Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-22-2018, 09:20 AM   #15
HartfordRacingCaptain

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS, 2023 Colorado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
X1,000,000

I don't particularly like having to pay for a feature that really does nothing but enable someone to not pay attention while driving.

That said, if it is mandated...please let me shut it off.

A lot of the ads for this automatic braking feature (especially a recent one of Toyota's) seems to make it look as though it's okay, and perfectly normal to not pay attention. How infuriating it is to see that, being someone to takes pride in learning to drive well, and pay attention!
The one with the red Camry following the camper too closely when the deer pops out? I always yell at the tv when that ad comes on.

Last edited by HartfordRacingCaptain; 01-22-2018 at 10:08 AM. Reason: Spelling fix
HartfordRacingCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 09:27 AM   #16
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
This comes hand in hand with Active Cruise Control, which was the one feature about my BMW that was hands down better than my new SS. Of course, it's also usually an auto-only feature, although the manual mustang has it as an option. The ACC is amazing (in auto) because you can set it to "zombie traffic" mode and let the car stop and start with traffic, making any kind of slow-down much less annoying and irritating. You can just "let the car go". We have a highway here that just gets jammed in the summer time with tourists and it can take 1-2hrs to go 50 miles, in a manual car this becomes a huge drag. With ACC, you are much less irritated.

I also had a couple situations where someone pulled out in front of me and the emergency braking seemed to save me from a possible accident. Maybe twice in 3 years. Hard to say if it would have resulted or I would have been braking at the same time, but seemed worth it.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 09:28 AM   #17
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by HartfordRacingCaptain View Post
The one with the red Camry following the camper too closely when the deer pops out? I always tell at the tv when that ad comes on.
Yeah, that one - and the one with the lady in the city who starts day dreaming that she's a rock star with fireworks and crowds cheering - just before she runs into a car in front of her. I flip out any time I see either one.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:40 AM   #18
Jeb114

Drives: 2021 300
Federal Regulation was supposed to go in effect in 2020 but it will be delayed as this will end manual transmissions.
Jeb114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 09:47 AM   #19
HartfordRacingCaptain

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS, 2023 Colorado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
Yeah, that one - and the one with the lady in the city who starts day dreaming that she's a rock star with fireworks and crowds cheering - just before she runs into a car in front of her. I flip out any time I see either one.
Haven't seen that one yet.

My first accident ever was on the highway earlier this year (in the winter beater). I take responsibility for following as closely as I was, but it wasn't really all that close for a highway. The guy in front of me wasn't paying attention to what was in front of him and went into a full lock-up at speed because of stopped traffic ahead that he noticed all of a sudden. I was able to react and slow myself down to less than airbag-deploying speed at impact. I don't know how many people would have been able to react in time to a sudden full-stop at highway speed and avoid impact even with appropriate following distance.

Maybe the technology would have been helpful to everyone in that situation.

Edit for images: http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showth...=517397&page=6

Last edited by HartfordRacingCaptain; 01-22-2018 at 10:03 AM.
HartfordRacingCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 03:54 PM   #20
Gen_Nick3.8

Drives: 22 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollaMo View Post
As opposed to learning how to pay attention when driving?
That's very easy to say but it only takes a quick distraction to get into an accident. My GF & I where messing around and i was driving my Dad's bmw next thing I know the car is beeping and comes to a almost complete stop. The tesla in front of slammed his brakes a cat was in the road. So it's a useful feature
Gen_Nick3.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 04:25 PM   #21
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeb114 View Post
Federal Regulation was supposed to go in effect in 2020 but it will be delayed as this will end manual transmissions.
Making it impossible to steal my manual transmission car.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 03:28 PM   #22
wjmeyer

Drives: 2016 Camaro RS, 2LT
Chevy has AEB on the 2017 Malibu, so they must have it developed well enough to offer as an option and probably will be on the rest of their vehicles by 2020. It's called Forward Automatic Braking. From reading the Malibu manual, it can be turned off (recommended when towing) and act as an alert only.
wjmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 04:59 PM   #23
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollaMo View Post
As opposed to learning how to pay attention when driving?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
I've been driving for MULTIPLE DECADES, (yep I'm Old) and I have NEVER REAR-ENDED ANYONE WHILE DRIVING.

If you do rear-end someone you're not maintaining sufficient following distance.

Here's the more important reason why I WILL NEVER REPLY ON ANY SAFETY NANNIES.https://youtu.be/o9O-aejD0vI

tThey really need to improve Driver's Training in the U.S. and emphasize the P.Y.H.O.O.Y.A. Safety Techniques.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark114 View Post
Yes, that's a tough call. Rush hour driving here in St. Louis can be a real challenge. All too often somebody cuts me off if I leave enough space between my car and the car in front of me. Then we have all the distracted drivers that slam on their brakes at the last minute. I wouldn't want to rely on automatic braking but it might be a nice safety net to have it. A bit like the seat belts and air bags. Don't want to ever use them but glad they're there just in case...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsReject97 View Post
THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IF YOU CAN'T PAY ATTENTION AND DRIVE, YOU DONT BELONG BEHIND THE WHEEL!!!!!!!!

I'm all for things like backup sensors, backup cameras, anything that makes it easier to see in areas where it can be difficult. I don't even mind the blindspot annoyances on my mirrors..... but lane assist, brake assist, park assist, these are all babysitting tools for people who can't drive, who shouldn't drive, or worst case, are too busy doing other crap but driving...

Keep in mind, I do understand that there are a very select group of people who are disabled or have injuries that these types of things are beneficial to have. I am not including these individuals in my comment.

I also am not against these being available to a vehicle, as long as they can be disabled.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4THGEN Z View Post
Agreed...another peeve of mine is when in these car commercials "showing off" their backup camera and cross traffic alert....why the h@ll are the drivers staring at the screen while backing out of the driveway and are "surprised" when the alert goes off when "out of nowhere" a kid is riding a bike or a car is driving behind them.....you gotta look around, not be staring at a tunnel vision backup camera. ugh...

THANK YOU!!!!

Quick video for you all as to show what paying attention and attentful driving actually does .. This was taken by my dash cam and only happened a few days ago:

I would NOT want my vehicle to come to a sudden stop without my command. there could be others behind you, and also you could have limited traction. Take a braking nose dive on Ice, it won't end well.

If you're afraid of people pulling out infront of you, try looking further down the road and down the cross streets and into intersections instead of mindlessly just blowing through one only because the light is green. I do this all the time.

All these features for people who are literally choosing NOT to drive a 2 ton wick of steel and glass because they want the responsibility lifted from their actions is becoming ridiculous.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 05:04 PM   #24
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
I’ll never understand why these threads always become a “want/don’t want” . I’ll pay attention, AND I’ll take every known conceivable braking nanny that would help me not hit somebody or something.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 05:58 PM   #25
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
I’ll never understand why these threads always become a “want/don’t want” . I’ll pay attention, AND I’ll take every known conceivable braking nanny that would help me not hit somebody or something.
Namely because these "tools" do not work correctly every time, and in some instances, people become reliant on them. I'm okay with them being included as long as they are able to be disabled.
Old 01-27-2018, 06:04 PM   #26
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsReject97 View Post
Namely because these "tools" do not work correctly every time, and in some instances, people become reliant on them. I'm okay with them being included as long as they are able to be disabled.
It's not just this, but stopping so abruptly is just as dangerous as literally rear ending someone. The only thing the car knows is "Oh something infront of me BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKKEEE".... nothing about your surroundings, anything behind you, road conditions UNDER you... You DONT want to slam on your brakes on wet or slippery pavement and there's also the possibility of false alarms, ect...

There is NO and I mean absolutely NO replacement for a fully attent driver behind the wheel, if you come to a point where you need assistance of the vehicle driving FOR you, you're not doing your job.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 06:22 PM   #27
Koldunic

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
False alarm exist. My girlfriend and I had one with her Toyota.
Koldunic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 10:04 PM   #28
mekirk2

Drives: 2016 2SS Ragtop Garnet Red
These systems will keep improving and, like seat belts, will save more lives than they harm as they do.

mekirk2 is offline   Reply With Quote