Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-22-2011, 08:27 PM   #1
WHIPPLECHARGED

Drives: 2011 1SS
Insulated ADM Race Intake

Thought I would share my experiment with the ADM Race Intake. I installed my Intake a few weeks ago and have noticed after driving my car around town in 60 degree weather. I would open my hood and put my hand on top of the intake. The temp on top of the intake was very hot, almost to hot to touch. With the ADM Intake being a sealed box with the IAT sensor installed inside it. I decided to insulate the inside of the box on the sides and top. I had some Extreme Dynamat in my garage that I had no use for, so I used it to insulate the inside of the ADM intake and sealed the small crevices by the radiator support. After insulating the inside I drove my car hard for 20 min. in the same 60 degree weather. Got back to my house and put my hand on top of the intake and it was ice cold. It seems like the Dynamat is keeping the hot engine temps out and working like a cooler for the cold air entering. My car seemed to be more responsive, but I don't have any documentation to back it up, accept for the fact that the box is ice cold instead of to hot to the touch.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:46 PM   #2
OverZeaLouS

Drives: 17 Camaro 2SS & 16 acura TLX
Hmmm this is really interesting cuz I was questioning whether those boxes can actually reduce heat. It seemed to me creating a box in the fasion I see them, such as ADM, my guess was it might trap heat instead of block heat. It looked more cosmetic than functional. And I was thinking myself that the box might need an insulant to make it work right.
All of this thought was just theory by looking at photos and reading what its supposed to do. Then stumbling along I find this piece. You made my theory a reality. Thnx.
If you can? You should rig a digital thermometer and check temps after 30 min of driving on 2 days in a row where the forecast temps will be near identical. That would give you something more concrete to post. Do it with and without the insulant. That way you have concrete proof and can show the percentage of improvement.

Again, thanx a lot
OverZeaLouS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 08:50 PM   #3
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
Got any pics of how you did the insulation?
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:39 PM   #4
WHIPPLECHARGED

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverZeaLouS View Post
Hmmm this is really interesting cuz I was questioning whether those boxes can actually reduce heat. It seemed to me creating a box in the fasion I see them, such as ADM, my guess was it might trap heat instead of block heat. It looked more cosmetic than functional. And I was thinking myself that the box might need an insulant to make it work right.
All of this thought was just theory by looking at photos and reading what its supposed to do. Then stumbling along I find this piece. You made my theory a reality. Thnx.
If you can? You should rig a digital thermometer and check temps after 30 min of driving on 2 days in a row where the forecast temps will be near identical. That would give you something more concrete to post. Do it with and without the insulant. That way you have concrete proof and can show the percentage of improvement.

Again, thanx a lot

It would have liked to do some more testing of the before temps. It would be to difficult to try and remove the insulation now that it is already installed. The only evidence I have to go by is from touching the box with my hand. I was amazed with how much colder it felt and that's why I decided to share this thread.

I did no take any pictures of the install,but when I get a chance I can remove the top and take some pics.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:04 AM   #5
aj2ssrs

Drives: IOM 2SS/RS
I did the same mod about 2 months ago using insulation I got from Lowes. It comes on a roll, is about 1/4 inch thick and has insulation sandwiched between 2 layers of what looks like silver foil. I monitored the IAT's before and after the mod and there was no difference in intake air temps. Temps stay 3-4 degrees warmer than ambient temps. Even before I added the insulation, the box never really got that hot, even in 100 degree weather. The tube would get much warmer than the box itself but even that was never to hot to touch.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:30 AM   #6
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
The insulation is called Reflectix and has been used by Easyperformance and CAI for a while. I used it on mine setup. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...7&postcount=17

fwiw, during testing with the easyperformance cai, insulating only the inside provided the most benefit when I tested a few years ago. Jim, the owner/engineer, told me that would be the case, but I had to try it for myself.

She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:31 AM   #7
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
CAI insulates our air boxes for this very reason, We use thermal engineering and IAT tests to verify our design works. Check this out: http://www.coldairinductions.com/col...hermal-imaging
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:57 AM   #8
WHIPPLECHARGED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj2ssrs View Post
I did the same mod about 2 months ago using insulation I got from Lowes. It comes on a roll, is about 1/4 inch thick and has insulation sandwiched between 2 layers of what looks like silver foil. I monitored the IAT's before and after the mod and there was no difference in intake air temps. Temps stay 3-4 degrees warmer than ambient temps. Even before I added the insulation, the box never really got that hot, even in 100 degree weather. The tube would get much warmer than the box itself but even that was never to hot to touch.

That's COOL! Glad some one had a chance to monitor the IAT's before and after. IMO I still think it is worth it to insulate but that's just going off my experience. Looks like you used a different product to insulate your box than what I used, so I don't know if that makes any difference.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:29 PM   #9
NiNoDuKEz

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS Wht/IOM Stripes
i wonder what the best product to insulate is, i'd like to do that today!
NiNoDuKEz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 05:40 PM   #10
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
I'm confused. You insulated the inside of the box and now the outside is cool to the touch? Where is that heat going? It sounds like the heat is coming from inside the box, and that can't be right.
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 06:56 PM   #11
IndeedSS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUX2BU View Post
I'm confused. You insulated the inside of the box and now the outside is cool to the touch? Where is that heat going? It sounds like the heat is coming from inside the box, and that can't be right.
Ice cold on the outside does seem odd to me too. I can see were it may be less hot because the box isn't hot on the inside. I know the outside should cool faster though.

OP What is the ADM box made of?

She is only memory now.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:00 PM   #12
IndeedSS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiNoDuKEz View Post
Reflectix found at home depot. Best I can describe it is small bubble bubble wrap with aluminum foil on each side. I used industrial strenght 3M foam tape for mounting.

She is only memory now.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:12 PM   #13
WHIPPLECHARGED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUX2BU View Post
The only way I can describe it is that the Dynamat absorbed the cold air entering the inside of the metal box causing the outside to be cold and over powering the engine room heat. I checked it again today from my 20 minute commute back home from work and it was cold again. The cold temp only last for a few minutes after shutting the engine off and then then it goes back to normal temperature.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:18 PM   #14
WHIPPLECHARGED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiNoDuKEz View Post

This is what I used http://www.jegs.com/p/Dynamat/Dynama...FQU6gwodXSxCag. All you have to do is peel the back off and stick to any metal surface. It is mainly used for sound deadening, but also works for heat reduction. Someone else should try it to confirm the same results.