Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 07-02-2009, 12:03 AM   #239
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by fergaro View Post
C'mon guys, did you saw the 370Z test on Edmunds? The mph in the slalom was in the 93mph range! That's super impressive. That's C6 ZO6 territory right there. With those kinds of numbers, the 370Z is a very valuable competitor. At least in the road curse and looks department. Even the 2010+ Mustang looks better than the new Camaro. Specially the interior!!

Thinking of Mustangs, did you guys saw the comparison between the Hennessey Camaro vs. the GT500? That was ugly for the Camaro crowd. They compare a heavy modified and more expensive Hennessey Camaro (drag radials, full exhaust, custom S/Charger, race spec suspension, etc.) vs. a factory stock GT500 with a FULL warranty from Ford! And the Ford won!

The thing that grabs me the most was that the Hennessey Camaro was making more power (at least 50rwhp) than the GT-500, but the Camaro was only 3/10ths of a second quicker 0-60. What a shame. In the end even they said that the GT-500 was the more polished of the two. Seems Mustangs are always said to be more polished than the Camaros. That comparo shows that just because you put a blower on doesn't make it a better all-around car. That new GT500 is an awesome machine IMHO.

Fgaro
Bye.
Old 07-02-2009, 06:59 AM   #240
patriotpa
Account Suspended

Drives: 02 Silverado, 09 Vue, 10 1SS
Location: Tired of apologizing when we should be kickin' butt!
patriotpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:39 AM   #241
ludeakris7

Drives: 2001 Honda Prelude
Personally, these are the 2 cars I have been shopping for...even though they aren't the stereotypical comparison, they both have advantages that are appealing to me imo. Yes they are 2 different beasts but both serve a common purpose...performance. You can also throw in the EVO X and the STi for shits n giggles....(I personally wouldn't want to drive a Hyundai..no offense Genesis) both a different type of car but definitely cross shopped with the SS. All of these cars fall into the same relative price range of 30K to 40k. I personally cross shop cars in the same price range and not necessarily the same "type" (muscle, luxury, touring) of car.

Each of these cars has its pros and its cons to each individual persons needs so you can't really argue which is best...you can do some arguing between a SS and a 5.0 easier than a SS vs 370Z. All in all they are all great cars...its just personal preference. I've been going back and forth between the NISMO 370 and the 2SS for months now because each has it pros and cons TO ME. To me, one is not better than the other just different (muscle v touring).
ludeakris7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:39 PM   #242
FrankBoost

Drives: turbo crx, 92 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstLSK View Post
Sorry to hear you would consider that car. It is about as un-American as it gets. Non of the parts, nor assembly is from the U.S.

Performace wise -- we will just have to see how is sizes up to a SS. Engine wise, it is undisputable fact that the LS3 does and will always have more potential that the uncle bens burner under the hood of the 370.

As far as looks -- I think it is butt ugly. When I took my 20 year old step Son to the auto show, he didn't like it either. He said "something about it just looks funny to me..... I don't like it at all"

To me, the back half of the car is the real turn off. It looks like an extremely fat person sat on the back of a 350Z.

FYI, thats the 350Z. Not the 370Z which looks much better.

I mostly agree with OP. I've been considering the 370z and the new Camaro 2SS. Tough decision for me at least.

FrankBoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:55 PM   #243
08-G35s/6MT

Drives: racecars
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankBoost View Post
FYI, thats the 350Z. Not the 370Z which looks much better.

I mostly agree with OP. I've been considering the 370z and the new Camaro 2SS. Tough decision for me at least.

Apples to Oranges if you ask me....
I would say go with 370Z if you want something a little more practical(granted you don't have litte ones that you will have to carry in back), more fuel efficient, and is more driver-involved in the whole experience. Then again get the Camaro if you care about raw-unadulterated straight line performance and stunningly good looks, though they are becoming a bit too common, I saw 4 at a stoplight the other day. See one every 5 minutes, I swear.

Camaro SS=4-seater Muscle Car

Nissan 370Z=Full on 2-seater Sports Car

Straight Line Performance:Camaro SS
13.0 in the 1/4 mile or less, the Z is a half second off that pace, 0-60 is closer(4.7-5.0 vs 4.9-5.2), however. Slight edge for Camaro in 0-60 and a substantial one in the 1/4 mile.

Cornering:370Z
Better f/r weight distribution and turn in, with a lighter curb weight or shorter wheel base, the Z wins here. The Camaro's 20 inch wheels and mid-corner understeer don't help it's reflexes and massively overstyled steering wheels don't help either.

Value:Tie
370Z is great sports car for the money, the Camaro SS is a great muscle car for the money.

Styling:Tie
The Camaro is a looker, as many members may confess, but so is the 370Z. Though the Camaro's lines are more defined, giving it a more macho/techno/futuristic-esque look; while the Z maintains a sexy, albeit slightly feminine, shape that appeals to just as many people.

Day-to-day livability:370Z
Very close here, the Camaro has back seats, but almost no average sized adult in their right mind could fit in the back seats with someone of similar heigth in front. The 370Z gets better gas mileage(owing to 2.7 liters less displacement and 2 less cylinder, 100 hp down on the SS as well), more usable trunk area as well.

Practicality:Tie
The Camaro is more pracitcal because it has back seats, but the 370Z is really practical because it has real outward visibility and a usable trunk/hatch(although it may be smaller it is much more accessible than the Camaro's trunk.)
08-G35s/6MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 06:18 AM   #244
King Sun
Casual Camaro Owner

Drives: 2010 Black LS V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08-G35s/6MT View Post
Apples to Oranges if you ask me....
I would say go with 370Z if you want something a little more practical(granted you don't have litte ones that you will have to carry in back), more fuel efficient, and is more driver-involved in the whole experience. Then again get the Camaro if you care about raw-unadulterated straight line performance and stunningly good looks, though they are becoming a bit too common, I saw 4 at a stoplight the other day. See one every 5 minutes, I swear.

Camaro SS=4-seater Muscle Car

Nissan 370Z=Full on 2-seater Sports Car

Straight Line Performance:Camaro SS
13.0 in the 1/4 mile or less, the Z is a half second off that pace, 0-60 is closer(4.7-5.0 vs 4.9-5.2), however. Slight edge for Camaro in 0-60 and a substantial one in the 1/4 mile.

Cornering:370Z
Better f/r weight distribution and turn in, with a lighter curb weight or shorter wheel base, the Z wins here. The Camaro's 20 inch wheels and mid-corner understeer don't help it's reflexes and massively overstyled steering wheels don't help either.

Value:Tie
370Z is great sports car for the money, the Camaro SS is a great muscle car for the money.

Styling:Tie
The Camaro is a looker, as many members may confess, but so is the 370Z. Though the Camaro's lines are more defined, giving it a more macho/techno/futuristic-esque look; while the Z maintains a sexy, albeit slightly feminine, shape that appeals to just as many people.

Day-to-day livability:370Z
Very close here, the Camaro has back seats, but almost no average sized adult in their right mind could fit in the back seats with someone of similar heigth in front. The 370Z gets better gas mileage(owing to 2.7 liters less displacement and 2 less cylinder, 100 hp down on the SS as well), more usable trunk area as well.

Practicality:Tie
The Camaro is more pracitcal because it has back seats, but the 370Z is really practical because it has real outward visibility and a usable trunk/hatch(although it may be smaller it is much more accessible than the Camaro's trunk.)

lol @ the 100's for 350z's on the road. and I know your talking about a 370z but they all look the same
King Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 07:33 AM   #245
googleyes

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS LS3
my brother used to have zx300(15 years ago) it used to be out of this world sport car, there is one feature the camaro lack, suspension control and the car height adjustment which is now is used in the purche. it used to have 3 options key to play with.
Before the z350 came out i was looking forward what new technology they are gona improve. BUT they drow back everything from the look to the crap inside the car. since that day i consider it as the Accord coupe, just another car with 2 doors. no matter what you try to improve the look the performance you cant get it to the top of the list not even close. Ohh and twin turbo amazing at that time not even z28 could do anything. When was the 1st Skyline produced?
10/26/2010 - (2500) Order Preferenced Order pulled to the production system
10/26/2010 - (3000) Order accepted by production control. Parts being ordered
10/27/2010 - (3100) Order available to sequence.
10/27/2010 - (3300) Order Scheduled for Production 10/28/2010 - (3400) Order Broadcast
11/11/2010 - (3800) Order produced
11/11/2010 - (4000) Vehicle available to ship
11/11/2010 - (4B00) Your car is bayed and is waiting
11/15/2010 - (4200) Shipped
googleyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 05:15 PM   #246
Bad70supreme

Drives: 2010 aqua blue SS/RS M6
This is the bottom line for every VS thread, there is no comparing anything to the new camaro!!!! Thats it... there is not one car out there that had such a big draw when the concept came out, its style is in its own class, and as far as performance goes When did they ever make the camaro perform as good as it does now! Never... this is the most powerfull, best looking, best handling camaro EVER! Every real camaro guy knows this and it does not matter what other car out there can run with it! REAL camaro guys never even would consider picking a 370Z or 5.0! They dont compare...even if they can compete... get my drift! So if you need to ask your self this question, I dont think you should get a camaro.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:57 PM   #247
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS VR/BLK A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad70supreme View Post
This is the bottom line for every VS thread, there is no comparing anything to the new camaro!!!! Thats it... there is not one car out there that had such a big draw when the concept came out, its style is in its own class, and as far as performance goes When did they ever make the camaro perform as good as it does now! Never... this is the most powerfull, best looking, best handling camaro EVER! Every real camaro guy knows this and it does not matter what other car out there can run with it! REAL camaro guys never even would consider picking a 370Z or 5.0! They dont compare...even if they can compete... get my drift! So if you need to ask your self this question, I dont think you should get a camaro.
Amen. The extent of my "car shopping & comparing" was what color do i want most. I left the shopping and comparing to my wife for her new car. Told her anything you want. You decide it all i will just be there to haggle prices. After all was said and done she drove a shiny new 2010 Chevy Traverse off the lot.

daveagogo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 11:38 AM   #248
Bad70supreme

Drives: 2010 aqua blue SS/RS M6
Thank you, a real camaro guy
Old 01-24-2011, 09:45 AM   #249
LYCAN
Tattooed K9

Drives: E63AMG
I checked out a red 2010 370Z Nismo and the 2011 Camaro SS and liked the SS more. Both were on par reliability-wise. Nissan these days isn't all that hot to trot if you check out the reviews, and neither is Chevy. You have to step past the "fanboys" on both sides. Both are rated as average by JD Powers and others---which they are. BMW or Mercedes quality they are not. But I didn't buy one to take the place of a Camary or a Prius.

If I was going to track the car I would have gone with the 370Z hands down. However, if I was choosing a track car it would probably be on old cheap Stang fox body or Miata (fun track cars). Watching these two classes run at Mid-Ohio is good, clean fun. But for normal day to day driving and some occasional "spirited" running my choice is the Camaro SS hands down. I used to have a Vette ZO6 and found the day to day with it annoying. At 3000 pounds, 405 HP, and $6K in suspension mods it would out corner and trump both the Camaro SS and the 370Z, but it was not my first choice as a daily street car sitting 2" off the ground with a suspension with almost no give. Having a car setup for the track on public roads is annoying. Trust me...been there done that. So basically what's the point? Bragging rights on forums?

I've been a biker for 25 years and raced a Ducati 848 and R1 for two years on the track. I always hated "Internet Bikers" who sit on forums talking smack and debating between the R1 and ZX10 getting all rev'd up about spec sheets, articles, and other BS. Most of them didn't even have motorcycle endorsements, but where getting all bent out of shape while arguing over absurd things like whether the R1 or or ZX10 would pull harder over 150 MPH. Seriously? Most of these guys could barely ride a bike proficiently let alone ride like Aaron Yates. But you see these squids everyday out in traffic sitting on their chromed-out R1, no riding gear, no skill whatsoever, only able to blast off in a straight line, and when they come to a tiny curve in the road slamming on their brakes in a panic because they never learned to properly corner with a bike. Wikipedia the term "SQUID" and you'll know who I'm talking about. There is no rider outside of a competitive track rider who is ever going to take any of these bikes to their maximum potential. It's all e-peen squid forum talk. Same thing goes on car forums. The track is for racing...not the public roads. If you want to play boy racer and drive like Tanner Faust or Ken Block on public roads then you should get into track days. Here in DC we have them regularly at VIR (5 hours away) and Summit Point (60 minutes away).

So, back to the cars. The basic fact is that the overwhelming majority of 370Z and Camaro drivers are NOT track drivers, have never touched a track, will never touch a track, and are probably average drivers at best who do the occassional sprint off the line at a red light or carve a few corners on the back twisties on the way home from work. So, with that being said...why get so bent out of shape or obsessive about a car feature that the average driver will never hit the limits of? Answer...no reason. Unless you are running on a track you never hit the limits of what either of these cars will do.

The 370Z coming in at about 3300 pounds (not exactly a feather light) handles well, fun car, but not much trunk for luggage on a summer jaunt to the beach. Well, at least not the way my wife packs. That is kind of annoying. The car isn't exactly what I would consider "fast", the stock stereo is horrible, interior cabin loud (in the Nismo), gas gauge doesn't always work, ride can be overly harsh to some (again if you don't track the car why have a track setup for driving to work or the grocery store?), and the acceleration isn't exactly all that impressive. Yawn. Plus it looks like a billion other boy-racer cars on the road. Not to mention that I can drive up and down Rockville-Pike or over to Northern VA around Tyson's here in DC and see dozens upon dozens of 350Z and 370Z cars sitting on used car lots. Simple fact. That should tell you something. If you don't believe me call Criswell Chevrolet and ask them how many Z-cars they regularly get as trades. People seem to dump them as fast as they buy them. I noticed this when the 350Z first came out. Everyone was lining-up to buy one at Nissan dealerships and within about two years used car lots everywhere and Autotrader was flooded with people doing everything within their power to unload them. Simple fact. But the same can be said with Vettes and many other cars as well...in time the Camaro as newer and newer things hit the market. Some people buy them and say "Hey this car isn't for me or isn't what I thought it was" and dump them.

The Camaro SS coming in at 3900 pounds is a pig for a track car. It would NOT be my first choice if that was my intent. Yes, you can dump $3K to $5K into the suspension, but it isn't going to hang with a Vette on a road course. If that is your intent look elsewhere. The interior has some cheap plastic parts, no friggin spare tire on the SS models, and the visibility for some is a PIA. To me at 6'0" I have no issues with it other than having to pay extra attention backing up in tight spaces. The same thing plagues the 370Z, GT40, some Vettes, and many other cars. Deal with it or go buy a Camary. The handling in the car (for spirited driving from time to time) in my opinion is good. It's not "track good" but it handles it's business just fine for what I would want it to do on public roads. The seats to me are great (better than my ZO6, but not was good as my M3), the BA stereo is ok, Tremec and Hurst shifter are awesome, brakes steller, trunk space is ok for two or three suit cases and a golf bag (yuk I hate golf), and the lights are great. Same with the 370Z. The big thing for me is the acceleration and "seat of the pants meter" is outstanding--without a doubt. Much more fun to drive than my electronic overloaded M3. Plus the looks of the car are awesome. In time, you'll probably find a lot of them on used car lots as well. Camaros aren't known for holding value that well...neither are 370Zs. The shortest book ever written was entitled "Collectable Japanese Sportscars". I did have a Supra Turbo though. That was collectable. At the same time our Maros aren't going to be in any hall of fames either.

Summary---buy which one you like. Neither is a 911TT, but enjoy them for what they are. The 370Z has the corner carve factor and the Camaro SS has the knock you back in the seat factor. Both are good, but intended to appeal to two different crowds. You can't go wrong with either. Buy which one appeals to you most, but don't get too crazy over which one the "Stig" could driver better. You ain't the Stig. Neither am I.
Prior Project Cars: 96 WS6, 96 Steeda Cobra, 93/74/99/01ZO6 Vettes, Supra Turbo, and BMW M3.

Last edited by LYCAN; 01-25-2011 at 12:49 AM.
LYCAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 08:13 PM   #250
OverZeaLouS

Drives: 17 Camaro 2SS & 16 acura TLX
Quote:
Originally Posted by JewelZ View Post
370? are you serious? for the amount of money you pay for the 370 you could mod the hell out of the Camaro and turn it into a jet... lolz... you cant only look at certain factors in car comp. economy, price, performance, interior, comfort, size, weight... in too many ways does the camaro kill the 370
I am in Camaro fan who in the end when it came time to choose which car I was going to spend my money on I spent it on a 370z. Reason being, as fun and as Torquay the Camaro was...Z handling was enormously better. The automatic Z, with paddle shifters accelerates in the quarter mile in 13.1 seconds. With intake and exhaust and tune you're pulling about 12.8 seconds on the quarter mile.
The Z, has enormously more feedback on the steering wheel, has a superior seating position, has an appropriate ride height and low enough to the ground to fill one with a car.
The Z is everything the Camaro is not. And the Camaro is everything the Z is not. It doesn't make the Z a bad car or a Camaro a great car. Or vice versa! What it proves is that these are two cars with two different philosophies and both are great in their own right. At the end it's what you choose to be more fun.

The q60 coupe will be the true competitor of the Camaro.
Tha Z will always be a affordable Porsche Cayman. Hopefully by next generation it will be closer to an Alfa Romeo 4c. As the Camaro v6 is now closer to a Q60 for the 6th generation.
OverZeaLouS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 09:50 PM   #251
72MachOne99GT
Anthrax Popcorn User

Drives: 2013 GT500
I pray to GOD you're emplyed in the healthcare field.

Excellent revival. Spread your good works to humankind! Let us all rejoice!
Quote:
...if you want to compare performance numbers, well, the GT500 retains it's title of the highest hp, worst performing car in the world.
72MachOne99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 05:00 AM   #252
AzItaliaSS

Drives: 2010 2ss RJT LS3 GONE....
you sure nowadays

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrizzard View Post
BTW the Camaro is what we call a muscle car! No sake needed!
More like "did call" sally!
You sure about that? After the VP himself announced it as a new generation of "sports car"? After they snubbed the car down to "sports car" size and added a turbo addition? Still sure about muscle?
People are arguing about direct competition for the new Camaro and mentioning all imports, still think its a "muscle car"? smaller size, turbo appeal, it was obvious the direction GM went it is not muscle car, sorry to say. those days are gone, welcome to world of fart can mufflers and turbos.

VARARAM, SWSP 1 7/8 LT'S,X-PIPE,CAT DELETE,DYNOMAX RACE BULLETTS, LSR SHORT SHIFTER ,CUSTOM BLACK EMBLEMS,MPD1 SPOILER, HP TUNE BY GEARHEAD GARAGE, INTERIOR ABL LIGHTING, CUSTOM STRIPING BY BEAVER STRIPES, EIBACHS
AzItaliaSS is offline   Reply With Quote