Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-08-2017, 10:59 AM   #1
h777

Drives: None
Anybody planning to learn stick in their new Zl1?

Hey guys. New to the forum here. Great resource of information. Just curious if some of you are planning to learn stick in their new ZL1? I have always gotten auto in my previous cars. Now that I have a 4runner as daily driver, I feel like I can get a fun car. I promised myself that the next car would be a 6 speed. Right now, I have an 05 Pontiac GTO (Red/auto).

Hopefully, there might be some people like me who never got the chance earlier to learn stick, but are at a point where it might be possible now. Like many, all the cars that my family owned were automatics. So, never really was taught it. Nor did I ever have any friends that had a 6 speed. Living in DC metro area, there is a lot of traffic to deal with.

I have to admit that the new 10 speed auto is interesting. Knowing my wonderful luck, the one time I was dead set on getting 6 speed, there is all this hype on the new 10 speed auto which is making it a little more tougher choice. Of course, I will wait for some reviews on what people think of it. Though, I would say I am leaning towards the 6 speed as of now.

Anyways, looking forward to hearing from some of you who either bought your ZL1 and learned stick for the first time, or are planning like me. I am guessing there is good amount of people like me who are thinking the same thing.
h777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 11:15 AM   #2
STLZL1

Drives: 18 ZL1 VERT
Please don't learn in your new Zl1.. Go test drive Honda Civic's until u find a dealership where the salesperson doesn't go on the test drive. Have someone with u that drives a stick take it to a huge parking lot and practice away.
STLZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 11:16 AM   #3
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
Your biggest issue will be getting the car off the dealer's lot. I would suggest finding someone you know that has manual and see if they'll let you practice in a large parking lot before hand.

The most difficult part of driving a manual is the initial take off. You have to get a feel for when the clutch starts to grab and giving the car gas. Once your moving, shifting between gears is fairly easy.
Old 01-08-2017, 11:28 AM   #4
vet757

Drives: ^^^This
This is a horrible idea.... I did this with my civic si (first car) and it was terrifying I cant even begin to imagine doing this on a beast like the ZL1. Just go to a local driving school and at least take a weekend class theyll teach you and you get to practice on their cars... is also going to be much cheaper in the long run.

Last edited by vet757; 01-08-2017 at 11:58 AM.
vet757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 11:30 AM   #5
Arka

Drives: 2016 Nightfall grey 2.0 1LT
It is gonna take you much more than ten minutes in a parking lot. Plan 2-3 hours in an empty parking lot with someone that can teach you. The new camaro has got the "Hill start assist" that makes manual driving very easy when you need to start on a Hill.
Arka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 12:03 PM   #6
FNxR3DNECK

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
I bought my SS 1LE knowing the basics of driving manual but still being very much a novice, it took me about a week to be fully confident/comfortable driving it. That said idk if learning on a ZL1 is a good idea haha
Old 01-08-2017, 12:24 PM   #7
Nick S

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
OP, I think everyone here is over reacting a little. I actually think it's easier to learn how to drive a manual on a car with more low end torque. You don't have to rev the engine as much prior to taking off in first gear. I bought a 2002 Camaro SS 6-speed manual as my first manual transmission car. I learned in that car and haven't looked back since. And no I didn't kill the transmission or the clutch learning. Just took my time and practiced the basics a lot.

Now I have a 2013 Camaro SS 1LE and I also have a 2016 Subaru STi for a winter fun car. I feel the STi is actually harder to drive because of the smaller engine and being turbo charged it does not have near the low end torque of the LS3. If I don't give it enough revs before taking off it will stumble and possibly stall. If I give it too much gas before taking off then it's jerky and bucks a lot. I have stalled the STi more times in less than a year than I have my 1LE in 3.5 years.

The biggest thing to learn will be starting out in first gear from a stop. I would find a friend or family member that knows how to drive a manual and have them drive it home from the dealership and then take you to a large open parking lot where all you do is practice starting in first gear. That will give you the best practice with the clutch and learning where the friction point is (how much travel you let the clutch out before it starts moving the car).

Now I wouldn't advise going out and driving it in busy traffic right away but you can practice at night and on the weekends in less traffic and work your way up to being more comfortable.

I think if you do decide to get a manual and learn how to drive it you'll enjoy the car in an much different way than you have enjoyed your Auto trans cars in the past. Adding the manual trans to the driving experience just cannot be replicated with an auto trans even if it is a PDK.

Good luck with your decision and I'm sure you will have a permagrin no matter which trans you choose to get!
Old 01-08-2017, 12:34 PM   #8
JacobC1983

Drives: 2019 ZL1
My 2013 ZL1 was my first car that was a manual. Bought it new. Took a bit to learn but I had driven manual cars before (less than a total of an hour over the course of my life). It can be done!! I drove it off the lot and home.

The important question is do you know how? Not if you can, but you know the mechanics. As a car guy I am sure you do, you can put it all together.
JacobC1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 01:03 PM   #9
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick S View Post
OP, I think everyone here is over reacting a little. I actually think it's easier to learn how to drive a manual on a car with more low end torque. You don't have to rev the engine as much prior to taking off in first gear.
BINGO!

I did the very same thing in 2012, as h777 is asking about here.

It can be done. The big engine/big torque helps tremendously, and the cars are not made of glass.....

I would advice, though, that you learn the basics of operation at least, before you take it off the lot. My very first stall was 1 mile down the road from the dealership...but at least I got it off the lot with some dignity.

Good luck with whatever choice you make!
Old 01-08-2017, 03:26 PM   #10
BlueSteel07

Drives: Nothing
[QUOTE=Nick S;9494181]OP, I think everyone here is over reacting a little. I actually think it's easier to learn how to drive a manual on a car with more low end torque.

I agree. My 03 cobra with a 2.3L Blower was much easier to drive than my 2011 ford focus 5 speed. I never killed my cobra from a stop but I have a few times in my focus. I don't even think I had to give the cobra gas to get it going, but the focus takes a lot more effort since it doesn't have near the torque and can stall quite easily.
BlueSteel07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 03:29 PM   #11
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
I would go for it. Best best is to practice a bit with another car first. If not, be very respectful of the car. Esp when on cold tires/weather. If you drive it like a granny when learning there should be nothing to worry about. The trouble starts when you want to drive fast with little experience.

I would start in a big open parking lot to get a feel of the clutch/throttle modulation.

https://youtu.be/aryOUBzWaTI

When you get the hang of it there is heal and toe downshifting.

https://youtu.be/f6yAO1ziQ8o

Here is is demonstrated by a master. Old video but still very valid to properly driving a manual. It is a very engaging way to drive.

https://youtu.be/kzLjZWrpzmQ
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 03:56 PM   #12
Arka

Drives: 2016 Nightfall grey 2.0 1LT
Like the the gen6 SS, I guess the Zl1 is gonna have the throttle blip to help when downshifting. I have learned driving and been driving manual cars all my life. The only thing I would recommend is not doing your first time with a Zl1. If you can afford this kind of car, I guess you can offer yourself a 1 or 2 hour driving lesson. Your Zl1 gearbox is gonna thank you !
Arka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 07:42 PM   #13
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Yeah I forgot about that auto blip. Some might like it, I would turn it off and do it myself. I still would not worry about learning in a ZL1. Its not like learning on a three on the tree with wiped out bushings or something. Biggest thing is respect the throttle, thats going to get you in trouble regardless of the trsnsmission.
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 10:51 PM   #14
17CamaroZL1
Life's Short, Live Fast!

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue A10 ZL1
Like many have said, the monsterous low end torque of the LT4 should make pulling out a piece of cake with a little practice. I could very, very slowly release the clutch on my 99 Trans Am that probably had half of the low end torque of the LT4, and it would pull out without even giving it any gas at all. You can do that with most vehicles actually, but it is way easier with lots of torque. The hardest part will be learning to do it all smoothly.
Life's Short, Live Fast! https://youtu.be/rTUv2p4T7OA 10.94 at 128 mph, 11.13 at 127mph 870 DA, https://youtu.be/e_X_LcpFp50 11.19 at 127mph 1100 DA, https://youtu.be/OXQiCQdQuH4 11.40 at 125mph 1800 DA
https://youtu.be/uWba1qs8M6Q 11.52 at 123mph 3500 DA
TZQPHG '17 ZL1 HBM|A10|Nav|PDR|CFW Hood|ZL1 Mats

12/26/2016 Ordered!
2/8/2017 Built!!
3/2/2017 Brought Home!!!
17CamaroZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote