual shifting cars, or when the Fed makes it mandatory. which is said to be 2020. Chevy already ended manual's for pickups.
Jeb114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 05:38 PM   #105
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeb114 View Post
It will be installed when Chevy decides to no longer provide manual shifting cars, or when the Fed makes it mandatory. which is said to be 2020. Chevy already ended manual's for pickups.
Honda has pre-collision braking standard on the 2018 Accord with a manual transmission. It slows the car down by itself to the point in gear where RPMs approach stalling, then disengages and warns the driver to take over and apply brakes.

It works with a manual. Chevy quit offering manuals on trucks years ago, long before pre- collision braking. Has nothing to do with it.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 02:10 PM   #106
97cavy22

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
I don’t even want the computer shifting for me.. let alone stopping/steering. The less computer involvement the better.
97cavy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 08:04 PM   #107
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
If they want to install nannies on cars, I don’t care as long as there is a way to turn them off in the info center. Most people would leave them on anyway.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 07:21 AM   #108
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerZL1 View Post
If they want to install nannies on cars, I don’t care as long as there is a way to turn them off in the info center.
I'd want a 'hard' shut-off, as in a physical switch downstream of all the software. Anything that you have to politely ask a computer to do for you still has the potential for letting that computer turn it back on again if it (not you) thinks it should do so. This already happens for some systems in some cars.

Quote:
Most people would leave them on anyway.
"I'm too lazy"
"You mean I can shut this off?
"I'm afraid of what WILL happen if I do"

Pick at least one.

Norm
Old 05-28-2018, 07:31 AM   #109
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97cavy22 View Post
I don’t even want the computer shifting for me.. let alone stopping/steering. The less computer involvement the better.
This ↑↑↑ .

Perhaps even more so now that difficulty with shutting off cruise control (Fiat-Chrysler) has come to light. It's at least partly a software problem, and while a reflash fixes it you so have to wonder how many more undocumented and as yet undiagnosed problems remain with any of these systems.

Norm
Old 05-29-2018, 09:42 AM   #110
brap999

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
I've daily driven '60's, 70's and 90's high horsepower american muscle in modern day traffic for years. Some of these vehicles still had 4 wheel drum brakes. Rear ending a person has never been an issue. I even lost the rear brakes on my '63 c10 once and still got home safely (albeit slowly) without rear ending anyone.

This kind of technology is just 'feel good' crap mandated by politicians and consumed by people probably drive like crap themselves and assume we all need it.
1998 Dodge Viper GTS
1972 Pontiac GTO
1963 Chevy C10 short bed, T5, 350, lowered
brap999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 10:20 AM   #111
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brap999 View Post
This kind of technology is just 'feel good' crap mandated by politicians and consumed by people probably drive like crap themselves and assume we all need it.
Might be further upstream than that.

People have been gradually becoming risk-averse over the past 50 years or so. Only some of that has been due to greater awareness of safer detail design choices. But with that, a whole industry has grown up that still needs to keep finding things to fix/change in order to justify existence at the current level.

Norm
Old 05-29-2018, 01:46 PM   #112
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
https://www.wsj.com/articles/fiat-ch...tch-1527254818

They can't even keep old fashioned cruise control reliable....Imagine the horrors of self-driving and autonomous cars...lol...
Problem is old fashioned cruise control was vacuum-mechanical. It held the throttle on the carburetor or throttle body with vacuum from the engine. As you hit a hill vacuum would go down as engine speed went down and that would actuate the cruise to open the throttle more. Unless you got a vacuum leak that was a $.50 fix vacuum Cruise was as reliable as the sun coming up every morning.

All of today’s cars use electronic cruise that goes through the ECM, even if it doesn’t have radar.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote