Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-18-2011, 06:59 PM   #15
KEEP RT
Wonderfully Awful Idea

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
For the ones listed. Vararam isn't. I think this was done before the second version of the VR was released.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:20 PM   #16
TBone
Negative Camber Junkie

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3/6MN ABM 1 of 23
True.

T.
I can't wait for my next
Track fix.
DA HAWKS OWN DA CUP!!!!!
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:28 PM   #17
Tampa Tuning
Account Suspended

Drives: TAMPA TUNING FACEBOOK & INSTAGRAM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unit453 View Post
I think Vararam is the closest thing for a true cold air. Afterall, it does feed directly from in front of the radiator stack.
Yep, I just saw the pictures from the other thread, I agree with the vararam. On my C5, I have the Vararam system which pulls outside air from directly in front of the vette.

The vararams look like they pull in the air from outside the engine bay and that's what you should look for in a cold air intake.
Tampa Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:42 AM   #18
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil'sC5vette View Post
I havent seen a true Cold Air Intake yet for the Gen5s

Most of what Ive seen are systems that have a larger breather head larger pipe that relocate the filter, but none so far are collecting air from totally outside the engine bay area. There isnt much room to pipe your filter where it collects air outside the engine bay. So really your gains are from a larger, less restricted filter than stock, but not cooler air.

Now actually because your still going to breath in air from the engine bay, it will still have the same knock retard issues that your stock filter had. A tuner can reduce some of that factor by decreasing some tables in the IAT.
I would have to disagree with you. If you look at most of the better CAI's they are sectioned off from the engine bay. If you need further proof, look at the Jannetty test and see the delta from ambient. Seeing that you can't get any colder than ambient, a reading of 0-2 degrees above ambient is about as good as it gets, noting that the OEM box is as much as 4 degrees above.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:30 AM   #19
Tampa Tuning
Account Suspended

Drives: TAMPA TUNING FACEBOOK & INSTAGRAM
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
I would have to disagree with you. If you look at most of the better CAI's they are sectioned off from the engine bay. If you need further proof, look at the Jannetty test and see the delta from ambient. Seeing that you can't get any colder than ambient, a reading of 0-2 degrees above ambient is about as good as it gets, noting that the OEM box is as much as 4 degrees above.
Its ok to disagree, but what im telling you guys if you want your car to run the best have it pull the air from outside the engine bay. Capturing air from a sectioned off area of the engine bay over the front tire isnt much of a differance. Its a very nice clean, cool look, but im talking performance on the table.

Just think of this when your car is idling at a traffic light, the air temperture in the engine buy will increase over 20 degrees and will take more than five minutes of driving time to disapate. Your IAT sensor will continue to read that and add knock if it finds it nessessary on a hot day.

If your IAT sensor is reading true cold air, the temperture will still go up in the intake system, but disapate much quicker once you start driving.
Tampa Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:08 AM   #20
McBeevee
220/221 whatever it takes

Drives: See sig....
All I know is my Roto Fab hasn't hurt my car any. If it was, it would have been seen on the dyno.

2022 BMW X5 M50i
2022 Ram TRX
2021 GT500 CFHP
2016 Challenger Hellcat A8 1058whp/898wtq
1970 Chevelle SS396 4spd
McBeevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:11 AM   #21
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil'sC5vette View Post
Its ok to disagree, but what im telling you guys if you want your car to run the best have it pull the air from outside the engine bay. Capturing air from a sectioned off area of the engine bay over the front tire isnt much of a differance. Its a very nice clean, cool look, but im talking performance on the table.

Just think of this when your car is idling at a traffic light, the air temperture in the engine buy will increase over 20 degrees and will take more than five minutes of driving time to disapate. Your IAT sensor will continue to read that and add knock if it finds it nessessary on a hot day.

If your IAT sensor is reading true cold air, the temperture will still go up in the intake system, but disapate much quicker once you start driving.
Can't believe I'm going to say this, but I agree.

I noticed this too, when I installed my box type cai. You can look right down through the bottom of the box and see open access to the engine compartment. Although I've not seen it in person, fitting of the ADM scoop has to help some with the conditions you describe above. Unless the fit isn't snug.

I question the placement of the IAT sensor and how much temperature differential there is that's not able to be read as heat is radiated inside the duct. Material used matters. Don't believe it, after driving a while open the hood and put your hand on the duct. Think it's all radiated on the outside? Pull the filter off and check inside the tube. Nothing to debate, just try it. And fwiw, would it matter to a daily driver, depends on the temps and what intake you have.

She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:00 AM   #22
Roto-fab 1

Drives: 16 Camaro SS w/ Roto-fab CAI
]For those that aren't familiar with it, here is the stock duct that feeds air to our air box. the duct is in front of the radiator. As for isolating radiator/engine compartment air, you can see the fit of our air box. And yes, it does fasten on the bottom to maintain the fit you see in the picture.
I'm not implying that we run IAT at ambient all the time. However, temperature rise with our intake is very low. Even if temperatures are a few degrees above ambient when stationary, as soon as the car starts to move they go down immediately. When an efficiently designed air box is doing it's job well enough to start talking about 2 or 3 degree differences it becomes an insignificant point in terms of performance. On the other hand, you can't assume all air boxes are effective. They vary greatly from one manufacturer to the next.

[IMG]
Roto-fab 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:37 AM   #23
KEEP RT
Wonderfully Awful Idea

Just because I can't leave it alone.

Look at the size of that scoop. the opening is smaller than th tube feeding the throttle body. I thought the purpose was to increase cold fresh air flow to the engine?? If anything reduce the volume capacity of the ducting on its way instead of starting small then go bigger. It also adds more twists turns and bends on it's way. Dose anyone else see this? Thats another reason I like the VR.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:47 AM   #24
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Roto-Fab. Unless I'm not seeing it right isn't the bottom of your box open. It's hard for me to tell, because of the nice paint matching and the fact that I'm color blind?

She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:53 AM   #25
2quick

Drives: none
I think that we are one of the few who utilize the stock scoop.
2quick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:15 AM   #26
KEEP RT
Wonderfully Awful Idea

I'm probably gonna piss someone off here but will the manufactures please step up and acknowledge that they either are open at the bottom or use the stock square tube that is smaller than the one going to the TB? If so how is it so much better than stock? Remember a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link!
Old 01-19-2011, 09:37 AM   #27
Rcfiddy1
Sold car...

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2SS/RS #37115
ADM RaceScoop and CAI here.

ECS Novi 1500 Supercharged, LS3 conversion, Small blower cam, Alky Meth injection, 3:45 rear, BMR Suspension parts, 1LE Sways, Billy Boat ZL1 dual mode exhaust.
Rcfiddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:51 AM   #28
madmaxx18

Drives: 07_tundra/08_zo6
Hey I will trade my Cold air inductions cai for an adm one if anyone is interested.
madmaxx18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cai, cold air intake