Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 12-17-2016, 11:15 PM   #15
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
I Installed mine today. Drove about 40-50 miles through a canyon for the computer to do any necessary adapting. No codes.

Gonna be hydro-dipping this soon.

Before :

Removed :

Installed :

complete :
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 12:58 AM   #16
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
Looks awesome!
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 10:38 AM   #17
bishopski

Drives: 2016 Camaro LT | 3.6L V6 | A/T
Please keep us posted on the CEL. I want one but I dont want to deal with the CEL issue!!!!
bishopski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 10:41 AM   #18
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
1500 Miles on my AFE, and I've never had a CEL, all is good.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 12:28 PM   #19
cellsafemode

Two reasons I can see for a cel coming on after install. Assuming the installer tightened the clamps.

1. Check your sound tube. It is much more difficult to fully seat compared to the stock box.

2. Putting the maf sensor in backwards.

Unless you really missed something obvious, those are the only aspects of the new intake I can imagine being the cause of issues
Old 12-18-2016, 07:09 PM   #20
GTIanZ28

Drives: 2016 V6 RS Camaro 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by revhead60 View Post
I checked all my fittings and they seemed ok these clamps are hard to tell how tight they are seems like you can tighten and tighten and they just keep going so I gave it a couple more turns on the clamps and checked the other fittings, reset my light and ran it the temp outside went back up in the 50s and 60s stayed off for three days then the temp went back down in the 30s and 40s and it came back on. I didn't reset the light and just drove it and it went off after 50 miles. The temps been staying in the 40s during the day and 30s and 20s at night. It stayed off for a couple of more days and then I was it line at the bank and idling for awhile and it came back on then drove it another 50 miles and it went back off so in my opinion it must be teetering on the lean limit when it's cold. I couldn't put the plug in because I misplaced it so I had to order one it will be here in a couple of days. I'm still going to try that and see what happens. I know everything is tight the maf sensor plug lock is locked and I even bought some maf sensor cleaner and cleaned the sensor because I was told that the filter might of had to much oil on it and got on the sensor but not the case. AFE still hasn't got back with me either.
I've had the same thing happen three times. Similar situations: cold temeratures 30-40 degrees, stop and go driving, over 30 minutes travel time, and it cleared on the next drive after 10 minutes or so.

One thing I notice is the throttle hanging on my 1st to 2nd shift. Whenever The throttle starts hanging I know the check engine light is going to pop on.

I bought a cheap little OBD scanner and it worked quite well. Scan all kinds of engine parameters real time. This is what pulled up when I checked codes and I don't currently have my check engine light on. Onstar emails said "bring your car in for an emissions problem".

Old 12-18-2016, 08:38 PM   #21
cellsafemode

So you have a hose / connection loose between the maf and the throttle body. possibly including the maf sensor connector itself.
Old 12-18-2016, 09:35 PM   #22
GTIanZ28

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
So you have a hose / connection loose between the maf and the throttle body. possibly including the maf sensor connector itself.
Ive checked it all. Nothing loose and everything installed properly.

I have a ported throttle body and ported/filled intake manifold by jason@jacfab. Think I simply have more airflow than the computer expects. Probably need a tune. Really tempted to get the Chevy intake and tune. Bet it resolves the issues.
Old 12-18-2016, 10:01 PM   #23
GTIanZ28

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
Two reasons I can see for a cel coming on after install. Assuming the installer tightened the clamps.

1. Check your sound tube. It is much more difficult to fully seat compared to the stock box.

2. Putting the maf sensor in backwards.

Unless you really missed something obvious, those are the only aspects of the new intake I can imagine being the cause of issues
#2: it's impossible to put in the maf sensor backwards. The screw holes don't line up properly.

#1: it was surprising how difficult that was to seat. Hope it's easier to take off.
Old 12-18-2016, 10:02 PM   #24
keysersoze

Drives: 16 Camaro
I went and checked my gm CAI there is no way to put in the MAF backwards and everything is tight. It has to be the car not understanding the 35% more airflow coming in and causing it to run lean. IDK why everyone wouldn't get it though.
keysersoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 10:20 PM   #25
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
Two things I've seen in person and read on here.

There is the GMPP intake post and a few are saying that they had a cel within 5 miles of install and the tune.

Personal experience, no cel with the afe on my car at all, but an install on a local guys camaro and he got a cel...bank 2 running lean.

The common thing I've seen and read for the ones with afe having a cel go off... manual (m6) car.

Not sure if it's the same for the GM intake, but so far with the afe, it's all been manuals. I wouldn't be surprised if the same with gm.

AFe is aware of it and have some solutions GTIanZ28. The guy locally has been in talks with em.

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 11:02 PM   #26
GTIanZ28

Thank you Power,

I'm not extremely worried about it. Just furthering the documentation.

One additional thing I'm seeing is that cold weather (dense cold air) might have a role to play in the cars running lean.
Old 12-18-2016, 11:04 PM   #27
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Has anyone done any comparisons with this system with the optional plug in and out, what differences ?sound? power? or neither?
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 07:53 AM   #28
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTIanZ28 View Post
Thank you Power,

I'm not extremely worried about it. Just furthering the documentation.

One additional thing I'm seeing is that cold weather (dense cold air) might have a role to play in the cars running lean.
I gotchya! One thing with the cold, when I installed pats (locally) we were still in the 60s and 70s. We were thinking the same, but that shoulda been warm enough we figure.

Their current solution was a different maf or different tube, if ya wanna check up on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
Has anyone done any comparisons with this system with the optional plug in and out, what differences ?sound? power? or neither?
None. Might notice something on and dyno since it is a variance, but in real world, nothing really. However if it allows more air in the box, why close it?

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2016, afe, camaro, cold air intake, lgx