Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

AWE Tuning

Old 09-06-2017, 02:06 PM   #1
Hero_Camaro

Drives: 2016 2.0T RS
Which one is better touch up paint?

I'm looking into buying touch up paint on my car I currently have the OEM touch up paint pen that is supplied by the dealer,I'm trying touch up some minor rock chips on my bumper ,I'm looking for perfect results without the use of sandpaper to have the paint chip blended in with the paint level.I've seen Dr Color chip on youtube and how perfect it blends in but Idk if its worth getting or not..any advice would be appreciated...
Hero_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 02:28 PM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Dr colorchip a good choice

Conventional application but good: automotivetouchup.com
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 03:43 PM   #3
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero_Camaro View Post
I'm looking into buying touch up paint on my car I currently have the OEM touch up paint pen that is supplied by the dealer,I'm trying touch up some minor rock chips on my bumper ,I'm looking for perfect results without the use of sandpaper to have the paint chip blended in with the paint level.I've seen Dr Color chip on youtube and how perfect it blends in but Idk if its worth getting or not..any advice would be appreciated...
Perfect results can only be obtained by a repaint. You can however get it to 95% by using the Langka Blob eliminator with your OEM paint.

Dr. Colorchip works well too, but the match wont be any different.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 09:52 PM   #4
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
I have the OEM, AC Delco Code G7QWA139X and DrColorchip 139X in Nightfall Grey Metallic (also known as Son of a Gun metallic.)

The Dr. Colorchip comes in a much easier to use bottle. You get four times more with DrColorchip (1 oz vs .25 oz.) I think the metallic flake in the DrColorchip looks better than the AC Delco. If you look at the pic below, the density of metallic flake of AC Delco looks higher than the density of flake in DrColorchip. In my opinion, after using both, DrColorchip looks better. The AC Delco also looks darker than the NGM paint on my car, in my opinion. That may be due to the higher density of flake. Your eyes may vary.

KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 03:39 PM   #5
Hero_Camaro

Drives: 2016 2.0T RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
I have the OEM, AC Delco Code G7QWA139X and DrColorchip 139X in Nightfall Grey Metallic (also known as Son of a Gun metallic.)

The Dr. Colorchip comes in a much easier to use bottle. You get four times more with DrColorchip (1 oz vs .25 oz.) I think the metallic flake in the DrColorchip looks better than the AC Delco. If you look at the pic below, the density of metallic flake of AC Delco looks higher than the density of flake in DrColorchip. In my opinion, after using both, DrColorchip looks better. The AC Delco also looks darker than the NGM paint on my car, in my opinion. That may be due to the higher density of flake. Your eyes may vary.

For someone with a summit white camaro what do you feel is better,and really gives results without sanding the chip...For me the OEM pen lacks proper application..the pen is useless since the clear coat is not mixed with the pen and u have to apply those separately I'm not a fan of mixing the clear coat and paint together as I might screw things up.The other way with applying the paint and letting it dry then applying the clear coat over isn't very sufficient either as in the end the clear coat will get a bit of dust spots and will be visible after sometime to which I had encountered...I look forward to hear your insight on Dr.Color Chip and what product package I should get etc.
Hero_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 06:23 AM   #6
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
Quote:
For someone with a summit white camaro what do you feel is better,and really gives results without sanding the chip...For me the OEM pen lacks proper application..the pen is useless since the clear coat is not mixed with the pen and u have to apply those separately I'm not a fan of mixing the clear coat and paint together as I might screw things up.The other way with applying the paint and letting it dry then applying the clear coat over isn't very sufficient either as in the end the clear coat will get a bit of dust spots and will be visible after sometime to which I had encountered...I look forward to hear your insight on Dr.Color Chip and what product package I should get etc.
Get real touchup paint. Automotive paint touchup.com carries the basecoat and clearcoat touch up paint. Then, go to an arts/crafts store like Michaels and get a fine
synthetic artist brush.

I did a few repairs on mine (which is summit white) and I can not tell where it was fixed even if I looked for it with a magnifying glass.

The clearcoat won't have too many dust particles if you apply each coat in several layers in short succession instead of one big glob.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 04:27 PM   #7
Papa Smurf
Cobalt SS Owner to Camaro

Drives: 2017 Chevy Camaro 2.0L Turbo
Quote:
Hes right about the color difference between the acdelco paint and drcolorchip. AcDelco is much darker. I have the hyper blue metallic camaro, 6th gen and made the mistake using the acdelco. Hopefully Drcolorchip saves the Day. I Also order Lanka blob eliminator for down the road future paint chips.
Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 08:11 PM   #8
wjones14

Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Competition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M 2012 2SS View Post
Perfect results can only be obtained by a repaint. You can however get it to 95% by using the Langka Blob eliminator with your OEM paint.

Dr. Colorchip works well too, but the match wont be any different.
+1 on the Langka Blob Eliminator. Very ease to use. I have a bottle of the OEM AC Delco Summit White touch up paint. I use a 000 artist paint brush to apply the paint, filling in the chip fully so it overflows slightly. Let it dry between 2 and 24 hours - I usually go 8 to 10 hours - and then [with nitrile gloves] use a cloth with some Langka solution to rub lightly over the paint chip. It takes less than 30 seconds before it starts to dissolve the paint. If you do it right, just the overflow is removed leaving the original chip filled flush with the surrounding paint.

The results are similar to Dr. Colorchip. I have used both, and personally prefer the original OEM paint with Langka. But Dr. Colorchip is great too.

Most of my experience with Langka and Dr. Colorchip was with my former Alpine White BMW. I bought both kits to compare them. I decided to stay with Langka with the Camaro. I hope I don't have to use it much. But I have already used the AC Delco touch-up and Langka solution on one minor chip on the Camaro and it worked perfectly.
Previous: 2018 Summit White 2SS 1LE; 2015 MINI Cooper F56 6MT; 2015 BMW M235i 6MT; 2003 MINI 5MT; 2005 Mustang GT 5MT
wjones14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 08:19 PM   #9
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
The procedure and skill used is really more important than exactly what type of paint you buy. The real key is to get the smallest amount of paint IN the Ding that covers it and not on the paint surrounding it. It is therefore easier to polish and level out 30 days later. You can use a toothpick, you can use an artist paint brush or the tool that Langa supplies, but my god don't use the paint brush that comes with any touch up paint..... it's worthless.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote